WWII Navy WAVES PO 1st Class uniform

Bob Hudson

Picked this up today from the family. This woman joined the Navy in 1942 and served until July 1945. She was a 1st Class Storekeeper. She was from New York City and spent most of the war is south Texas.

Everything except the handbag has her sewn-in name tags. The handbag is in pretty nice shape, with original labels and the strap is as flexible as when it was new.

The handbags don't often come with these, but this one has what must even less common - the original hanger tag for the uniform.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The family is supposed to send me a scan of her discharge papers and a scan of a framed photo. I found a couple things online and I snapped a photo of her portrait which is framed behind class so it doesn't come out too clear - I'm hoping the scan they send looks better.

7.jpg

vallenbio.jpg

vallenobit.jpg

Interesting that she wore the larger size "male" rate, rather than the smaller size "female" rate. Nice to find an all-original ID'd uniform like that.

Interesting that she wore the larger size "male" rate, rather than the smaller size "female" rate. Nice to find an all-original ID'd uniform like that.

She was in the very first storekeepers class with WAVES so the larger size may have been the only ones available. I know the Marines promoted some new female Marines straight up to NCO in order to have something other than E-1s and E-2's - did the WAVES do the same?

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Dear Mr. Hudson - is this grouping for sale?

Sincerely,

Christine E. Albin

Sorry no, but I have some other WWII WAVES items I am going to list for sale soon.

NGCoastArtillery41

Sorry no, but I have some other WWII WAVES items I am going to list for sale soon.

My wife (active duty Navy HM1) is drooling over this uniform lol. I'll be looking out for your post for sale. If you have just a lone skirt that fits her, we need it to finish off her impression.

As far as promoting really fast I would imagine they would especially if the WAVE had some type of professional experience in that field. I imagine it would be similar to the Seabees when they were established.

Great complete uniform. Skirts and handbags are almost always missing. Nice find and identified too.

Sounds like she had a long interesting life.

W