willysmb44

War Correspondent

I have a lot of US WW2 stuff, but my War Correspondent collection is something I'm pretty proud of as most people don't collect this:

PHOTO LINKS NO LONGER WORK

-Daniel 1/23/18

I have more stuff than this that I haven't gotten good photos of, like most of my paperwork, as I have several original photographs, letters and even a few original ID cards from correspondents. I'm also the Western US coordinator of the international WW2 correspondent re-enactor group.
I'd also scan in some items from my substantial Bill Maudlin collection, but there's too much to fit into a few photos.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

Very nice!

I collect WWII postal history and have quite a few pieces of mail from WWII war correspondants , but nothing as cool as this!

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I collect WWII postal history and have quite a few pieces of mail from WWII war correspondants , but nothing as cool as this!

Thanks!

Yeah, the postal stuff is reasonably easy to find for some odd reason. See that bag to the right of the helmet in the top pic with the word "press" on it? That's a dispatch bag supposed to be used in the mail bags heading back to the rear. Scored if off eBay last year, totally in the wrong category and nobody knew what it was. I've never even seen one in a museum anywhere, but I have several photos of them being used as signs to ID the correspondents in vehicles!

I used to do displays and re-enacting of the usual Paratrooper and leg infantry stuff you see everyone else doing. I still have a very impressive collection of "killing stuff," and all that, but I guess I got tired of lugging it around, especially when most folks have all the same stuff anyway. It's really funny when I display stuff and some knucklehead comes up to the one of the other guys (or gals) in the group and accuses me of being a pacifist or something or someone who didn't feel worthy to dress like "a real soldier." They're always reminded I was an active duty Army Captain in real life, unlike most of the other people in the group dressed like the 'killers'! That always shuts 'em up!

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

Speaking of war correspondents, here is a letter to "Red" Bell, a journalist with the 3rd ID.

post-2463-1204860327.jpg

danshanower.jpg

R.I.P. Commander Dan Shanower, KIA 9/11/01

"Freedom Isn't Free" US Naval Institute, Proceedings, 1997

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

Speaking of war correspondents, here is a letter to "Red" Bell, a journalist with the 3rd ID.
Really good work. It's amazing how many truly talented folks were out there but never got their work out. For every Bill Maudlin, there must have been hundreds of guys just as good...

This week I finally got an original M-41 jacket used by a correspondent (sadly, not named, though). Last night I broke out my camera and other stuff to get this shot. Everything in the photo is original, including the very rare Correspondent TM and the pen is actually marked USAAF…

WarCoOriginalStuff.jpg

Great collection.Often overlooked and under appreciated.

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Thought you may enjoy this.

Here is a picture of a display at camp Dodge Iowa.Includes Items from the WW2-Korea-Viet nam career of Gordon Gamuck.Also Jack Shelly and Herb Plambeck.All from Iowa

post-342-1246503853.jpg

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Helmet

post-342-1246504241.jpg

post-342-1246504357.jpg

RD

In Memoriam:

Couple more of the display

post-342-1246504588.jpg

post-342-1246504611.jpg

RD

In Memoriam:

Patch in the display.

post-342-1246504706.jpg

In Memoriam:

Gamacks book.

post-342-1246504794.jpg

In Memoriam:

Helmet

post-342-1246504241.jpg

post-342-1246504357.jpg

RD

Thanks for posting these. Does the helmet have anything painted on it? It’s kind of hard to tell from the photo.

Great impression, but i try to figure out, why You present garrison cap with officers piping? All i know makes me sure that correspondents are not allow to wore cap with piping. TM 30-26 says

...The proper uniform for accredited correspondents is that of an officer, but less all insignia of grade or arm or service, and without black and gold piping on field caps...
So my question is, are they worn it despite to FM, or it`s a mistake? I wait for answer patiently, cause I start with a correspondent impression and maybe i don`t know about something.

p.s. sorry for poor language.

p.s.2 Willysmb44 i saw You on the other forums to ,You are really involved in Correspondent impression, can i get Your e-mail, I have a many questions, and I think You can quick and definitely answer them, pls PM me :)

header.jpg

Great impression, but i try to figure out, why You present garrison cap with officers piping? All i know makes me sure that correspondents are not allow to wore cap with piping. TM 30-26 says
So my question is, are they worn it despite to FM, or it`s a mistake? I wait for answer patiently, cause I start with a correspondent impression and maybe i don`t know about something.

p.s. sorry for poor language.

p.s.2 Willysmb44 i saw You on the other forums to ,You are really involved in Correspondent impression, can i get Your e-mail, I have a many questions, and I think You can quick and definitely answer them, pls PM me :)

Yes, technically, insignia and piping is incorrect per the TM, but many correspondents wore "crusher" visor caps with full US officer insignia and piping on side caps. Here's an original:

-Daniel 1/23/18

You and anyone else are welcome to ask questions, and if I have an easy answer, I'm happy to pass along the info.

