lets see examples of rare USMC chevrons

Mtlh2010

And a printed version. I presume these are very hard to find. I'm not sure if these are perhaps Australian made or what.... but very nice design...

Excellent array of insignia's Mtlh, my compliments, thank's for starting this topic.

If I may add that the above Khaki rates will be a woven version not printed, many U.S. Rank Insignia's were made in this style, while I not saying these rates are U.S. made, we know that these were made in America, your's are perhaps as you suggest, made in Australia, I know there a few Australian made Black on White Rates floating around on display right here in this Ranks and Rates Forum, so it stands to reason that Khaki rates were made too in OZ during WWII. The threads used in these Woven insignia's BTW were Rayon, thus the description for say a White\Silver Army Private First Class rank insignia would be described as Woven Rayon, Rayon Woven, or Woven IN Rayon ( NOT as some call them on occasion, as Woven ON Rayon :lol: )

Not that these are "rare" per se, but might be useful.....

WW2 service greens chevrons - PFC thru SgtMaj. These are felt applied to felt construction.

post-56663-0-37481300-1361328107.jpg

Embroidered green on red felt backing. I know there's some who believe these are Civil Air Patrol (CAP) chevrons. However, two of these I've cut off USMC uniforms that were in really bad shape. I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions on these. The only reason I'm skeptical is I've seen a 1stSgt in this pattern where the center diamond is an "open diamond" design like the Army used. The Marines abandoned the "open diamond" after the 1912 patter green/red chevrons (pictured earlier in this thread).

post-56663-0-64193900-1361328594.jpg

And some post-Korea era chevrons without the crossed rifles that came in during the late 1950s... The star came back during this timeframe in the SgtMaj chevrons, except these pre-Vietnam era SgtMaj chevrons only had 3 rockers at the bottom as opposted to the 4-rocker design currently in use.

post-56663-0-29055800-1361328724.jpg

1912 Master Gunnery Sergeant (MGySgt), Dress Blues, seam-to-seam.... I've never seen one in person. This was from the old Gunny G's forum.... Repros of this pattern have been for sale on ebay by "NCHS" for the last 6 mos. or so....

Once again, misleading information being disseminated. This is the chevron for the rank of Gunnery Sergeant, (no "Master") worn from its date of inception in 1899 until it was changed in 1904. At this time, it lost the tie of three bars and the design was simplified to consist of a bursting bomb superimposed on cossed rifles. In 1922, it was placed in the second pay grade and given two rockers. The chevron shown would never have been produced in the smaller 1912 version.

craig_pickrall

Embroidered green on red felt backing. I know there's some who believe these are Civil Air Patrol (CAP) chevrons. However, two of these I've cut off USMC uniforms that were in really bad shape. I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions on these. The only reason I'm skeptical is I've seen a 1stSgt in this pattern where the center diamond is an "open diamond" design like the Army used. The Marines abandoned the "open diamond" after the 1912 patter green/red chevrons (pictured earlier in this thread).

What is the width of these chevrons? USMC chevrons during the WW2 period were 3 1/2" while the Army chevrons were 3". That should help clear up whether they were intended for USMC use or the CAP.

Thanks again for such a great addition. Many great chevrons being shown here.