2nd Marine Raiders marked equipment.

fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350

Hello,

I was trying to ID a marking on some equipment ID'd to USMC LT J.W. Hubbard. He was in the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion and later became a post war Brigadier General and a Marine aviator. On his barracks bag where he has marked his name several times, he has the 2nd Marine Raiders Battalion symbol but he also has a red circle with a yellow W in the center. This is on a bunch of his other equipment as well but not the 2nd Raiders insignia. Can anyone help me ID this symbol?

Thank you in advance!

Kevin

post-2569-0-45204900-1360185079.jpg

post-2569-0-64236400-1360185089.jpg

post-2569-0-68956500-1360185097.jpg

I am sorry but I cannot shed any light on the marking in question...however these 2 items are outstanding !!

Cheers

Sean

jimmyhanklane

I notice there is the initial "W" in his name. Could be a way of easily identifying his bag among hundreds of others left shipboard?

Corpsmancollector

Kevin,

These are nothing short of stunning items. Do you know whether Hubbard made the Makin Raid or Long Patrol?

I've seen Raider marked equipment before (there is some information on this in 'Our Kind of War'), but I haven't seen the 'W' marking above so I can't be of much help there! Perhaps it could be a way of personal identification?

Thanks for posting these great Raider items. There is a thread on the Forum for Raider and Paramarine items, these would be a fantastic addition.

Will

fordmustanggt_350

Thanks guys for all the great reviews. I also had a few more things from him that I will post later today. I did not quite expect the great interest in his stuff. I do have a little history behind him but do not know if he was involved in either of those raids.

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

Could be he was part of weapons company, they had one weapons and four rifle companies. Just a thought.

I think Alec's guess could be the good one :

Name: Jay W Hubbard Muster Date: Oct 1944 Rank: First Lieutenant Station: Regimental Weapons Company, Fourth Marines, Reinf, Sixth Marine Division

E