P-47 mechanic tool box Evansville, Ind.

walt323

I picked this up at a local estate sale this weekend. I have a couple of similar tool boxes in my collection but none have the the detail that this one does. The original owner was drafted in 1943 and ended up in the 97th division from what I have found online. Billy L. Gaines 35725108.

post-3685-0-78697400-1359938211_thumb.jpg

Now that is something you don't see everyday! This made me think again about something that I have wondered about. On Hwy 41 in Evansville there is/was a whirlpool plant that you could tell must have been used to build planes in WWII as the building ends opened up. It sits next to tthe small airport off of 41. Wonder if that was where this fellow did his work at.

Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Many thanks for posting the info and photos about your INDIANA DIVSION OF REPUBLIC AVATION (IDORA) toolbox.

For the last 25 years I've been seriously researching the 1942 - 1945 IDORA P-47 assembly plant, as well the large Modification Center that Republic operated across the airport from the IDORA plant.

Presently I'm writing a new book about IDORA and the publisher hopes to have it on the book stores shelves by 01 Dec. 2015.

All the very best and have a very blessed day,

Ken <><

Kenneth D. Wilson

Evansville, IN

Ken I would be very interested in reading the book when it is published. Can you post in this thread when it is So I can pick up a copy. I don't get to Evansville much anymore but my Great Grandpa's brother was, from what I understand, was

A big wheel there in the early-mid part of the last century so I have always been interested in the city,

Mike

Many thanks for posting the info and photos about your INDIANA DIVSION OF REPUBLIC AVATION (IDORA) toolbox.

For the last 25 years I've been seriously researching the 1942 - 1945 IDORA P-47 assembly plant, as well the large Modification Center that Republic operated across the airport from the IDORA plant.

Presently I'm writing a new book about IDORA and the publisher hopes to have it on the book stores shelves by 01 Dec. 2015.

All the very best and have a very blessed day,

Ken <><

Kenneth D. Wilson

Evansville, IN

• 4 months later...

The I beam looks very cool, prehaps he had to lay out and buck those rivets to progress into a new job classification, possibly master Aircrafter, a test / practice piece so to speak. Maybe even a bit of drill, ream, and countersinking to go with it... LOL We still had to buck rivets in 2002, but now they are bolting the aircrafts together....read eddie bolts, as some things change, certain skills are going to be lost. Imagne how hard it was to transition from button head rivets to counter sunk fasteners back in the day....

• 1 month later...

I am green of envy. :blush:

I am a naval aviation mechanic and I would absolutely love to acquire a tool box like that. Great piece. Thanks for sharing!