Souvenir of Korea...

Brigade-Piron

Brigade-Piron

Dear all,

Great idea for a sub-board!

This is the pride of my Korean War collection! It’s a small (one-sided) North Korean flag, acquired by a US soldier in Korea some time around 1952 from a liberated village. It’s rather flimsy cotton construction and quite small. I do have the name of the soldier whose find it was, but so far I have failed to find any records which I can confirm as being the same guy (quite a common name).

Anyway, here it is!

IMG_1966.jpg

It must have been quite a souvenir for the guy at the time – the North Koreans certainly weren’t exactly giving them away!

Best wishes,

BP

Do you know what unit he was in or the name of the village that was liberated? If you know the village you may be able to find the name of the unit.

What is the name of the Soldier? Perhaps a member on here that is a member of a geneology website can look his info up..

Leigh

Brigade-Piron

Thank you for your comments! The soldier in question was a Pfc. Gustav "Gus" Brown (who was at some point in his career in the US 9th ID). I believe he started his career as an artilleryman before "converting" to the infantry. Any information anyone could give me on him would be very appreciated, but unfortunately, it is quite a common name.

Thanks!

Name: Gustav Brown Birth Date: 4 May 1932 Death Date: 1 Aug 1957 SSN: 240408712 Branch 1: ARMY Enlistment Date 1 14 Nov 1952 Release Date 1:

13 Mar 1954

I think this may be your man, Given the time frame when he enlisted, he may have served in Korea. He died a young age of 25.

There is also a Cemetery card for this person. It lists his awards as a Combat Infantryman's badge and Bronze Service Star, which could mean service star for the Korean Service Medal.

Gustav Sidney Brown Birth Date: 4 May 1932 Death Date: 1 Aug 1957 Cemetery: Maplewood Cemetery Cemetery Location:

Greensboro, North Carolina

The application for headstone marker also indicates this Gustav Brown was in 2nd Battlion 14th Infantry.

Not sure again if this is your man or not, it is the closest I came to any Korean era veteran.

Leigh