Reproduction WWII Service Cap

SocietyBrandHatCo

SocietyBrandHatCo

I have been fascinated with WWII headgear for years, and have a decent collection of service caps. I am one of those reenactors though who has evolved to the point where I am paranoid about wearing my original service caps "out on the town" anymore. This is because I once went to a swing dance wearing a mint service cap, and when I left I discovered to my horror it was pouring rain outside. My nice wool service cap got drenched on the way to the car and shrunk.

Ever since I have been almost anal about my caps. I have discovered, however, that there are few decent reproductions out there to be had, especially the enlisted caps. I think one of the problems with the reproductions is that the pattern is off, maybe because some of them look like they are patterned after a more modern design. So I decided to reproduce my own.

I had a ratty service cap, so I carefully disected it and made a pattern. After about 12 man hours of improving the pattern, it's just about finished. The original I copied was a private purchase cap, made of cotton twill, with no lining (as is common among summer service caps). It was also very crushable, since it had a leather frame instead of the wicker basket weave frames (you see these the most on USN, USMC, and post-war caps). I haven't reproduced the chinstraps yet, so I realize it is missing on the cap here, but I'd like to get some feedback from my fellow reenactors. Any thoughts? I am open to constructive criticism.

34130128.jpg

77863369.jpg

71817329.jpg

50810494.jpg

29926767.jpg

You done a great job.Very nice recreation.You definately have talent!!!

I think you would give the war time Indian tailors a run for their money :lol:;)

Very nice job and from what I've seen, a lot better than the stuff coming out of India! I posted a thread on repro officer's service caps once, but you are correct that EM caps are not being reproduced as well.

SocietyBrandHatCo

I appreciate the kind words. Here is a photo of the completed reproduction cap (left) and the original I copied (right).

imagewzm.jpg

SocietyBrandHatCo

Incredible! I like the repro better! Now you can make some money!

Ronnie

Thanks! You really think I could make money on these?

I agree with the above comments and would be interested in one when you think you can figure out a price for one. I'm going to go Navy as a reenactor. As you know, GOOD/OUTSTANDING products are priced high (Eastman Leather Clothing) but you get what you pay for.

Cheers!

~J~

SocietyBrandHatCo

If I made crusher caps in khaki (enlisted and officers) and officers olive drab elastique and pink elastique would anyone be interested? I will of course post some photos as soon as I have each type finished. I am asking because I ran a price check on wool elastique and it is very expensive. I'm trying to see if there's any interest out there for these. I'd like to make one for myself in elastique but would like to use the rest of the wool for something (like extra caps).

• 1 month later...
dakotanorth

Looks good! I've wondered about making slip covers for service caps.

There are some modern one floating around that happen to have russet brown leather- the Italian one on Sportsmansguide looked fairly close.

(I ordered one- it was too small and honestly, really, REALLY cheap quality....)

If I made crusher caps in khaki (enlisted and officers) and officers olive drab elastique and pink elastique would anyone be interested? I will of course post some photos as soon as I have each type finished. I am asking because I ran a price check on wool elastique and it is very expensive. I'm trying to see if there's any interest out there for these. I'd like to make one for myself in elastique but would like to use the rest of the wool for something (like extra caps).

I would start off with khaki officers and enlisted caps. There are a few companies making wool officer's ones already, but no enlisted versions that I'm aware of.

Here's Diamond Cap's link: http://www.diamondcapco.com/

And WPG's khaki officer's cap: http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=5101&bc=no

US Wings: http://www.uswings.com/crushcap.asp

• 3 weeks later...
dakotanorth

I was wondering the same thing actually.

I picked up a few yards of elastique from American Patrol Canvas Company- it was pricey, but great stuff.

Finding a cap in MY size is basically impossible- I wear a 7-5/8.

Johnny Signor

One "suggestion" on the visor thread I would try a thread that is slightly a darker color , it stands out a little too much , other than that GREAT work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i have my father in laws for and aft car/overseas cap( C##T Cap) he was army air force a captain i beleive. WWII of course.

187thAirborne

I have noted a number of military caps on sale (auction) at Ebay.com some alleged to be original ??

• 2 months later...
SocietyBrandHatCo

Okey dokey everyone, I received quite a few pm's about repro service caps so I've set up a website displaying my products. I still have some updates and photos to add, but this should give everyone a good idea what I can make, and a great alternative to $300 repro crusher caps. Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to this, but I've had a lot on my plate. These are made-to-order caps, customizable to a degree by the buyer. Just follow the link:

www.wwiihats.com

• 4 weeks later...