lets see examples of rare USMC chevrons

Mtlh2010

Those are some great looking chevrons! I am working on that set right now. And the stripes really add to the display! I have a couple of single stripes but like you said, the more stripes, the scarcer they are! I imagine back then there weren't too many Marines with that many years of service just due to the relatively small size of the Corps!

I picked up these sets awhile back. In my experience the multiple hash mark sets are almost harder to find than the chevrons..

Absolutely true.... Matched sets of Korea & prior hashmarks are difficult to find with three or more stripes... 6+ stripes are very uncommon

I recently picked up this pair of Mess Sergeant chevrons I thought I would share. Unfortunately there was only a single of each but I was still happy to run across them.

I'm jealous..... My guess is you got these at a near-theft price......

Thanks Mtlh2010. Since I do not have any real pricing experiences to compare I will venture out on a limb and agree they were probably a near theft price :) In retrospect, I did not realize at the time exactly how special they were.

• 4 weeks later...

And close-up of the device front Is there some reason why most of the photographs are of such poor quality, it's ridiculous. Because I am on a fixed income and can't afford pre-WWII insignia, I have been accumulating photo images of insignia on my computer. Not for publication, but just to have a record of the insignia. People who reproduce insignia items already have an example to copy. A lot of the good images I come across have the person's name or business name plastered on the image. They, in effect are copyrighting the item in the image.

I'm jealous..... My guess is you got these at a near-theft price......

Are you buying to collect or to wear. If you are a collector of insignia, you don't need two of every item unless they come in mirror pairs. The only time you need both chevrons is to place them on a uniform. That is called faking an item. If you are selling an item you should say so.

Pre-WW1 SgtMaj. Notice how rockers connect to the inside edges the chevrons vs. being at the bottom. U S Marine Corps chevrons have never been worn point down. They have been worn with points pointing up since they were instituted in 1859.

Original 1892 Gunnery Sergeant for summer white uniform. As poster clarified earlier, contrary to popular belief these are NOT "Master Gunnery Sergeant" chevrons. The 1892 GySgt had the three flat ties at the bottom of the chevrons. This design was only worn from 1898 or 1899 until early 1904.

Are you buying to collect or to wear. If you are a collector of insignia, you don't need two of every item unless they come in mirror pairs. The only time you need both chevrons is to place them on a uniform. That is called faking an item. If you are selling an item you should say so.

MikeB, have we done something to offend you? What's with all of the hostility? Who are you to say what a collector should, or should not acquire, or in what quantities? Frankly, I don't like your attitude. Go troll somewhere else.

No one ever said the Corps wore chevrons with points down. The post was calling attention to how the ROCKERS connect to the CHEVRONS.

post-56663-0-55417700-1444420090.jpg

post-56663-0-22500900-1444420091.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

I have a question perhaps someone can answer. I have been grabbing up the various seem to seem chevrons whenever I can and just today I received a Gunnery Sergeant chevron. The gunny measures 10 inches wide while the rest that I have and somewhat frequently appear on ebay (SgtMaj, MSgt) are 8 inches across. What is the reason for this? Are they issues from different years?