Scanned photos Help.

OK let me see if I am explaining this right. I just had a neighbour scan a bunch of photos from books and magazines, they were E-Mailed to me as Attachments, so far so good, when I click on view the photo is very good, but when I Save to Documents the now Saved Image has lost both it's quality and size, it's not the same, also on these PDF attachments, when I click on Download, and open the attachment the photo is superb, BUT there is no way to right click and save this high quality photo. Is there some way to do this other than what I have outlined?

I also have to do alot of monkeying around with converting them to JPEG from PNG in order to try and make them larger, but when I do do this the quality is even more blurry and degraded after enlarging it, it's kinda complicated, I hope I have been explaing all this right :lol: I first have shrink the image as they way over 150 KB, then I need to try and enlage them now because there too small, and try to enlarge them within the 150KB limit, but as metioned, the quality really goes then.

l have so far gotten the 1st Batch of photos scaned, they are very good photos and in my estimation rather important photos for our purposes,they are from the unit/basic training yearbooks and Army periodicals I have from the 1950s and 60s, in some cases the entire reason why I want to post the photo is rendered pointless because of the low quailty and size is as to diminsh the detail I what to showcase in the first place, in most cases, Insigina and patches. I would really like to post them, like a superb full color photo of the 6th Armored Cavalry Regiment's Honor Guard in circa 1960

HELPPPPP.

PS I have already posted one, I got away with it I think, it's the Funny experimental aircraft up in the aircraft forum, but I would rather it was slightly bigger and clearer as it appears on both the View Attachments and on the Downloaded PDF window, I will post another shortly in My Photos Found By Accident topic, a 7th Army ad, please look in on these two photos I posted any of you that think you know what is wrong and if you can help in any way.

OK first thing I can tell you is you can NEVER EVER make an image bigger. An image has a specific amount of Pixels in it if you say take a 3in x 3in image and save it as 6in by 6in its always going to be blurry if its the same resolution. There are only so many pixels and since you made the image bigger those pixels are now bigger and spread out hence it being pixelated. The only way to save something "bigger" is to rez it down so if you had a 3in by 3in image that was 300dpi and you saved it to a 6in by 6in 72 dpi image it should be decent.

You can never make an image bigger only make it smaller.

OK first thing I can tell you is you can NEVER EVER make an image bigger. An image has a specific amount of Pixels in it if you say take a 3in x 3in image and save it as 6in by 6in its always going to be blurry if its the same resolution. There are only so many pixels and since you made the image bigger those pixels are now bigger and spread out hence it being pixelated. The only way to save something "bigger" is to rez it down so if you had a 3in by 3in image that was 300dpi and you saved it to a 6in by 6in 72 dpi image it should be decent.

You can never make an image bigger only make it smaller.

Thank's guy, But I still don't know it's the first time I,m doing this, and it's a bedevilment why the original view is patently smaller when I right click and save, like that doesn't happen to photos I find online :wacko:

• 5 months later...

patches

The posting is a bit old but someone may get some good out of this.

First, have the file scanned into the format you want. If it's JPG have the neighbor scan to JPG not PNG. That way there's no conversion.

Next, if the neighbor is close by get a USB thumb drive and bring them back home with you rather than in an email. That way there's no confusion over file formats or email delays etc. You have them in hand. Consider getting your own scanner! I bought an amazing scanner for about $180. It's an Epson V600 Perfection. It does amazing work. Order one today from B&H in New York you won't be dissapointed.

Third scan you photos with 300-600-700 or 1000 DPI. The higher densities are overkill why not? With 300 or 600 dpi you get about everything you can get from photo. The smaller the photo is the higher he density can be. I try for a 3-4MB file size adjusting the density up until I get it. I have a posting with a few of my scans on this site, see "Commercial or Personal Photos."

Fourth, don't do photo attachments with the 150K limit. Get a flicker, photobucket, or other photo storage service account and store them on line. That way you can connect the photo to you posting with link back to the service rather than a direct up load. It's not hard, all you need to do is get the photo's address off of the service and include it in the posting. There's an FAQ on this site to help with this approach. If you need help with this let me know.

If you follow my "rules" you will have the postings are after! Good luck!

Clearskyguy (Joe)