Need help with WWII ribbon ID

smwinter207

Guys,

I found a WWII veteran's photos on Ancestry probably posted by a family member. I couldn't believe my luck! However, I can't see a patch on his shoulder, and the ribbons are in black and white. I know some of you guys have been looking at photos for a long time and may be able to decipher them. He was awarded a purple heart. (man on the left)

Also, any guesses on where the photo was taken would be great.

Thanks,

Sean

post-20483-0-19594500-1360328146.jpg

Looks like one ribbon above two? My guess would be Bronze Star on top. Purple Heart bottom left. Can't make out bottom right at all, but ETO would be a logical guess.

Looks like one ribbon above two? My guess would be Bronze Star on top. Purple Heart bottom left. Can't make out bottom right at all, but ETO would be a logical guess.

I would agree.Look's more like a BS than a SS.

Anyway you can crop in on the ribbons?

Kurt,

You were spot on. Here is a photo of a black and white SS. Unfortunately, this is not what I wanted to believe as a PH I just bought was probably separated from its ribbons. Damn.

Sean

post-20483-0-05237200-1360346620.jpg

Silver Star on Top. Bronze Star with OLC on bottom, followed by PH and EAME with (what looks like) 2 campaign stars. Nice ribbon rack! Do you know what unit he served in? If I was to guess I'd say in-theater, early post war (May-July 1945).

Silver Star on Top. Bronze Star with OLC on bottom, followed by PH and EAME with (what looks like) 2 campaign stars. Nice ribbon rack! Do you know what unit he served in? If I was to guess I'd say in-theater, early post war (May-July 1945).

Well the close up certainly helped out.I stand corrected.It was a SS.The EAME look's like it also has an Arrowhead (assault landing).

This was the SS rack I posted from. He was just an example. Black and White photos from different eras can make the ribbons confusing. At least to me.

Thanks for contributing.

post-20483-0-07693900-1360348922.jpg

Oh, missed that.I still think the other one is a BS, the stipes look narrower.And you're right a b/w versus a color pic makes a difference.