Named PT Boat Sailor's uniform and "Knights of the Sea" book

Rakkasan187

A few years ago I decided that I would be selling the majority of my 40 year collection, but I am always looking for uniforms to add to and improve on the uniforms I will be keeping for display purposes. As I add new pieces, I sell other pieces. I had wanted a PT boat crew member uniform for some time, and a few months back I was lucky to obtain paperwork for a Sailor who was on a PT boat tender in the Mediterranean. I was able to get some scholl certificates and a lot of detailed information about this one particular Sailor, however, no uniform.

Recently I was able to obtain a great named and attributed PT boat uniform to a Sailor who was assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 12, which saw action in the Pacific.

Clayton Rea Stocker was a Motor Machinist Mate that served in MTB Ron 12. I have not yet confirmed if he was assigned to PT boat, but I was very pleased to obtain this uniform for my collection.

Within a day of obtaining this uniform, I also came to be the owner of a great book called "Knights of the Sea". This is a limited edition printing, and there were only 2000 copies printed, and my copy is numbered 13. the book is 513 pages long and is full of PT boat information, history, development, and most important, stories from PT boat veterans and casualty lists as well as PT boat members.

The book was written and designed by PT boat Inc. and there are 12 pages of names of members of PT Boats Inc that were assigned to or associated with PT boats during their service.

I was able to confirm that Clayton Rea Stocker was a member of PT boats Inc and his name is listed in the book.

I will now begin to search for information about this Sailors awards and decorations and if possible find out if he was on a PT boat.

Here are a few pictures of Stocker's uniform and some pictures of the pages inside the book. One of the most interesting shots in the book is the shot of a PT boat crew in camoflauge uniforms. They look like a Raider party and they have several captured Japanese weapons.

Comments welcome..

Leigh

post-5554-0-01837000-1360456390.jpg

post-5554-0-82718400-1360456404.jpg

post-5554-0-11293800-1360456436.jpg

post-5554-0-40486600-1360456446.jpg

post-5554-0-22345500-1360456470.jpg

More pictures..

post-5554-0-89448200-1360456789.jpg

post-5554-0-09420900-1360456797.jpg

post-5554-0-88470100-1360456807.jpg

The reason I posted the last picture was to show a comparison of the placement of insignia on my uniform and the Sailor pictured here.

I had doubts before I saw these pictures as to the placement of the PT emblem on the shoulder, but now I have no doubts.

Kurt Barickman

Congrats, I am the guy that made you pay for that one. Great grouping to a sailor in the only RON to get the USN USMC PUC! I am envious!

Kurt

Kurt,

Thank you very much. Yup it was a fight to the finish. I really am enjoying this one. This is a keeper for sure..

Leigh

I gotta look through my book for some info for you. Sorry, got busy! Your patch is in the same place my guy's patch is, by the way, except my guy was a F1c with a Motor Mac striker.

One thing I have to ask about is that African American fellow in the picture. Given how segregated things were, that's pretty interesting. Was it common for PT Boat crews to be somewhat integrated?

I grew up in Salem, NH, only about a 30 minute drive to Fall River, Massachusetts, which is home to "Battleship Cove" The Battleship USS Massachusetts, Destroyer Joseph P Kennedy Jr and a few other boats are docked their. What I remember the most was the PT boat with the Shark teeth painted on the front. When I was growing up this was an outside display. Fast forward to the 90's. When my son was born, we took a trip to see the ships again, and the PT baot was well preserved and inside. I remember my son was afraid of walking past the shark teeth on the front of the boat. He was afraid the shark was going to "munch" on him...

My connection to PT boats is not family related, which is to say no one in my family served on one, nor did we know anyone that did, but geographically where I grew up, there was so much history about the boats. Melville Rhode Island, home of the PT school was a short drive away, and of course John F. Kennedy museum in Boston where you can see the famous coconut message that was carved when he was shipwrecked, His Navy/Marine Corps medal, dress blue uniform and other items from his service in the Pacfic, and of course Hyanis, Massachusetts, the summer retreat for the Kennedy's, all these areas that my folks brought me to when I was growing up.

