Green Beret Yarborough knives?

damcon3

It's issued at the time of graduation from the "Q"...

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, March 13, 2009) - Seasoned Green Berets are once again able to purchase a tangible, and serial numbered, connection to the Special Forces regiment.

Soldiers graduating from the Special Forces Qualification Course have been presented a Green Beret, and as part of a tradition since August 2002, a knife. Not just any knife, but the Yarborough knife, a combat field knife specifically designed by renowned knife maker William Harsey – which serves as a link to the brotherhood of unconventional warriors.

Beginning March 15, current and former Soldiers who can prove their membership in the Special Forces Regiment will be able to once again buy their Yarborough knife through the JFK Special Warfare museum here.

“We are thrilled that we can again provide our brothers in the Special Forces Regiment the ability to purchase the Yarborough knife,” said Maj. Gen. Thomas R. Csrnko, John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School commander. “This isn’t just a well-made knife; it’s an outward expression of the uniqueness of being a Green Beret and the warrior-spirit that we embody.”

The new batch of knives will start with serial number SF-0001.

Lt. Gen. Bryan D. Brown, then commander of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command originated the idea in 2002, naming the knife for Lt. Gen. William P. Yarborough , the “father of modern Special Forces.” Yarborough championed the need for a knife that would continue the tradition of Special Operations units using, and being identified with, effective edged weapons. In World War II, the First Special Service Force, a joint American-Canadian unit, was equipped with the V-42 knife and the Office of Strategic Services, the forerunner to Special Forces and the Central Intelligence Agency, made use of the Fairbairn-Sykes knife.

Made by Chris Reeve Knives of Boise, Idaho, the serial-numbered Yarborough knife is available for purchase only by qualified members of the Special Forces Regiment including active duty, reserve, National Guard, honorably separated or retirees.

Requests for authorization to purchase the knife should be addressed to Commander, USAJFKSWCS, ATTN: AOJK-CS-Y (Yarborough Knife), Fort Bragg, NC 28310 or can be dropped off at drop boxes located at JFK Museum or Bryant Hall lobby. Applications can also be faxed to 910-432-4062 or emailed to [email protected].

Each request must be accompanied by a copy of photo identification and at least one of the following qualifying documents:

Copy of orders awarding an 18 series military occupational specialty

Copy of orders awarding the Special Forces Tab

Copy of diploma indicating successful graduation from the Special Forces Qualification Course

Copy of orders or an affidavit establishing successful completion of standard or nonstandard training or former wartime service for which a retroactive award of the Special Forces Tab would be authorized

Copy of Special Forces Association membership card showing they are a Decade or a General member in good standing

Copy of an Enlisted Records Brief or Officer Records Brief annotating the awarding of the Special Forces Tab

Copy of DD214 showing service, and, after 1952, the qualifying suffix of (3) or (S).

When a request has been verified, a letter of approval will be sent to the requestor noting the total purchase price, including the cost for shipping. The letter of approval must then be mailed, with payment, to the JFK Special Warfare Museum gift shop at PO Box 70060, Fort Bragg, N.C., 28307. The Yarborough knife will then be mailed within 4-6 weeks via certified mail.

Requests from Family members or estates of deceased, qualified Special Forces Regiment members who can prove their Soldier’s qualification will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Special Forces Soldiers who have been previously issued the knife as a result of graduating the SFQC, have already purchased a knife under the previous resale program, or those who have had their Special Forces Tab revoked, are not eligible to purchase the knife.

A version of the Yarborough knife, marketed as the ‘Green Beret’, is available for purchase by the general public.

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, March 28, 2010) – While Special Forces Soldiers are known for their mastery of many weapons, one weapon in their arsenal stands out in particular: the Yarborough Knife.

Named after Lt. Gen. William P. Yarborough, who is known as the “father of modern Special Forces,” the 12.5-inch combat utility knife began as a simple dinner conversation between Yarborough and Lt. Gen. Doug Brown about the need for a standard knife for Special Forces. Yarborough wanted Special Forces Soldiers to have a distinct edge blade weapon like their ancestors in World War II.

Beginning in August 2002 every Soldier who graduated from the Special Forces Qualification Course, part of the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, was issued the Yarborough Knife with its own serial number, and signed a special record book along with the most elite members of the United States Army, including Yarborough himself. The knife was also initially available for current Green Berets and Special Forces veterans.

Distribution of the Yarborough Knife was discontinued in 2004, after roughly one-thousand knives were issued. Maj. Gen. Thomas R. Csrnko, commanding general of USAJFKSWCS, reinstituted the issue of the knife, and was the first to sign for the new blades in 2008, with each knife now containing a serial followed by the limited edition number of its blade.

As each Green Beret crosses the stage upon graduation of the SFQC, he receives a legacy of the Brotherhood of Special Forces, signing in the pages of an illustrious history, shared by a select few. Only a few short years after its conception, the honor of the Yarborough Knife has now become almost as large of a part of the heritage and tradition of Special Forces as the Green Beret, and has also been shared with a small number of dignitaries such as President George W. Bush.

Got word back from my buddy saying this post is pretty accurate.

• 4 months later...

25ateeda- Do mean to collect the V42 over the Yarborough, or for issue and use? Collector wise oh, heck ya, give me a V42. Utilitarian, not so much. Your knife will be used way more for field tasks, than a V42 could handle. They are designed to kill, not much more, they're too light for chopping, blade is too delicate for much of anything else. Yarborough is ok. I could have bought one from the museum, had the paperwork, but was just not impressed enough to throw $325 at it, especially just to get a serial number engraved, and my name on some list. Give me a MK2 any day for a field knife. Just my opinion. SKIP

• 7 months later...

I still have mine from when I graduated the Q. We were the first class to get them in August 2002. Ours started at #1000 and were told numbers below that were reserved for dignitaries and other VIPs. All other prior SF people can (or at least could) get them through proof of their SF status by JFKSWCS at Ft. Bragg.

My first thought was like others - though this is a high quality knife and very sharp, the V42 is the actual historical knife pictured on the SF crest, why not make a replica of one of those? I surmise that they wanted a knife that SF guys could own just about anywhere in the US and not run into legal problems as double edged knives are prohibited in blue state leftist havens like MA, NY, NJ & CA. Most of the aforementioned not only prohibit carry, but mere possession. Even then one needs to be careful with transporting the Yarborough as a civilian. I brought it to Iraq as a private contractor, but caught hell when I tried to ship it back via the postal system. The US military postal system we contractors also used had extra regulations compared to the usual US system and it took some doing - and a letter to my congressman - to convince a postal clerk to let me ship it home. After that I never brought it overseas again - too afraid to lose it. In all honesty, I found it a bit too big for the security work I was doing at the time and probably much more suited for backwoods bear hunting, jungle environments, raw survival, etc. For day to day use I like a good folder like the Applegate/Sykes inspired covert folder from Gerber.

I did not know about the gap from 2004-2008 where the knife was not awarded but it doesn't surprise me, given the cost. I know someone else who is in the course now; I will have to ask him if he's heard of the knife or if it's being given nowadays.

I still have mine from when I graduated the Q. We were the first class to get them in August 2002. Ours started at #1000 and were told numbers below that were reserved for dignitaries and other VIPs. All other prior SF people can (or at least could) get them through proof of their SF status by JFKSWCS at Ft. Bragg. .

Correction: The 1st 1000 knives were available for purchase by any prior/current SF (qualified) with the exception of a few that were presented to VIPs. IE: Number 0001 was given to Bill Yarborough. The purchase program was brought back again in 2009 with knives with serial numbers beginning with the prefix "SF". As far as I know they are still available.

• 3 weeks later...