lets see examples of rare USMC chevrons

Mtlh2010

And, the elusive Bevo weave style of the master technical sergeant. The staff, technical, and master technical styles (with the flat ties) and the 1stSgt in the red/green Bevo variety are hard to locate. In nearly 18 years of collecting, this is the first MTSgt I've run across. (And, I didn't make it home in time to bid on it!) The winning bidder got a great deal for $21.50.

post-56663-0-07964900-1476840472_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I won the MTSgt bevo. Can't wait to have it in hand! Now all I need is the Red / Green 1stSgt.. haven't even seen one! I contacted the seller of the Drum Major chevron and conveyed to him that I thought it wasn't original.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And a pair of mid-to-late1940s / Korean era fully embroidered First Sergeant chevrons. Sold eBay Dec. 8th, 2016 for $88.

Notice the center diamond is still the "fat" style diamond, and its oriented L to R. Also, notice the diamond is not FE, its "applied" to the underlying MSgt chevron.

post-56663-0-34598600-1481233683_thumb.jpg

post-56663-0-19731400-1481233684_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I saw that one too but wasn't sure because of the diamond embroidery if that was legit piece or something someone had done to a pair of MSgts

I saw that one too but wasn't sure because of the diamond embroidery if that was legit piece or something someone had done to a pair of MSgts

Agree. The thread is an excellent match, but have to wonder why they weren't fully embroidered into the red background like the chevrons.

These are legit. They actually made the diamonds separate and then they were sewn into the chevron. I actually have a strip of the diamonds that were used. I purchased them from an old surplus store along with the chevrons. Semper Fi - jeff

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Anyone ever seen any documentation regarding this Drum Major chevron design? I cannot find any mention of an insignia matching this design in any records.. also for reference this image is based off of the August 1936 cover of Leatherneck magazine. In 1929 regs, the rank design is 3 rockers, 2 ties and a star in the center, in 1937 regs the rank design is the same, minus the star. I don't see anything that describes a rank design of "three rockers, two ties and an angled baton in the center"... sooooo, anyone?

This is a 1937 chart of chevrons I found on the net a while back and kept a copy. Its a useful reference.

post-133515-0-31480800-1482588610_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

These are legit. They actually made the diamonds separate and then they were sewn into the chevron. I actually have a strip of the diamonds that were used. I purchased them from an old surplus store along with the chevrons. Semper Fi - jeff

Hey Jeff, can you show a photo of the strip of diamonds? Thanks!

Interesting Jeff! Love to see some photos sometime!

OK, found some of them. Here are a couple green diamonds that were sold in a strip and they appear to be exactly like the gold diamonds sewn onto the 1st Sgt. chevron in the post. Also, here is what looks like a late 50's 1st Sgt. chevron with an additional diamond that I can only assume it to alter another chevron into a 1st Sgt. These are both very early, as you will see the backs in the next picture showing both as cotton backed.

post-2688-0-61349600-1500851541.jpg

post-2688-0-42563200-1500851557.jpg

This one is neat also, a late 50's wide chevron with the diamond placed horizontally. Also very early as indicated by the cotton back and the bright yellow.

post-2688-0-69313700-1500852353.jpg

post-2688-0-51372300-1500852366.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...