El Alamein British Helmet 59 years later

Chap15

I helped put together a staff ride to El Alamein for ARCENT/Third Army just after 9-11. I found a British/Australian helmet in the El Alamein train station. The station was abandoned. The ceiling had fallen. This helemt was up in the attic. I found this on the 59th anniversary of when the battle started. A JAG officer tried to charged me for a war trophy violation. I won, he lost.

post-1429-0-38150600-1360067504.jpg

post-1429-0-81813400-1360067515.jpg

post-1429-0-16143100-1360067526.jpg

The British War cemetary was well kept.

The museum on the other hand was not worth it. Almost all of the German stuff was fake and half of the El Alamein museum dealt with the Yom Kippur/Ramadan War and the "great" Egyptian victory.

The helmet still had the liner but was in very poor condition. The helmet though still "pings" when you tap it.

I hear they tore down the train station.

I was thinking the same thing!

It was tempting.

There was a famous picture from the war of the sign and a soldier wrote "heaven" under it. I tried to find that too.

Here is a stand I made for the helmet.

post-1429-0-68698800-1360372215.jpg

A super find, I'm glad you got it. You are preserving a great piece of history.

Unfortunately today we have too many lawyers on the battlefield and not enough fighting soldiers.

Dan

OEF 06-07.

Speaking as a British member, thank you for so carefully preserving and displaying the helmet. The poppy is a very nice touch as is the crucifix.

I did get an apology from the lawyer. The handcuffs were extreme.

The display, the piece shrapnel is from the battle of Losheimergraben and Peiper's initial bombardment.

I did get an apology from the lawyer. The handcuffs were extreme.

Cuffing a chaplain?!?!?! Well, if he wasn't already going to Hell just for being a lawyer, he certainly is now!

The lawyers were bad...but the pat down by the MPs was worse.

When the SPC came to pick me up at the MPs she thought it was cool. I think I gained some creditability with the troops.

About the lawyers.

James Oglethorpe, an early leader of Georgia and the city of Savannah, outlawed two things, liquor and lawyers.

Had a Lawyer over yonder who had some crazy ROE for the troops. The Commander put him with a rifle platoon for two weeks. That cured him.

If a rusty old helmet caused all of that, perhaps, afterall, it was good you didn't grab the train station sign.

He'd probably still be in Fort Leavenworth for that kind of heinous crime. ;)

Great find Mate,

It is indeed an Australian MkII helmet (no rim on the edge) There should be a date on the chin strap lugs.

Very nice touch having the poppy displayed with the lid.

Cheers Mick

Great find Mate,

It is indeed an Australian MkII helmet (no rim on the edge) There should be a date on the chin strap lugs.

Very nice touch having the poppy displayed with the lid.

Cheers Mick

Mick,

I will have to look and see what the date is. But it will be a while, I am currently assigned a place where my collection was not allowed.

Glad to see other military members keeping their eyes out for historical items. The military gets a little crazy about bringing stuff back!! No matter what the item might be.

Brandon

• 4 years later...
USCapturephotos

I missed this thread the first time around but am absolutely loving it. A good buddy of mine is also a chaplain. He served for several tours attached to the 1st Cav in Iraq. He has become frustrated with the rules that the military is also placing on chaplains keeping him from completing his religious duties because of things like political correctness run amok.

Anyway, thank you for your service and for sharing this great relic with us!

Paul