American Spitfire Pilot K.I.A. RCAF

Wharfmaster

This is a Canadian Memorial Cross to an American Spitfire Pilot flying with the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Since WW1, Canada has awarded silver Memorial Crosses to the next of kin of men and women that have lost their lives during wartime. More commonly known as the Mother's Cross, it is awarded to both mothers and widows.

Our hero "Vic" was born in Ohio and was living in Indiana when he decided to become a fighter pilot.

We assume he trained in Canada and then joined 402 RCAF Squadron as a Flight Sgt. (Pilot) in the UK.

On 24 August 1942, Vic's Squadron attacked a group of German FW190s. Then, they were jumped by a larger group of FWs. Vic's Spitfire was shot down. His remains were recovered and reside in the Valery-en-Caux Franco-British Cemetery (near Dieppe), far from his Indiana home.

post-525-0-21642800-1359860784.jpg

I too have a complete medal grouping, (including his Mother's Cross) to an American in the RCAF. It is one of my favorite groupings.

Congratulations! :)

Thanks for sharing this brave pilots story. These can't be very common at all. What a great medal!

JD

Thanks very much. Memorial Crosses to fighter pilots are uncommon. We sometimes forget that a WW2 pilot's flying career was most often short. We remember them all.

Regards,

W

I too have a complete medal grouping, (including his Mother's Cross) to an American in the RCAF. It is one of my favorite groupings.

Congratulations! :)

Thanks JS, free free to post your group too.

Regards,

W

A wonderful piece of Hoosier history! Do you know much more on him? Hometown here in Indiana, etc.? Thank you for posting this and keeping his memory alive!

A wonderful piece of Hoosier history! Do you know much more on him? Hometown here in Indiana, etc.? Thank you for posting this and keeping his memory alive!

Thanks very much BEAST.

He was from Richmond. He was born not far away in Dayton.

Best regards,

W

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...