Mauser Pistol brought home by GI

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would post a German Mauser pistol that was brought home by a GI. Be aware that this is a test forum that is not only heavily moderated but has very specific rules on what can and cannot be posted here. Before posting please read the rules so your post is not moderated, locked, or deleted. Don't spoil this section for others by showing off your collection of German / Japanese / Italian items. Please relate what you show here to Allied Forces servicemen.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/165559-spoils-of-war-forum-postings/

Having said the above, this is a Model 1914 Mauser Pistol that was taken by a US Army Air Corps Lieutenant during WWII. The pistol itself is a 7,65mm Semi-Automatic that was issued to the Saxon Police (Land Gendarmerie) and bears property markings for that wartime German Police agency on the front gripstrap. These German Police pistols are quite collectable in their own right.

This pistol came with a letter from the US AAC Lieutenant explaining how he was able to get the pistol home and is a fascinating story in and of itself. It also came with the original US Army property tag but not the "bring back" certificate that was issued with most of these spoils of war souveniers.

LG Mauser papers.JPG

LG Mauser r.JPG

Here is some further information on the pistol and the US Lieutenant who brought the pistol back home. The first photo shows the Saxon Land Gendarmerie (Rural Police) property markings on the front gripstrap. Since Saxony fell into the Soviet Zone of occupation very few of these pistols were brought home by US GIs.

The US soldier who brought this pistol back is shown in the center of the next wartime group photograph and is wearing the crusher cap.

Last is a group photo of a postwar unit reunion of the Army Air Corps soldiers comprising the GI and his buddies.

LG Mauser markings.JPG

LG Mauser Lt group.JPG

LG Mauser Lt reunion.JPG

I have a pretty cool Mauser bringback, myself. C96 "Broomhandle" Red 9 with the WWI Prussian markings, all numbers match, great shape, but no stock/holster. Mine has a leather holster that the GI either found or had made, and has his name and service number on it. Bought it from the family of the veteran that captured it in WWII. I fired 21 rounds through it, but unfortunately am a bit afraid to shoot it more since it is original and in such good shape. One broken spring and it would lose so much value.

Matt,

Thanks for the kudos. I was unaware of the AAC 125th Liason Squadron until I picked up this pistol. It seems they ferried high ranking officers about, performed spotting functions, and moved military folks and "stuff" from point A to point B. A really interesting group of flyers.

Garandomatic,

You are absolutly right about shooting your Mauser Broomhandle too much. The springs in these old war horses are notoriously weak and subject to breakage. You know, there was a pouch on the leather strap hanger for the wooden holster/stock that was specifically made for a spare ammunition feed spring because they broke so often. Of course when that flat spring breaks you have a single shot hammer or club. I have a C96 that I don't shoot at all because the coil recoil springs are weak and I don't want to break them.

I'd sure like to find a nice junker to plink with! I have NO qualms about my Luger's value. Pretty sure I added $100 to its value just by cleaning it when I brought it home!