Named PT Boat Sailor's uniform and "Knights of the Sea" book

Rakkasan187

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Rakkasan187

I would like to present to all of you the Navy Blue uniform of Motor Machinist Mate Second Class (PT) Clayton R. Stocker.

This is a follow up for a uniform that I purchased last year and that I have been doing research on from January 2013 until just last month. I am very happy with the outcome of research and information that I obtained from NARA. I had decided that when I sent a request for records that if I did receive information back, I was going to try to restore the ribbons on the uniform. I was very happy to receive a reply back from NARA within a few weeks of sending my request in. The response from NARA was positive and based on the information from the records clerk, the file was rather large. I quickly sent my check out and waited for the records. Earlier last month I received a large manila envelope with 51 pages of documents. The information I had received was more than enough to start to rebuild the ribbon rack. Much to my surprise as I read through the documents, a late award of the Purple Heart was also authorized and issued. Although not on the original discharge papers, I was able to read through and find that the sailor had been wounded in action in August 1944. It was not until 3 years later in 1947 that the Purple Heart was awarded.

With the help of some forum members, I was able to reconstruct the ribbon rack based on all information that was in the sailors file.

Motor Machinist’s Mate 2nd Class Clayton Stocker was inducted into the US Navy at the United States Navy Recruiting Station, Cleveland, Ohio on February 2, 1943. His initial entry rating was Apprentice Seaman. He was sent to the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in Illinois and upon completion was qualified as a Fireman 3rd Class (Motor Machinist Mate). On April 20, 1943, Stocker was transferred to the University of Illinois (NTSch) Naval Training School (Diesel) for a course of instruction on duties and responsibilities of: (Motor Machinist Mates). He completed a course of instruction in the diesel school and was transferred to the Receiving Station in Boston, Massachusetts for duty in Motor Torpedo Boat Training Detail on July, 20, 1943. On August 14, 1943 Stocker reported for duty at the MTBS (Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron) Training Center, at Portsmouth, Rhode Island, and his rating changed from Fireman 3rd Class to Fireman 1st Class. On November 11, 1943, after completing his training he was transferred to the Receiving Barracks in Shoemaker, California for a follow on transfer to Motor Torpedo Boat duty in the Pacific theater of operations. On November 25, 1943 Stocker boarded the United States Army Transport (USAT) MS Pennant for transportation outside the continental United States. On December 4, 1943 he crossed the Equator while enroute to the Pacific.

In January 1944, Stocker arrived at Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 12, and his rating changed from Fireman 1st Class to Motor Machinist Mate 3rd Class. In May, 1944 Stocker was again promoted to Motor Machinist Mate 2nd Class and in October 1944, he was again promoted to Motor Machinist Mate 1st Class (T) (Temporary). This advancement was to fill a vacancy according to his records but it was later rescinded as Stocker was not eligible due to lack of time in the lower rate. No time was waived for his promotion and thus he was demoted to Motor Machinist Mate 2nd Class.

While serving aboard PT boats, Stocker made 51 patrols into enemy territory and it had been determined that Stocker had been under fire of enemy guns approximately 18 times, and according to his commanding officer, “Always displayed coolness in the performance of his duties”. Additional information that was found in his service record indicated his place of duty was “engine room” and his duties included: maintenance, operation and routine checks on Packard V-12, 1350 & 1550 H.P engines. Assisted in conversion from 1350 to 1550 H.P. (Horsepower) During General Quarters, manned twin .30 and .50 caliber machine guns and manned engine room compartment.

On August 10, 1944, Stocker was wounded due to enemy action while conducting combat operations in the Western New Guinea area. His records did not indicate the type of wounds but the Purple Heart was awarded on June 3, 1947.

By Authority contained in OpNav General Order No. 207, Stocker was authorized to wear the American Theater Campaign Ribbon for patrols in the Atlantic, and the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Ribbon with (3) Bronze Stars for Participation with this command in the New Guinea and Bismark Archipelago Campaigns and the Presidential Unit Citation with one star, and the World War Two Victory ribbon.

In Stocker’s file was a copy of the orders dated January 24, 1944 awarding the Presidential Unit Citation:

General Order 187 dated 3 February 1943.

1. The Presidential Unit Citation has been awarded to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron TWELVE for outstanding performance from October, 1943 to March, 1944.

2. In accordance with reference (a) above the following men who were attached to that unit and who participated in the action for which it was cited are authorized to wear the enclosed ribbon bar with blue enamel star. (Stocker, Clayton R) was second on the list of four personnel.

On February 10, 1945, it was recommended that Stocker be granted 30 days of rehabilitation leave since he had been out of the continental United States for at least 15 months and on the same day he was transferred to a receiving station on the West Coast of the U.S. for further transfer to the MTBSTC, Melville, Rhode Island.

Stocker reported aboard the SS Monterey on February 28, 1945 and on March 16, 1945 arrived at the Receiving Station in San Francisco, California. He departed on March 18, 1945 enroute to the M.T.B.S.T.C., (Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Training Center) in Melville, Rhode Island, where he arrived on April 23, 1945.

