USAF Knife & Strobe

hueytaxi

The MC-1 Aircrew Survival Schrade pushbutton survival knife also contained a shroud cutter blase. The release mechanism is soft and wears easily allowing the lock to fail and the knife ipen unexpectedly with a slight bump. I have read Schrade will repair these for their lifetime, but the return address must be on an AFB. The SDU-5/E Survival strobe and blue lens sheath. I ordered the new battery adapter cap and modern batteries but it still failed to function.

IMG_0004-1_zps586c4e74.jpg

I think Schrade went out of business some years back. The knife guys can probably tell you for sure. Apparently the bulbs can burn out on those strobes and as far as I know can't be replaced.....

Battery cap looks like the CR-123 adapter to me so I think it is.

I had a Vietnam vet show me a trick with those MC-1 knives. He put the bail? (lanyard ring) straight out before deploying the blade. These knives have a pretty strong spring and I noticed on the new one I have the blade can reach its open range and then bounce back unlocked depending how you hold it. Putting that lanyard ring out slows it down a bit and allowed it to lock easy. I don't know if that was a standard practice or something he just found out himself but it seemed to be a good trick.

Battery cap was the brass adapter and ordered a bunch of batteries. Back in the 70's I used the strobe a lot at home parties and the original batteries lasted forever it seemed. Now it has been sitting in a drawer for the many years.

northcoastaero

Later manufacturers of the MC-1 were Camillus and Logan Smyth. The SDU-5/E strobe light is probably a pre 1975/1976 era with orange plastic band underneath the clear light lens. Later ones had a black

plastic band. The strobe light flash guard is probably the FG-1B or FG-1C and mostly used by the USAF and Army.

Hi,

I'd love to get one of those knives, not sure if an auto knife is legal to import here though.

The SDU-5/E strobe is very unrepairable, I cut one open once and it was solid epoxy or something poured around the electronics!

cheers,

-John :)

Contact Tom Williams at [email protected] . He is the official Historian for the original Camillus Knife Co. He’s built and re-built a lot of MC-1’s. Good chance that he has the largest collection of parts still in existence for these knives.

Tell him I sent you.