lets see examples of rare USMC chevrons

Mtlh2010

I'll get around to photographing some of my more common stuff in the next few weeks... Until then, I'll post some of the images I've kept from past auctions I've viewed (and lost) and images from research I've done. I'm hoping this doesn't run afoul of the forum regs.....

1912 Master Gunnery Sergeant (MGySgt), Dress Blues, seam-to-seam.... I've never seen one in person. This was from the old Gunny G's forum.... Repros of this pattern have been for sale on ebay by "NCHS" for the last 6 mos. or so....

post-56663-0-12867400-1361155395.jpg

And close-up of the stitching and bursting bomb embroidery....

Notice the bomb in the center is relatively the same color as the serge green material used for the chevrons.

post-56663-0-57204300-1361156128.jpg

post-56663-0-32262700-1361156135.jpg

And a real gem.... a 1937 pattern Master Gunnery Sergeant (MGySgt). Again, super rare as it was only used for a very short period of time. I'll post separate photos of the patch and close-up shots of the stitching, reverse, and embroidery on the center bursting bomb....

However, I'm still not 100% sold on these being authentic. There's a few things that bother me about these... (1) the width of the gold material ribbon seems a tad too thin and (2) the arch of the bottom rockers seems too flat. At first glance, its hard to tell if these were meant to be rockers or flat ties. If you compare the "swing" to the arch on the bottom rockers to the 1937 pattern Gunnery Sergeant's, you'll see a noticeable difference. I wish I could have held both side-by-side for a good first-hand comparison.

post-56663-0-81195100-1361156429.jpg

A WW1 tunic with Sgt. Major chevrons.... Notice on these that the top and center rockers at the bottom loop back and touch the bottom (3rd) chevron......

post-56663-0-40280100-1361156697.jpg

And this was for sale on eBay a few years back. The seller mysteriously cancelled the bidding and wouldn't respond to any e-mails asking questions about the auction's early demise..... I suspect the seller was offered a good sum to end the auction early. However, after looking at these, I have a "hunch" these were probably mid-war period reproductions made for collectors -- perhaps some kind of Patch King offering. Just my suspicion. Its hard to imagine someone got every one of them in near-perfect condition. And, the stitching for the chevrons to the backing material worried me.

post-56663-0-80456900-1361157243.jpg

And another WW2 Navy pharmacist's mate (corpsman) attached to USMC units. Notice the eagle on this one is a little lighter color...

post-56663-0-91609000-1361157571.jpg

And a printed version. I presume these are very hard to find. I'm not sure if these are perhaps Australian made or what.... but very nice design...

post-56663-0-09258200-1361157644.jpg

post-56663-0-45301600-1361157652.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. He stated they were USN personnel attached to the USMC and the rates are made to be worn on the USMC uniform. There are several threads here that have handled these in the same manner. It is generally accepted that these fit best with USMC uniforms and chevrons. The USN versions are kept with the other USN rates.

The title of this poisting reads, "rare USMC chevrons". Once again, these are US Navy "rating badges" worn by US Navy personnel "attached" to US Marine Corps units. There is way too much inaccurate information floating around. Experienced collectors should strive to disseminate accurate terminology and not perpetuate false information. There is way too much dishonesty in this hobby anyway.

The title of this poisting reads, "rare USMC chevrons". Once again, these are US Navy "rating badges" worn by US Navy personnel "attached" to US Marine Corps units. There is way too much inaccurate information floating around. Experienced collectors should strive to disseminate accurate terminology and not perpetuate false information. There is way too much dishonesty in this hobby anyway.

Geez! "Dishonesty?" Calm down. I appreciate Mtlh2010 taking the time to post some really nice items. You don't need to hammer him over some Marine Doctor Badges.

I just picked up a tunic this weekend with another pair of very rare USMC chevrons, 1937 pattern Platoon Sergeant, 3 chevrons, 1 rocker, and star in the center. Very scarce as they were only worn for a few years until WW2 broke out.

Very nice and scarce indeed! According to United States Marine Corps Ranks And Grades, 1775-1969 the grade of platoon sergeant was established in the fall of 1935. In mid-1937 the new uniform regs eliminated all the specialty devices, including the first sergeant diamond.

As original poster Mtlh2010 should be able to determine what he wants in this thread; if he wants to cover chevrons worn in USMC units as opposed to strictly USMC chevrons that seems perfectly reasonable to me and I don't think creates undo confusion.

This has been an excellent thread with some great examples.

Justin B.

I just picked up a tunic this weekend with another pair of very rare USMC chevrons, 1937 pattern Platoon Sergeant, 3 chevrons, 1 rocker, and star in the center. Very scarce as they were only worn for a few years until WW2 broke out.

I've never seen these other than charts/illustrations.

Thanks!!