This uniform puts all those places into a better perspective and I can appreciate the uniform more since I have been to these places as a youngster.

I think this uniform is going to become one of my favorites in the collection..

Leigh

Bring it...

Leigh.

And all others are welcome to post their PT boat related items to this post..

Hey man, do you kind if i add my PT uniform to this post?

That's a good find and I especially like that book.

I don't want to be a pain but does your book have anything on a John W Pohl. I did find some info but still need to get his file.

I have a few of these uniform but some are unnamed.

Here's john w pohl uniform. I think he was in ron 37 which saw action in the Solomons, If I remember correctly.

post-2501-0-29776700-1360535061.jpg

Jason

Jason,

Pohl is listed in the book. No bio information but John William Pohl USN # 800-28-65 joined the Navy on 09 April 1943 in Albany, NY. He was assigned to MTB squardon 37 on the day of its commissioning, June 5, 1944. They served the Pacific fleet and saw action in the Solomon Islands, They were decommissioned in December 1945.

I have a John W Pohl who was bor on July 11 1916 and his date of death is listed as 09 February 2002. He is buried in a Cemetery in New York state, possibly the same person.

Leigh

Jason,

Pohl is listed in the book. No bio information but John William Pohl USN # 800-28-65 joined the Navy on 09 April 1943 in Albany, NY. He was assigned to MTB squardon 37 on the day of its commissioning, June 5, 1944. They served the Pacific fleet and saw action in the Solomon Islands, They were decommissioned in December 1945.

I have a John W Pohl who was bor on July 11 1916 and his date of death is listed as 09 February 2002. He is buried in a Cemetery in New York state, possibly the same person.

Leigh

Leigh,

I appreciate the info. He is on my long list of uniforms that need to be research. But will have it done soon.

Jason

ptboats.org is a great site. I've interviewed many PT boat veterans and will publish a book about their personal exploits at some time. They all sent me images to scan too. One fellow sent me over 150 photos, some of which included General MacArthur and his return to Tacloban. P.I. The PT vets I've interviewed served in the Mediterranean, English Channel. Aleutain Islands, and the South Pacific.

ptboats.org is a great site. I've interviewed many PT boat veterans and will publish a book about their personal exploits at some time. They all sent me images to scan too. One fellow sent me over 150 photos, some of which included General MacArthur and his return to Tacloban. P.I. The PT vets I've interviewed served in the Mediterranean, English Channel. Aleutain Islands, and the South Pacific.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your book.

Leigh

What is the story behind that PT 338 Picture? I'm really intrigued by it and would like to know more about the background and history.

-Josh

Hello,

Is there a O'KEEFE in the roster?

Hello,

The book lists a William G. O'Keefe. I also have infoirmation about a William C. O'Keefe, Radioman 3rd Class RM3C who was assigned to MTB 11. # 801-61-72

Also I found a John G. O'Keefe, Motor machinist mate 1st class MoMM1C 851-48-38. He also served in MTB 11.

Leigh

What is the story behind that PT 338 Picture? I'm really intrigued by it and would like to know more about the background and history.

-Josh

Hi Josh,

There are some stories written by Sailors who were on board this boat in the book. I thought the uniforms in the picture were very unique, and thus the reason I posted them. Glad to initiate responses.

Here is some information about PT 338.

PT-338 badly damaged by grounding, scrapped, Mindoro, Philippine Islands, 28 Jan. 1945.

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?14062

http://www.fold3.com/image/#287117255

http://www.fold3.com/image/#287117256

Leigh

That's an excellent uniform. The photograph of 338 had me puzzled. The individual weapons, the meatball flags, the uniforms....I wonder if that isn't a squad of Alamo Scouts, an army unit that did recon in the area 338 boat operated. Since the scouts used PTs for infiltration, it may be that those men were in fact Scouts who used the 338 boat for some missions. Could be wrong and likely am but it's possible that whoever captioned the photo for the book was working from something written on the back of the pic and just assumed it was a "crew" picture.