MSG LLEWELLYN CHILSON

4STARCHRIS

post-387-1168811952.jpg

This is posted for all to be re-introduced to one of the nation's greatest hero. I was given these items from MSG Chilson's daughter. He is the only soldier, sailor, or veteran to ever be awarded 3 DSC's at one time. This feat has never be equalled. MSG Chilson was awarded more medals for valor at one time than any other person by President Truman.

I think at one time in the early 1990's I owned some Chilson medals, named Silver Star and his LOM plus some original letters to him from the War Department

Bill

Here is the engraved LOM attached to the uniform.

1.jpg

Very nice LOM. That style of official engraving would date this example to the 1945-46 time period. I had one just like it awarded to a Col. who was a Bataan POW.

Kurt

He is the only soldier, sailor, or veteran to ever be awarded 3 DSC's at one time. This feat has never be equalled.

Hi Chris,

Nice uniform and medals...however, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the only soldier, sailor, or veteran to ever be awarded 3 DSC's at one time." Could you elaborate on this ?? I have a uniform to MG Frank "Monk" OD Hunter who was awarded a total of 5 DSCs during WWI and I'm sure there are other examples of multiple DSC recipients out there.

Vic

Am I missing some thing here? I just found a Bio of Chilson on the internet and as near as I can figure his main clam to fame is that he received all of his medals at one time rather than as they were earned. Not to take anything away from what he did to earn the medals but what difference dose it make when he received them?

post-387-1169250365.jpg

First, Let me say these are not my "hype" words but fact. These are the words that are held in The National Archives and Military Archives. MSG Llewellyn Chilson is the only soldier to EVER get 3 DSC's at one time. These were given by President Truman. A total of 6 valor medals were given during this award presentation at the White House, a military first. This feat has yet to be equalled.

In reference to other multiple DSC recipients. Of course there has been. I did not say there has not been. Ed rickenbacker had 9. As you mention your guy had 5. All I pointed out was that this was the first time in history that "3 DSC's were awarded at one time". Again, these are not my words.

Prior to this Forum, very few people even knew that this man exsisted, much less his deeds during WWII. Although he did 20 plus more years in the military. Much of the 45th/179th books do not even mention him.

post-387-1169272512.jpg

Notice in this post award ceremony outside the White House Chilson NEW ribbon bar. Ceremony pics with President shoe 4 ribbon ribbon bar. Purple heart highest award. New ribbon bar DSC highest award.

4starchris

I like the different combinations of engraving styles in the pics .

The DSC and LOM are officially WWII hand engraved. Probably the ones awarded in the ceremony at the White House !

The Silver Star you pictured in an another thread hand engraved at an angle is also WWII officially engraved ( the one on the left ) . Again probably the medal awarded to him at the White House . The other one on the right is 1950's machine engraved.

post_387_1168820873.jpg - Here is the pic

The PH is unofficiallly hand engraved. It was probably engraved overseas during WWII and presented to him there. He could have had it engraved himself, but I doubt it.

The Bronze Star is machine engraved in a 1950's style. It was probably the one issued to him in the 50's based on his CIB award. Another OLC on top of the ones he already had ! The Silver Star above on the left was probably issued with it. thumbsup.gif

The Bronze Star he is wearing in the post above would have been hand engraved if named .

Kurt

Great Stuff !!!

But he should have checked the spelling when he was engraving his PH. :D

It should read Neuburg and not Neuburge.

This town is about 35 km northwest from where i live.

regards,

Stephan

post-387-1169327511.jpg

Here is the third silver star. This one is attached to the jacket.

Thanks for all who view and leave comments. Thanks for all who just look.

4starchris

• 5 months later...
Hi Chris,

Nice uniform and medals...however, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the only soldier, sailor, or veteran to ever be awarded 3 DSC's at one time." Could you elaborate on this ?? I have a uniform to MG Frank "Monk" OD Hunter who was awarded a total of 5 DSCs during WWI and I'm sure there are other examples of multiple DSC recipients out there.

Vic

Vic,

Thank you for your comments. Yes I would be happy to clearify. As you mentioned numerous aviators from WWI had been recipient of numerous DSC's. However, all the DSC's were given over a period of time. Never more than one.

MSG Llewellyn Chilson was given all his medals of valor at one time. the three DSC's given at one time has never been duplicated. It is also interesting to note that this presentation was post war. A enormous amout of time went into validation for it is said all three were originally MOH request. Hope this helps.

Thanks for looking.

4starchris

post-387-1184296952.jpg

This is a great picture of the MSG. Notice he always wore his full size medals and his ribbons. The Army asked him to for PR.

Enjoy.

4starchris

post-387-1184297160.jpg

Again the MSG wear all ribbons andd full size medals. Per Army request. Notice the 18 years service strips.

enjoy

4starchris

post-387-1184297462.jpg

The original and frail DSC certificate with second OLC. The tape is indication of how frail this document has become. Original.

4starchris

He was also recommended for the medal of honor, that would have put

him above audie murphy. Erich

Erich,

Being very close to the source.. Not a truer statement can be said. hey say this is why hw will NEVER get the MOH. It would completely rewrite the history of military annals.

Thanks for looking.

I am getting ready to put on moving museum with the National VFW all his stuff. We are trying to re introduce this great and forgotten American hero back to the nation.

4starchris

• 3 months later...

post-387-1193454154.jpg

This is MSG Llewellyn Chilson's daughters. The one on the right of the uniform is the baby in the photo at the White House.

4starchris