And they have no consequences by this behavior? :) (i love this army :D )

So my next question is, they should wore armbands with block C letter two inches high, according to FM with changes from July `42. But i didn`t see many of corr`s with this armband. I wore it, but now i doubt it`s proper way to reenact that person. I think maybe it was worn only in action, so they will be recognized by enemy as not a soldiers, but it`s not reasonable, cause they was armed sometimes with Colt`s or other light weapons (if i remember i saw one corr` with M1 carbine :w00t: ). So should I or shouldn`t wore armband and when?

Thanks, and sorry for poor language.

header.jpg

And they have no consequences by this behavior? :) (i love this army :D )

So my next question is, they should wore armbands with block C letter two inches high, according to FM with changes from July `42. But i didn`t see many of corr`s with this armband. I wore it, but now i doubt it`s proper way to reenact that person. I think maybe it was worn only in action, so they will be recognized by enemy as not a soldiers, but it`s not reasonable, cause they was armed sometimes with Colt`s or other light weapons (if i remember i saw one corr` with M1 carbine :w00t: ). So should I or shouldn`t wore armband and when?

Thanks, and sorry for poor language.

The armband for civilian correspondents and photographers was listed in the manuals and should have been on the arms of all of them, but often was not. For a variety of reasons (white letter “C” standing out in combat, it might snag on a tree branch, etc), the amrband seems to have been used mostly where big brass was around and rarely ever.

LIFE magazine photographer John Florea in the Pacific Theater of Operations in 1945.

post-70-1275783199.jpg

GB

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2018.gif

What a super and unique collection you have there! I will echo what Ron said in that this is a very under appreciated area of service....and collecting! Very nice, and thanks for showing us some of this not often seen stuff! :thumbsup:

Always looking for 325th G.I.R. and WWII USMC items!
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I set up a tent display at an airshow over this weekend, It rained modt of the time so lots of people came and looked it over, almost all said they had never seen this stuff before...

-Daniel 1/23/18

Nice Lee!!! Could you post a close-up and the dimensions of the red and white PRESS sign that you had on the typewriter??

Thanks

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Nice Lee!!! Could you post a close-up and the dimensions of the red and white PRESS sign that you had on the typewriter??
It’s actually a cotton canvas dispatch bag, but they were often used as signs on vehicles and tents. I only of know of just a few that exist in collections today (and none in any museums that I know of). I’m sure there are more out there but very few seem to have survived, probably because many people might not have a clue what they are. The funny thing is that I took that press bag for the first day only. It’s one of the most rare items in my collection and I realized nobody looking at the display knew that. Most people wanted to pick up my 1941 Zippo and my green Lucky Strikes or (attempt to) type on my typewriters. They had no idea what the really rare stuff was.
Here’s a better photo of it:

And here’s a nice layout with measurements someone did based on the above photo and measurements I took off my original bag:

Here’s one being used in WW2 as a vehicle sign, on a Canadian Jeep:

A few people in the Warcos re-enacting group have voiced a desire to make repros of this bag based on these measurement, but apparently nothing has come of it yet. I'm hoping someone makes repros of these eventually...

-Daniel 1/23/18

Is it maker or US marked in any way?
No sadly, no markings. You’ll notice something written at the top edge of mine, but that’s hand-written, a name that nobody will know what it was for. “Never a shot in Anger” by Barney Oldfield has a passage about the stacks of these bags that came into the ETO Press area at the Hotel Scribe in Paris. They must have made thousands of these things. There is no reference anywhere I could find of them being used after WW2.
They have a flap on the inside top edge, I guess to partially seal them closed to allow large documents to not easily fall out. Here are a couple of shots of the inside, showing the large (British made?) snaps on that flap:

-Daniel 1/23/18

Lee, you have a sweet collection. :thumbsup:

-Matt.

I'm always looking to buy old sets of bagpipes