17th Airborne Flags

Gliderinf

On 1/11/2012 at 3:25 AM, poch said:

The 194th GIR had flag. I have a picture from John J. Schumacher D.comp. HQ.

Photos by R. Capa from LIFE magazine are great. Lots of photos are in the book The Sky men. There is also written that 513th PIR had new uniforms for Varsity so I suppose that also flags was new one.

Would love to see that picture. I know John personally.

Photos by R. Capa from LIFE magazine are great. Lots of photos are in the book The Sky men. There is also written that 513th PIR had new uniforms for Varsity so I suppose that also flags was new one.

Kurt Barickman
On 2/11/2012 at 8:45 PM, J_Andrews said:

Bob Baldwin of Co H, 507 PIR gave me a unit-made, silk-screened flag, in un-used condition. It still have it.

He said that it became clear in the few days before the op while in the marshalling area that there were not enough flags for everybody. He -- an amateur artist then and a professional one in later life -- and a handful of others made up a silk screen, using as base material window shades they pulled out of offices/rooms. The silk screen was made using "trash bin" old, weathered silk from the riggers (useful only for patching cargo chutes). Nice new silk would not have been porous enough. They only liberated a few window shades before "getting caught". They made only 50-100 flags and they may have all stayed within 2/507 if not just Co H.

I corresponded with Bob Baldwin many years ago and if I remember correctly he was an artist or illustrator. He personally knew Robert Porterfield and saw him killed in action on Varsity. Porterfieldś group is shown in Dave´s new Purple Heart book; a friend of mine got that group from Porterfileld´s sister.

Kurt