lets see examples of rare USMC chevrons

Mtlh2010

The only reason that a Marine would wear a Fourragere is if he served with the 5th or 6th Marine Regiments. So a simple explanation could be that the Marines being depicted were not with either of those units.

Sorry I neglected to state this, both charactors are vets of the AEF, so as we know they would (in real life) wear the French Rope in any unit they served in afterwards.

This from it's IMDb.

Storyline

Marines Flagg and Quirt fought together in WWI and Panama. After some time in New York they go to Sweden and compete for the love of Else. Next they go to Nicaragua and help earthquake victims. Then to Egypt where Else is now in Prince Hassan's harem.

And it's WIKI.

Plot

The film opens at the end of World War I, with lifelong rivals Captain Jim Flagg (Flagg I gather reduced back to NCO after WW) and Sergeant Harry Quirt in the trenches. After the war ends, both men re-enlist, and the film follows their adventures through the Philippines, Asia, and the Panama Canal.

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is my full set of seem to seem dress chevrons. (unless a 2nd Band Leader or Drum Major ever appears... not holding my breath!)
post-133515-0-21435800-1456186922.jpg

Here is my full set of seem to seem dress chevrons. (unless a 2nd Band Leader or Drum Major ever appears... not holding my breath!)[...]

A great set, nice to see! Goes perfectly with a photo recently posted in the Uniforms forum:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/261156-1920-marine-uniform-photos/?p=2097496

Justin B.

Erik

The USMC Band metal rank insignia are fantastic !

Are they marked with manufacturer hallmark ?

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Erik

The USMC Band metal rank insignia are fantastic !

Are they marked with manufacturer hallmark ?

Michael

I have a few of the band insignia in gold and black marked "587" on the back.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

any of the Corporal or Sergeant? I am wondering if the NCOs were issued them as well or just SNCOs..

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I just double checked mine and they ARE marked! (Also, 587) dunno how I missed that the first time.

any of the Corporal or Sergeant? I am wondering if the NCOs were issued them as well or just SNCOs..

No, I only have the staff NCOs like yours.

• 1 month later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Has anyone ever seen white or tan seem-to-seem chevrons in any other ranks than Corporal, Sergeant, First Sergeant or Gunnery Sergeant? Sergeant Major and Quartermaster Sergeant both existed during this time but I have never heard nor seen any chevrons for them other than the 1912 dress variation.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Correction to post 244.. it is for the summer service uniform... the tan was for the winter.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

<p>And a 1st Sgt from the same era -- Spanish American War to WW1.  Sold on ebay back in August for about $200 for a pair (broken up and sold as two single items).  (for what its worth -- I think $200 was low for a matched pair -- these are hard to come by).</p>

post-56663-0-35907600-1476839958_thumb.jpg

post-56663-0-62816400-1476839959_thumb.jpg

This single also sold this month for $91. However, in my assessment, its a reproduction. Given the very low price on this, I assume many others shared my opinion.

post-56663-0-40012500-1476840253.jpg