Iraqi helmet 2nd Armored Div. ODS bring-back

mvmhm

This well worn helmet was a war trophy from a soldier in the 2nd Armored Division, who put some graffiti on it. The inside was filthy so I wiped the rim down, which is why it looks so clean....here's the inside showing the liner with some Arabic writing...the remaining chin strap is pretty shredded. On the right side he wrote "ODS".

Mark sends

post-3423-0-38300700-1360110391.jpg

post-3423-0-78108500-1360110419.jpg

• 6 months later...

For the helmet geeks out there, that's an M80 composite helmet, designed and made in South Korea, which explains its very American-influenced features. By the next Gulf War, the Iraqis were mostly equipped with their home-produced M1990 helmet which was rather like a thick sand-coloured plastic M1 liner with a distinctive rubber rim and Riddell type suspension.

When I first got to the desert, I was throwing Iraqi helmets away because I thought they were discarded American helmet liners....by the time I "got smart", the real easy pickings were over with..although I still managed to bring back a B4 bag full of them along with berets, flags, and bayonets.....which I gave most away to my troopers that didn't get to go. Either way, like the Saddam Fedayeen helmets, these don't stop diddly-squat....

Mark sends