ANY DESERT STORM 1ST CAV VETS HERE?

BEAST

In 1990, I was recalled to active duty for serve with the First Cav, sort of. I was assigned to the roundout brigade for the division, 1-155th Infantry made up primarily by the Mississippi Natiional Guard. The brigade was never deployed, we just marked time at Hood, then went to NTC and finally ended up being discharged at Camp Shelby.

My question for any of you who served with the division during this period is this: How was the roundout unit perceived by the FIrst Cav? Right before Desert Shield, they had been rated as combat ready by the active Army. Did you guys ever serve along side them?

• 3 weeks later...

You may want to ask why the Army preferred to select Active Duty Roundout Brigades instead...

In this case it was 1st (Tiger) Brigade, 2nd Armored Division.

http://www.desertsto...0001CAV_DIV.htm

That is a good question. Why didn't they take their National Guard roundout brigades? I remember reading something about Schwarzkopf not wanting reserve or guard components with him.

One answer could be in conversation I had with the 1st Cav G-1's office. I asked them why replacements were being pulled straight from IOBC instead of sending those of us with experience. Their answer "You don't need the medals for promotion."