• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WW2 Balloon Observer wings & misc. pin board

Hello all,

I was wondering if somebody could help date when the Balloon Observer wings were manufactured and I would also appreciate some help identifying anything else that is desirable on the miscellaneous pin board I purchased.

Thanks in advance!

William Kramer

post-83697-0-99207700-1359669775_thumb.jpg

Us and them - and after all we’re only ordinary men. Me, and you - God only knows it’s not what we would choose to do. Forward he cried from the rear, and the front rank died, and the general sat and the lines on the map moved from side to side.

- US & THEM, THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - PINK FLOYD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reverse

post-83697-0-34206300-1359669875_thumb.jpg

Us and them - and after all we’re only ordinary men. Me, and you - God only knows it’s not what we would choose to do. Forward he cried from the rear, and the front rank died, and the general sat and the lines on the map moved from side to side.

pin board. What are the bronze wings at the top?

post-83697-0-64920700-1359669970.jpg

post-83697-0-37572500-1359670033.jpg

post-83697-0-24299400-1359670043.jpg

post-83697-0-11222300-1359670070.jpg

post-83697-0-06548700-1359670086.jpg

post-83697-0-72635700-1359670160.jpg

pin board. What are the bronze wings at the top?

Im guessing an instructors wing.Maybe a sweetheart wing.If you can get a close up picture maybe we can see better details.Any markings on the back//

The Civil Air Patrol wing is nice also.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

There is a nice early USN CPO hat insignia.

these?

Thanks for all the help from all so far!

William Kramer

post-83697-0-01276400-1359703145.jpg

That's a fine collection of pins. Difficult to get a sense of scale/size but you appear to have a couple of USAAF officers' collar devices (winged props) and officer's visor hat device (the great seal of the US) and a USMC marksman's award (silver crossed rifles) Many of your others would fall into the "Homefront" and " Sweethearts" category...but still highly collectible!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

The silver spread-eagle grasping the r/w/b enamelled disc is Civil Air Patrol badge. The numbered crossed muskets are Infantry officers' collar brass. The two enamelled stars with crossed muskets suspended beneath is a mother's pin indicating she had two sons in the Army. Can we get a back/front shot of the larger "gold" wings, top centre? They look very interesting!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Depending on its scale, the velvet crown looks like British officers' rank insignia, Major thru Brigadier, depending upon the number of "pips" worn with it.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Hello all,

Will post some photos of a small sample of what all is here. If anyone could further help me identify what all is here I would greatly appreciate it.

William Kramer

post-83697-0-56525000-1360381983.jpg

post-83697-0-63044300-1360382026.jpg

post-83697-0-94382900-1360382047.jpg

post-83697-0-78306100-1360382063.jpg

post-83697-0-48709700-1360382275.jpg

post-83697-0-34272700-1360382297.jpg

post-83697-0-59577800-1360382397.jpg

post-83697-0-68960500-1360382417.jpg

post-83697-0-90067900-1360382488.jpg