Whitehead & Hoag Co Hallmark -- Anyone seen this?

mtnman

Picked this 1 1/2 inch beauty up this AM but do NOT know the Hallmark at all. I thought WOW, I finally got a Kinney Co 1 1/2 Inch! Nope, this wing is by a different maker all together and a different design in the details. Wing Men ??

post-76516-0-27056700-1359652123_thumb.jpg

post-76516-0-34181500-1359652135_thumb.jpg

post-76516-0-71617300-1359652143_thumb.jpg

AWESOME JD, Thanks for checking! I have a post on a "silver" forum to see if we can get a bite there. I guess this is a pretty rare wing. The manufacter is absolutely beautiful the more I look at it and markedly different from Jenkel and Kinney in design in the details. It is a Blessing to have a chance to have stewardship over this wing for a time until I get my nephew up and running to collect, with his History and his Theology studies linking up to give him a full appreciation for what these men did and fought for regarding this nation's once great values. He will be taking up the mantle of our nation's defense in time as our family has through the generations; Air Force Pilotry is his goal. This will make a good starter wing for him. That's my boy in the pic I set as my gravatar with his dad, a True American Soldier in the most fundamental sense of the days of America's Birth. Hopefully we can add the Maker to the Wing Knowledge base. Thanks again everyone who posted and I will let you know anything from the silver forum....

Blessings to You All...

Mel

Mel,

Just checked. Sorry to say it is the Kinney & Company hallmark that is on the pilots bracelet I have. I knew it was something close to your marking.

Hope you find something out on it!

JD

Hi Mel,

Well, I've looked at this hallmark and really don't know what its supposed to be. I see the diamond border and what appears to be a circle inside another circle that is not fully closed. Is the center supposed to be a letter "C" with a smaller letter "o" inside, for "Company"? If so, why would it be upside down in relation to the other parts of the hallmark?

The diagonal lines inside the diamond are..? Are they representing lighting bolts or, do they form a design that I just don't see here?

I know the Williams & Anderson diamond hallmark and this is not that but, as the wing is 1/20th 10K gold filled, did that company, or another, produce a special run of wings for those that wanted a wing with actual gold in it? If so, the mark might not be exactly the same as a regular production piece.

I like to study hallmarks, so this one has my curiosity.

Tim

These are the most remotely resembling marks I have found....Thanks to the Forum and of course the Most Excellent and fine Collector/Historian Andrew Lipps for the pics...

Whitehead & Hoag...

post-76516-0-15124500-1359721686.jpg

post-76516-0-60856400-1359721699.jpg

These are the most remotely resembling marks I have found....Thanks to the Forum and of course the Most Excellent and fine Collector/Historian Andrew Lipps for the pics...

Whitehead & Hoag...

The bottom one is the one I was talking about. As a matter of fact that is my photo. It is on the backside of my small AVG pin. Andrew has a great site but dosn't credit the people that send him the photos for his site. He uses dozens of photos I have sent him. Sorry I should have dug it out and posted it with my comment. Good luck, I hope you figure it out!

• 9 years later...