AH 64 Helmet and Bag circa 1980s complete

Joe bailey

I have an AH 64 IHADDS helmet fully functional complete harness (ear cups are shot) with check list and bag excluding the side bags. Issued in 1988, worn in Desert Shield Desert Storm.

I am wondering if it has any value as a collectors item. If so where would I advertise it and what is it worth?

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate to read them.

Post some pics of that bad boy if you can, would love to see it. I actually have 2 of those old rigger made IHADSS bags, 1 has no sling and the zipper is shot, the other has the strap and one of the additional velcro/snap on visor pockets. I don't know if I ever saw a pic of someone using 2 of those additional pockets on those bags, just recall one. Have a later woodland nylon bag with the spare visor pouch as well.

Let me know what you might need for assistance. You will need to upload pics to a hosting site like photobucket or No_outside_hosting.

For reference sake here are pic of my rigger made IHADSS bag:

A_zps28549ad1.jpg

B_zpsb90bd49b.jpg

C_zpsc291cb77.jpg

That is the same as mine. The bag and side bags came loose and the Helmet was selected by size after they measured my head. Then the tech guys fitted it with the skull cap on.

Did you feel like it was beyond your skills when you were flying the bag portion? I was paired with an old friend of . We were both W-4s with thousands of hours and IPs and SIPs when we started. I recall after 4 or 5 days we both called home and said we did not think we were going make it. A very humbling experience for a couple of old guy's. We fessed up on the Bus to flight line and had a laugh. Our IP told us we were right on schedule. We of course did not believe him at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having trouble with loading the files with the photos of the IHADDS. I have 6 I would like to post, but even one at a time is to large any suggestions?

Thanks for the help Hawkdriver. I was starting to think I was not going to be able to get them posted. I think I have the side packs in the attic but will not try try to post any new photos.

I apologize to those who may have looked to see them earlier.

Cobrahistorian

Did you feel like it was beyond your skills when you were flying the bag portion? I was paired with an old friend of . We were both W-4s with thousands of hours and IPs and SIPs when we started. I recall after 4 or 5 days we both called home and said we did not think we were going make it. A very humbling experience for a couple of old guy's. We fessed up on the Bus to flight line and had a laugh. Our IP told us we were right on schedule. We of course did not believe him at the time.

The Bag was the hardest thing I've ever done. Didn't help that we sat for 2 weeks while the other half of the class flew, then we had winter exodus for three weeks and then literally 3 flights before our Bag checkrides... Didn't go over well.

Thats a very nice piece. Whats the little green cloth item next to the helmet? Skull cap for the IHADSS? Thats an interesting looking little pubs bag I assume was ALSE/Rigger made.

Anyone know what that type of material is called that was used to make those helmet bags? Seems like a common material the ALSE shop used to make bags and pouches etc. I have a shop made MBU-12 oxygen mask bag that came from an OV-1 Mohawk instructor at Rucker that is made of the same green cloth material. Same type of thread was used too.

That is my skull cap. The material is the same stuff they made the newer dufflebags with and the pubs bag was from a B 4 bag type material it's a heavy canvas. They worked great for flight charts, E6Bs and knee boards.

I agree, the Bag was the most difficult training I have had. It was counter to all my instincts and previous experience as a pilot. I was surprised with the length of the course until I started it and the drop out rate was almost as high as primary training at Ft Walters. I was told there was no set backs allowed you either made it or not. And supposedly if you could not make it there was no down side to your record.

Like most things we find difficult to do, I am glad I had the chance to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Gents,

I went through the AH-64 AQC in 1986. My issue helmet bag was the exact same one so I'm curious where the 'rigger-made IHADDS bag' part comes from? Everyone in my class (and squadron) had the same bags. Issued at the same time as the helmet. Not the greatest design though. If you put any type of weight in the smaller, side-bags (such as pubs), they would simply fall off.

Those black pub bags were available at a shop called "Wings" just outside the Daleville gate. Insofar as I'm aware, they're still in business.

I'm jealous that you still have your lid. I have all my helmets except my IHADDS.

Wings is still there, but a shell of it's former self. A new store across the road cropped up called "The Hangar" and that seems to be where most people go now.

Was checking out the helmet. The one shown looks like the same style used on the SPH-4. I think I had a different (smaller) mic. I vaguely recall it looking similar to today's electret mics.

I was wrong about the microphone. Checked a few of my pics and it's the same one. I keep thinking there was an issue with the mic that came from the factory (86, in my case) and they were all changed. So much for clarity of memory!

I've def seen the smaller black mic on IHADSS helmets before. I believe its designation is M-162 used with the "Tempest"? headsets, I have one of those setups in a box of spare parts. Has the mic and the mic cord is 3 pin vs 2 and then the main ICS cord is the style shown on Joe's helmet with the second shielded jack. Also has the 3 connector jack assembly for the headset cable, then the rotating switch for the mic cable and a pro mask mic cable. I think they were only used by Apache and Kiowa guys back in the 80s or early 90s, not sure though. Maybe someone here might recall that.

Also here's one of the old school Wings pubs bag. You can tell its old since the label lacks website info like their later products have. Its a nice simple, gets the job done bag.

A_zps46b1371f.jpg

B_zps605d5d36.jpg

Talked to my former crewchief. He thinks it was a compatibility issue with the headsets/mics the crewchiefs were using (ours had SPH-4s). So we ended up going with the SPH-4 type mics (I think they are carbon mics). I don't remember if this was at Ft Rucker during the AH-64AQC or at Ft Hood.

I did the AQC in 1986 so the timeline fits with your recollection

Took a look at the two bags I still have. The top one is a larger bag that I purchased in Primary -- its logo matches the sign that was on the store (circa 1985/86). The lower label is from a smaller bag I purchased while doing instrument training. Same label as yours. Until I saw your post, I had no idea these bags even had labels in them!

wings.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am still looking fo the side bags, I am sure they are here somewhere. They were just to much to carry around and I could get all my stuff in the one bag. Gave my vest to a new fly fishing friend that did not have a vest. I have gotten a few offers for the grouping of stuff but not anything serious. Thinking about e bay. Any of you sold anything on e bay?

• 3 weeks later...
Spathologist

How did you guys get those Wings bags to last this long? I usually got a couple of years out of one before I'd wear a big hole in it or have a big seam blow out.

Finally just went the custom route and got one built to my specs. Sucks being two mail-weeks away from getting a replacement and having to bum another helmet bag from ALSE in the interim.

Cobrahistorian

I've got my Wings kneeboard and pubs bag still. Went with the issue IHADSS helmet bag though. I'll post pics in a bit. It's up in my footlocker in the attic.

Jon