French MAS-36 Captured at Hue

Nkomo

French MAS-36 that was captured at the Battle of Hue. I will let the pictures do the talking. This is one gun that if it could talk, I'm sure it would have an interesting story to tell.

abca_010.jpg

abca_011.jpg

abca_012.jpg

An interesting piece, and certainly looks to have seen some history!

Do you know the year it was made?

Thanks for the comment. I do not know what year it was made.

MAS 36 rifles with a black laquer finish were made between 1936-1939. In whole they were produced from 1936-1949. Do you have the serial number on the receiver? It should be clearly visible on the right side. Are all the numbers matching? They were placed on the receiver, bolt, trigger and trigger guard, floor plate, and stock

I checked the gun for serial number range. Nothing matches, but receiver has an FG prefix before the serial number. The FG prefix would put it being made between 1950 and 1951. Hope this helps.

Found a thread on gunboards.com that gave the following information:

F G H J K and L up to 3500 are 1936 to 1940.

L M N O P and Q are 1945 to 1950(All of these are in Cursive script.)

FG 1950 to 51,

FH 1952 to 54,

FJ, not run through to 100,000 guns, 55 to 56.All of these are Roman letters...

FJ stopped at approx 15,000 in April 1956, in favor of the continued production of the 1936-51 which has its own series.

Block F, Block G. up to the early 60's all of this is approximated from rumor and published sources and the actual examination of guns.

. . . . and

All of the F,G, H, and some of the J series are pre-war guns, and the K up to approximately 30,000 are war time, the L up to 35XX more or less are up to June 1940.

When France was liberated, the made some guns that had no numbers at all, and some with just 3 digits, then they took up where they left off with the K and L series guns.

The J series is hard to find, as they did not use all the numbers.

The pre war L is likewise hard to find.

Rumor has it that the F series was almost all converted to CR 39, the surviving ones that were returned for overhaul anyhow....

Link: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?46434-MAS-36-Serial-Question

Still sweet IMO - better than the 2/25 BCT sign of mine haha!!!!!!

Great item, lots of history - just imagine the fingers that were on this over its life!!!