USAF Survival Kit Monocular?

hirsca

Recent estate sale find. Also acquired his Command Pilot wings hallmarked Meyer 9/M. Based on the wings, I'm guessing both items are from the mid 50's to the mid 60's. Limited research shows the monoculars in a rayon (?) case would have been included in the survival kits of B-52's and B-58's. Case has a belt loop and (to me) looks like it was rigger made. Any help with an ID is much appreciated. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-67228200-1359822513.jpg

post-12790-0-24694400-1359822614_thumb.jpg

Recent estate sale find. Also acquired his Command Pilot wings hallmarked Meyer 9/M. Based on the wings, I'm guessing both items are from the mid 50's to the mid 60's. Limited research shows the monoculars in a rayon (?) case would have been included in the survival kits of B-52's and B-58's. Case has a belt loop and (to me) looks like it was rigger made. Any help with an ID is much appreciated. Thanks, Al.

Last pic.

post-12790-0-43303700-1359822807_thumb.jpg

I have had two of these in the last few years, both quote similar to yours. One was in an identical nylon case, and if memory serves me right, the other was in a case of an identical pattern, but made of canvas and not nylon; for some reason Inhave it in my head the nylon was a later model.

I think your description is right on the money tho.

As far as kits, I think they were used in the larger sized, non-seat pan type kits that were part of the aircraft as opposed to part of a seat or parachute pack.

MW

Thanks, MW. The case looks like it was made out of material similar to the later flight helmet bags that I have had. There was no tag in the case and the sewing is not exactly uniform throughout, so that's why I think it was rigger made. Anyone have a list of items that were included in the larger sized survival kits? Thanks again, Al.

northcoastaero

The BAT-21 (Iceal Hambleton) display at the National Museum of the USAF had one of these monoculars displayed on the flight gear mannequin. I believe he flew in the Douglas EB-66C and the monocular was in the survival vest. Check out the book: United States Combat Aircrew Survival Equipment by Michael S. Breuninger for contents of larger acft. survival kits.