On April 23, 1945 Stocker reported for duty at Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 4. On May, 9, 1945 orders arrived at Melville, Rhode Island recognizing that Stocker would be awarded the Presidential Unit Citation while assigned as a member of Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Twenty-One for the period October 1943 to March 1944.

On May 30, 1945 Stocker was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation ribbon with Star. Citation was awarded to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Twelve for outstanding performance from October 1943 to March 1944. Both PT squadrons 12 and 21 were assigned to the Southwest Pacific area and according to information both units were located in the same areas.

On October 29, 1945 Stocker was interviewed and was considered a HARDSHIP case and was transferred to the US Navy Personnel Separation Center, in Boston, Massachusetts. Stocker was entitled to an Honorable Discharge and his military career came to a close on November 4, 1945.

While assigned to the PT Squadrons, Stocker was a crew member on board PT Boats 146, nicknamed “GREEN HORNET” and “LUCKY LADY”, PT Boat 191, nicknamed “BAMBI” and PT Boat 193, “BITCHIN WITCH”.

The following information on the PT Boats that Stocker was a crewmember on was gathered from the unit history “KNIGHTS OF THE SEA: These 3 boats were all 80 foot ELCO boats and were all assigned to MTB Squadron 12.

PT boat 146: Transferred to MTB RON 12 from RON 2 on June 1, 1943, placed out of service and destroyed, October 26, 1945.

PT boat 191: Placed in service February 24, 1943, placed out of Service, October 26, 1945.

PT boat 193: Placed in service February 27, 1943, destroyed to prevent capture, June 25, 1944.

The following is the Presidential Unit Citation awarded to both Motor Torpedo Boat Squadrons 12, and 21:

“For outstanding performance during the Huon Peninsula Campaign against enemy Japanese forces from October, 1943, to March 1944. Highly vulnerable to damage from treacherous reefs and grounding during close in shore patrols, Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron TWELVE spearheaded a determined water-borne attack on the enemy, boldly penetrating hostile waters and disrupting barge traffic vital to the maintenance of Japanese strongholds in the New Guinea area. Dauntlessly exchanging gunfire with heavily armored gunboats and barges, airplanes and shore emplacements, the boats of squadron TWELVE have successfully diverted hostile artillery fire to themselves in protection of Allied Land Forces; they have steadily destroyed the enemy’s ships carrying troops, food and combat supplies; they have captured Japanese personnel and secret documents. Landed scouting parties in hostile territory and effected air and sea rescue missions. Tenacious and indomitable in the face of superior fire-power and despite frequent damage to boats and causalities among personnel, the officers and men of squadron TWELVE have fought gallantly and served with distinction in crushing enemy resistance in the strategically important area.

Hope you enjoy..

Here are some updated photos of the jumper with the addition of the 1/2 inch Navy/Marine Wolf Brown ribbons and WW2 era silk scarf.

Leigh

post-5554-0-35805600-1405648092.jpg

post-5554-0-31286700-1405648114.jpg

RustyCanteen

Excellent research, and a great uniform!

You certainly don't see too many PT uniforms, and fewer still with such great history.

Thanks for sharing,

RC

Great uniform, and I too wanted a PT boat jumper (and promptly informed my wife, lest she later forget) after visiting Fall River MA- Battleship Cove. What a cool place to spend a day! Not to mention great Azorean food a little further into town. Thanks for sharing!

SergeantMajorGray

In complement,
Some photos of my Navy talker helmet with PTB 205 and O'KEEFE marquing...

Holy crap that is the best talker helmet I have seen.

Rakkasan187

PT boat uniforms are still out there to be had. One recently ended on Ebay. It was for a gunners mate, and it was named. I confrimed the Sailor was assigned to a PT squadron. It actually went fairly cheap at $127.50...

I was thinking of bidding on it, but since I have one now, I don't really need another one...

Thank you for all the comments..

On to my next Navy project... An aviation ordnanceman jumper with an aerial gunner striker on the arm...And NARA has his records... Will be interesting to see if he was on a carrier or land based...Will update and post when I receive his records...

Leigh

Leigh, what a terrific jumper, and a job well done on the research. I'd love to add a patched PT example to the collection someday, if I'm lucky enough to stumble across one. I have patchless jumper to a yeoman who was assigned to MTB RONs 4 and 9 (if I recall correctly), but I don't think he was on any of the boats. I've flipped back to this page a few times over the past day and every time it's an impressive sight. Many congrats, and I can't wait to see the results for the aviation jumper.

-- Jon

Rakkasan187

A great thread!

Is there a Freddy Palmiteer (spelling)listed?

Terry,

I do have a Freddie Palmatier listed in the book. At the time of the printing in 1982, PT Boat Inc. listed Palmatier as deceased. I can't find any other information on him though, I did a quick ancestry search in the muster roles but did not find a Freddie Palmatier..

Leigh