Jungle Boots Circa 1965-1966

New Romantic

New Romantic

In the future I plan to do some Vietnam War living history and displays focusing on C 2/27th Infantry, 25th Division during 1966. This was my father's unit during his first of five tours of duty in Vietnam and that's why I plan to focus on that unit.

Other than the early OG 107 cotton sateen uniform I also plan to wear a set of the 2nd pattern tropical combat uniform and jungle boots. With the boots I will get them from Moore Militaria which offers a very authentic jungle boot and from the photos they look perfect in every detail. One problem- the boots are the 3rd pattern with ankle reinforcements which did appear til 1967 when they finally reached the troops. Some may have made their way to SVN in 1966 but most soldiers were wearing the 2nd pattern without ankle reinforcements.

To get my impression as accurate as possible I'm debating on getting a pair an removing the ankle reinforcements. Is this possible without making the boot look screwed up? I'm thinking the stitch holes may be visible but may disapear if I soak the canvas with hot water to close the holes.

craig_pickrall

Frankie, I had a new pair made in 1968 setting out so I could grab them quickly. It appears on those that the nylon reinforcement is sewn with 6 rows of stitching and there isn't any backing on the inside. I think you can carefully remove the stitching and then trim off the reinforcement (very, very carefully) so as not to cut the canvas. I'm not sure about soaking to close the stitch holes but I do think they will close up with use. At least you are doing this with a repro and not an original so it doesn't matter as much. Good luck!

pwmiraldi67

Hey Frankie

actually the reinfored ones were introduced as early as Nov 1964, so really you could have a pair of the 3d pattern with the reinforcements, if you wanted to forego all the trouble of removing the ankle reinforcements. But like Craig said it can be done with a little effort, also too if you then pour hot water over the stitch holes and then cold water, this should help hide the holes. Ive done this on the USMC flac vest when trying to make them look like the early model and remove the pockets.

Nice of you to do this for your pops, I was in the 25th and we were in the same brigade as the Wolfhounds, they were good troops!!

Good luck with your project!!

Paul

New Romantic
actually the reinfored ones were introduced as early as Nov 1964, so really you could have a pair of the 3d pattern with the reinforcements, if you wanted to forego all the trouble of removing the ankle reinforcements.

That's interesting, the earliest I've seen is 1965. I'll try to remove the ankle reinforcements, for a more unique look. I'll post pics of the finished work!

• 2 weeks later...
New Romantic

Yesterday I did a bit of experimenting with a ratty old pair of boots I used to wear. After I removed part of the ankle reinforcement I noticed that the canvas underneath has a "guide" marked with pen. I'm assuming Moore Militaria's repro boots would have the same thing to aid in consistent manufacturing. Rather than destroy a $70 pair of boots I'll leave them as they are. Too bad MM can't make a limited run of 2nd Pattern boots. But not many portray pre 1967 Vietnam so they probably wouldn't be in high demand.

post-532-1206329045.jpg

post-532-1206329024.jpg

Are these what you are looking for? These mint and are size 11XN. Not really interested in selling them but maybe for the right trade I'd let go of them.

New Romantic
Are these what you are looking for? These mint and are size 11XN. Not really interested in selling them but maybe for the right trade I'd let go of them.

I have a pair that I will use for display and I wouldn't wear an original pair b/c they are hard to find.