American Spitfire Pilot K.I.A. RCAF

This is a Canadian Memorial Cross to an American Spitfire Pilot flying with the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Since WW1, Canada has awarded silver Memorial Crosses to the next of kin of men and women that have lost their lives during wartime. More commonly known as the Mother's Cross, it is awarded to both mothers and widows.

Our hero "Vic" was born in Ohio and was living in Indiana when he decided to become a fighter pilot.

We assume he trained in Canada and then joined 402 RCAF Squadron as a Flight Sgt. (Pilot) in the UK.

On 24 August 1942, Vic's Squadron attacked a group of German FW190s. Then, they were jumped by a larger group of FWs. Vic's Spitfire was shot down. His remains were recovered and reside in the Valery-en-Caux Franco-British Cemetery (near Dieppe), far from his Indiana home.

post-525-0-21642800-1359860784.jpg

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

Thanks for sharing this brave pilots story. These can't be very common at all. What a great medal!

JD

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Thanks for sharing this brave pilots story. These can't be very common at all. What a great medal!

JD

Thanks very much. Memorial Crosses to fighter pilots are uncommon. We sometimes forget that a WW2 pilot's flying career was most often short. We remember them all.

Regards,

W

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

I too have a complete medal grouping, (including his Mother's Cross) to an American in the RCAF. It is one of my favorite groupings.

Congratulations! :)

Thanks JS, free free to post your group too.

Regards,

W

A wonderful piece of Hoosier history! Do you know much more on him? Hometown here in Indiana, etc.? Thank you for posting this and keeping his memory alive!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

A wonderful piece of Hoosier history! Do you know much more on him? Hometown here in Indiana, etc.? Thank you for posting this and keeping his memory alive!

Thanks very much BEAST.

He was from Richmond. He was born not far away in Dayton.

Best regards,

W

Beautiful medal.Thanks for posting

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...