War Correspondent

willysmb44

Hello, I posted these photos in the Patches Forum and a nice gentleman there ("m151mp") said you're the War Correspondent expert on the site. If you have any idea where this patch is from, I'd be most grateful if you could tell me! I got it at a local antique/junk store and couldn't find anything out about it on the Internet.......

Thank you very much,

Margaret

P.S. You have a truly wonderful collection of War Correspondent memorabilia!!

post-119668-0-20220500-1369512279.jpg

post-119668-0-31365500-1369512292.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just got back from the MVPA convention in Portland, which was a blast. The Corresondent display wasn't quite what I'd had in mind, both myself and Bryan overestimated the size of the display area, even after it'd been expanded. A lot of my war correspondent stuff never got out of the container (in favor of Bryan's military camera display), but for what I had, I was pleased with how it turned out, and was certainly pleased with our joint display overall. We seem to have gotten a very favorable reaction from those who got to see it. We didn't win any awards, though, but that wasn't why we set it up, anyway.
MVPAportland001_zps80e2af8c.jpg
MVPAlee4_zps0014b0ca.jpg

MVPAlee1_zps6c47fda3.jpg
MVPAportland084_zps8c1a1215.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bryan hasn't uploaded shots to me yet, so no.

Meanwhile, here's a teaser shot of the two of us doing the PTO thing for one day (he's wearing a original Navy photographer's uniform, I have my mostly repro PTO civilian correspondent impression):

https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/544457_148769541988668_\

I wish I'd gotten a good shot of my USN WarCo impression as that's the first (and so far, only) time I've worn it.

• 1 month later...

I just scored a couple of these amazing repro Press bags. These shots were taken by Bob, the guy who made them, compared with an original in his collection. I've compared them with my own original and am very impressed with his work:

If you're looking for one for yourself, he is on this forum: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/user/68747-72psb/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In all my years of collecting, reenacting etc, I can not say I have ever come across anyone who has done this impression? I am very impressed, YOU have done a great job Sir. It's so understated yet captures the obvious that alot of us have over looked. Thank you for sharing the pictures and all your work.

Don

In all my years of collecting, reenacting etc, I can not say I have ever come across anyone who has done this impression? I am very impressed, YOU have done a great job Sir. It's so understated yet captures the obvious that alot of us have over looked. Thank you for sharing the pictures and all your work.

Don

Thanks, Don! generally, the display and impression gets one of two reactions:

• People love it
  • People couldn't care less

In the latter case, it's usually a situation of someone looking for 'cool Army stuff with guns and bombs' with little regard for the history.

War Correspondent is like Medic for a re-enacting impression, most of the time it's something foisted upon someone who doesn't have all the 'high speed E/506' gear yet and it's often done very wrong. Most re-enactors with the impression have field desks and all kinds of stuff you never see in period photos. In real life, they travelled very light.

The one annoying aspect to me getting to be known in the hobby for this, is that I often get contacted by people looking to do this impression in the hobby. Every single time, they already have an idea what they want to do. Most of them have the wrong insignia in mind and manner of wearing it. I used to send links to photos of the right stuff and links to the correct vendors. I no longer do this because in all that time, every single one of them went right along with their original (almost always incorrect) ideas for their impressions. They only wanted me to to confirm what they were already going to do. If someone asks for advice and they already have links and photos of their stuff, that means they're gonna do it that way regardless what I tell them.

• 1 month later...

Lee,

Glad I got to see this post. Yeah..., I'm finally on here. Decided it was time. I know it took me long enough! I was going to load my photos I took of the display and post them on here, but don't know how to do it since the image up-loader is asking for a URL. So, I have no clue.

Lee,

Glad I got to see this post. Yeah..., I'm finally on here. Decided it was time. I know it took me long enough! I was going to load my photos I took of the display and post them on here, but don't know how to do it since the image up-loader is asking for a URL. So, I have no clue.

Hi,

See this tutorial: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/157399-how-to-upload-a-photo-as-an-attachment/

RC

I'm going to add a few, but the photos will be on one post at a time it looks like. If you have any questions about the display, please ask! Thanks!

post-151135-0-54973300-1389918969.jpg

Johan Willaert

Wow!!! Are all of the Speedgraphics official SC PH-47s or are there standard production ones with SG acceptance stamps without PH47 nomenclature or plate...

And if so do you the serial numbers??? I would like to verify if my 1944 serial numbered SG was indeed part of a batch delivered to the SIgnal Corps...

Thanks

Bryan,

You and Lee put on an excellent display. I am happy to know that through Lee I have added a little to it.(12th AG After Action book and my press bag repo's).

Once again,great job on keeping this important part of the war effort alive.

Bob

Bob,

Good eye! Glad you caught the book in the photos, both Bryan and myself knew right away that the book had to be included in the display. The 'press' bags were great, because people would point at my original one and I could pull out one of your repros to show without having to subject my original to any more wear and tear.

I feel horrible, though, in that I totally forgot to send you anything for the neat box of stuff you'd sent and just realized that. I intend to remedy that quite soon!

Lee

You and Lee put on an excellent display. I am happy to know that through Lee I have added a little to it.(12th AG After Action book and my press bag repo's).

• 1 month later...

Wow!!! Are all of the Speedgraphics official SC PH-47s or are there standard production ones with SG acceptance stamps without PH47 nomenclature or plate...

And if so do you the serial numbers??? I would like to verify if my 1944 serial numbered SG was indeed part of a batch delivered to the SIgnal Corps...

Thanks

Johan,

Thanks for the message! Yes, all of the Signal Corps 4x5 Speed Graphic cameras. Two are PH-47E and one is the PH-47F. The 'E' model, one has the Kalart rangefinder and one with the Hugo Meyer rangefinder with the 127mm f4.7 lens. The 'F' model has the Hugo Meyer rangefinder with the 5 1/2in. (140mm) f4.5 Ilex No.3 Acme Synchro. All three have the SC approval stamps and the nomenclature plate on top.

Here's the serial numbers for your reference. I have a very extensive list of Anniversary Speed Graphic serial numbers, so please let me know about your serial number so I can add it to my list. That is great to hear you have a SC Speed Graphic!

321469 1943 Anniversary 4x5 (PH-47E)

323228 1943 Anniversary 4x5 (PH-47E)

338688 1944 Anniversary 4x5 (PH-47F)

Hope that helps you out! If you have ANY other questions about Signal Corps/ Army Air Force/ Navy/ Marine Corps photography equipment please let me know. Thank you!

Bryan,

Bob

Bob,

Lee and I thank you for the comment! I am glad to hear that you have added alittle bit to it also. At least my display will be shown around many different venues this Spring and Summer here in Western Washington. Take care and if you have any questions about the display please ask. Thanks!