lets see examples of rare USMC chevrons

Mtlh2010

Embroidered green on red felt backing. I know there's some who believe these are Civil Air Patrol (CAP) chevrons. However, two of these I've cut off USMC uniforms that were in really bad shape. I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions on these. The only reason I'm skeptical is I've seen a 1stSgt in this pattern where the center diamond is an "open diamond" design like the Army used. The Marines abandoned the "open diamond" after the 1912 patter green/red chevrons (pictured earlier in this thread).

I recently purchased an WWII 5th MarDiv coat with these style chevrons on the coat. I also picked up a set from the sisters Wosk.

LF

A WW2 era pair of Chief Pharmacist Chevrons with left & right facing green-colored eagles. pair sold at ePay auction for $226.

post-56663-0-01226000-1376325852.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A very interesting GySgt from the mid-war period. it looks to be period and appears to have been sewn onto a sleeve....but I've never encountered the applied chevron with the army-style chain stitching......

post-56663-0-16837100-1377736972.jpg

That is exactly what it appears to be, a 1920 to 1930 period Army chevron with the gunnery sgt emblem applied. I really do not think a Marine would wear this. - Jeff

That is exactly what it appears to be, a 1920 to 1930 period Army chevron with the gunnery sgt emblem applied. I really do not think a Marine would wear this. - Jeff

Agree, but that gunnery device is very well done and doesn't look like the typical modern fake. Interesting...

and the center emblem being beige/brown is consistent with earlier varieties....later on the center bursting bomb was a similar color to the chevrons.......

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This chevron recently sold on eBay for $26 and change. Purported to be USMC, pre-1922. It does resemble the more common chevrons of the era, but this one has a private-purchase, custom-made appearance. Not 100% positive this is USMC, but it sure looks to be.

post-56663-0-64409900-1393267158.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

This thread is great! I would be awesome to see all the images of the different variations compiled into one chronological record by pay-grade. That would be some undertaking!

• 1 month later...

Nice and rare pre-WW2 USMC GySgt and 2-rocker 1stSgt chevrons..... I missed these on eBay.... whoever scooped these got a deal for $100 shipped for the lot, plus a garrison cap with droop-wing EGA. Was sold from Australia.

they look real, but photo isn't high enough resolution to be certain. But they certainly look good.

post-56663-0-34045400-1398725958.jpg

• 7 months later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Why do we see some of the seam to seams with beveled edges to align with the sleeve edge and others with this 90 degree cut?

wW1 era seam-to-seam Corporal, dress blue uniform

My guess is that the ones where the flat cross "ties" or rockers are completely BELOW the chevrons are older chevrons that pre-date 1912. This is just my guess. The 1912 to 20s era appear to be the ones that have the ties or rockers that meet "inside" the inner edges of the chevrons versus being completely below the bottom of the chevrons.