116th Infantry on Omaha Beach account

captaxe

I recently picked up the copy of this pictured below; I also have a version with a couple of pages missing that belonged to a 29th Div. vet.

It is a very richly detailed, company by company, 19 page mimeographed account of the activities on June 6, 1944 of the 116th Infantry of the 29th Division.

It appears to have been produced either later in the war or very soon after; there is conjecture that it was printed and given to troops of the 116th on their return back to the US. I have scoured the bibliographies of books published about DDay dealing either with Omaha Beach itself or the 29th Division (Ambrose, Balkoski and many others), but have never seen this work referenced. It is also not listed in any of the full bibliographies dealing with WWII (Controvich, Dornbusch and others).

Has anyone else ever seen this or have any idea of its rarity? There really is some incredible information contained in it.

post-701-0-10936700-1360120094.jpg

post-701-0-38100500-1360120156.jpg

Those theater printed vignettes are really cool. Not many in the original print runs and due to the type of paper they were printed on they are hard to find in decent condition. I have one from the 157th infantry regiment that details the battle of Aschaffenburg.

RJ