A New AF Rank?

patches

Nope-- Command Chief Master Sergeant. To quote from US,military.about.com:

What the first sergeant is at the squadron level, the Command Chief Master Sergeant is at the Wing, Major Command (MAJCOM), and Numbered Air Force Level. CCMs work directly for the Wing Commander, MAJCOM Commander and/or Numbered Air Force Commander. They advise commanders on matters impacting the enlisted force, such as proper utilization, quality of enlisted leadership, management/supervisor training, operations tempo, and quality of life. They monitor compliance with Air Force standards, serve on advisory councils, and maintain a close relationship with the local community. They maintain a liaison between their commander, the enlisted force, and staff members, and they communicate with commanders on problems, concerns, morale, and attitudes of the enlisted force. They also ensure their commander’s policies are known and understood by the enlisted force and serve as the functional manager for assigned first sergeants. CCMs are all in the pay grade of E-9.

The rank shown is not the Sargent major of the air force. Also im pretty sure they have a CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT OF THE AIR FORCE rather than Sargeant major

For referance this is the insignia for the CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT OF THE AIR FORCE

post-107343-0-37478200-1360397643.jpg

There is no "Sergeant Major of the Air Force", the top enlisted position is indeed "Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force", and that came into being in the late 60's. The Command Chief Master Sergeant is what was once "Senior Enlisted Advisor", (who wore no special chevrons).

Thank's one and all, Command Chief Master Sergeant it is one of the new ones then right? He would then have taken somewhat the role the old Chief Master Sergeants E-9 had. I seem to recall there was a older topic on "new" AF ranks anybody recall that one, if so could relink?

There are RANKS (Pay Grades) and then there are APPOINTMENTS/Positions.

In the Army, Master Sgts and 1st Sgts are equal in Rank (E-8). Then Sergeants Major are all E-9's (same RANK), BUT

they can by APPOINTMENT be plain old Sgt Maj, Command Sgt Maj or Sgt Maj of the Army.

In the USAF (IIRC) a "1st Sgt" can be as low as E-5 but wears the diamond above his stripes; USUALLY USAF "1st Sgts" are E-7s though.

In the USAF (IIRC) a "1st Sgt" can be as low as E-5 but wears the diamond above his stripes; USUALLY USAF "1st Sgts" are E-7s though.

Nope, to wear a USAF First Sergeant diamond, the member has to be E-7 through E-9.

Nope, to wear a USAF First Sergeant diamond, the member has to be E-7 through E-9.

As stated by Mr Andrews, and I quote USUALLY USAF "1st Sgts" are E-7s though. E-5s or E-6s being made 1st Sergeants, I,m sure would be in the early period in the 50s after the 1st Sergeant lozenge came out in 1955, and in 60s right?, but like in the Army of that day even up to my time in the early 80s, it would be as acting 1st Sergeant, in the AF, they had a good advantage in that they had this small separate cloth lozenge that could quickly be sewn on by any E-5, E-6 above their rank insignia, and just as quickly removed when the NCO no longer held that slot, the Army, well you know, the rank of 1st Sergeant was a rather permanent insignia and of couse an official E-8 Grade. Like I remember one time in Alaska in early 1982, our Platoon Sergeant was made acting 1st Sergeant of our company, Co A 4/9 Infantry, he was an E-7, but as you would guess didn't remove his subdued E-7 pins and pin on 1st Sergeant rank insignia's, he was still an E-7, he was our Top for two weeks till he was replaced by a Master Sergeant from HHC, who officially moved to the 1st Sergeant rank upon taking over, now if this was the AF, I gather the E-5 or E-6 would merely sew on the lozenge to signify his rank however temporary it would of been, and then when he was no longer in, or needed due to a E-7 or above taking over, and as mentioned removed the lozenge and revert back to his original command slot whatever that was.

Thank's one and all, Command Chief Master Sergeant it is one of the new ones then right? He would then have taken somewhat the role the old Chief Master Sergeants E-9 had. I seem to recall there was a older topic on "new" AF ranks anybody recall that one, if so could relink?

Like I said in my earlier post, the Command Sergeant Major is just a new title & chevrons for what was once "Senior Enlisted Advisor", which was a job at the Major Air Command level. No, the Command Chief Master Sergeant did not take the place of the place of every Chief Master Sergeant. All Chief Master Sergeants are at E-9 pay grade (yes even Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force - contrary to what some people think there is no such thing as an E-10).

As an aside, whenever an Air Force E-5 or E-6 fills a First Sergeants slot, it is only temporary and no diamond is worn. Back in the 60's an E-6 could be a First Sergent and wear the diamond, but at some point since then, the diamond was to only be worn by E-7, E-8 & E-9 pay grades that held the First Sergeant slot with in their squadrons.

I hope this helps with the confusion.

• 11 years later...
On 2/9/2013 at 7:18 AM, Lee Ragan said:

There is no "Sergeant Major of the Air Force", the top enlisted position is indeed "Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force", and that came into being in the late 60's. The Command Chief Master Sergeant is what was once "Senior Enlisted Advisor", (who wore no special chevrons).

Originally, back in the mid '60's, when Air Force officials were trying to figure out what to name the rank, Sergeant Major of the Air Force was considered before CMSAF was decided upon.  

Also, before there were Senior Enlisted Advisors, the top enlisted man in a Group or higher had a duty title of Unit Sergeant major.   There was no special insignia, as it was a duty title and not a rank.  My dad served as Wing Sgt. Major twice in his career, while his rank was MSgt.   

Marshallj
On 2/12/2013 at 12:43 AM, patches said:

As stated by Mr Andrews, and I quote USUALLY USAF "1st Sgts" are E-7s though. E-5s or E-6s being made 1st Sergeants, I,m sure would be in the early period in the 50s after the 1st Sergeant lozenge came out in 1955, and in 60s right?, but like in the Army of that day even up to my time in the early 80s, it would be as acting 1st Sergeant, in the AF, they had a good advantage in that they had this small separate cloth lozenge that could quickly be sewn on by any E-5, E-6 above their rank insignia, and just as quickly removed when the NCO no longer held that slot, the Army, well you know, the rank of 1st Sergeant was a rather permanent insignia and of couse an official E-8 Grade. Like I remember one time in Alaska in early 1982, our Platoon Sergeant was made acting 1st Sergeant of our company, Co A 4/9 Infantry, he was an E-7, but as you would guess didn't remove his subdued E-7 pins and pin on 1st Sergeant rank insignia's, he was still an E-7, he was our Top for two weeks till he was replaced by a Master Sergeant from HHC, who officially moved to the 1st Sergeant rank upon taking over, now if this was the AF, I gather the E-5 or E-6 would merely sew on the lozenge to signify his rank however temporary it would of been, and then when he was no longer in, or needed due to a E-7 or above taking over, and as mentioned removed the lozenge and revert back to his original command slot whatever that was.

551EE4C0-358F-43A4-8F28-53AEF31371D4.jpeg