"Ike-d" M43 Field Jacket

BriansBricks

Another jacket modified into the Ike Jacket style, an M43. One thing that I've noticed about jackets or shirts that have been modified by a tailor is that the majority seem to be modified to create an item similar to the Eisenhower jackets. Do you think it was because service men simply liked the design, or was it a simple way to give your field/work uniform a bit more style?

8456630508_c4370dc888_b.jpg

The M43's were oversized quite a bit to accommodate for the use of liners or multiple layers, but in this case the tailor brought the jacket down to the actual size on the tag. It's a 34R, and by far the smallest 34R (of an M43) that I've seen. The sleeves are only 16'' long!

8456628160_1c8a079c1b_b.jpg

Comparison to a 36S

8455531471_cc6a5660a7_b.jpg

I recall seeing a period photo of a GI wearing such a conversion...on occupation duty in Japan IIRC? Must have been against regs so there can't have been that many of them really. Quite a rarity!

I agree, that is really cool. I have seen a bunch of tailored cut downs, but I dont recall ever seeing it done to a 43 jacket.

Very cool.

Ike Jackets were hard to come by and considered stylish at the time. I think that's why GIs had tailors create them

Tom Bowers

Thanks for all the comments, do you think I should replace the incorrect buttons on the sleeves, or just let them be?

Let them be, it's great the way it is.

I agree.The only reason I would ever switch them out is if they were switched after it left the Vet's hands.But they look pretty original to the coat, to me.