Howitzer Display

Cannoncocker155mm

1SG_1st_Cav

A-1-30th FA Platoon, LZ Illingsworth, 27 March 1970. This was a hasty occupation. There was a devastating attack on this LZ on 1 April 1970, with over 50 US KIAs and more than 70 WIA. Our 3-Gun Platoon suffered 16 WIAs. Danny

post-1691-0-17716700-1366922893.jpg

Cannoncocker155mm

Hi Danny,

Ok no problem, thanks for trying to ID it, I'll keep looking and let you know if i find anything

Thank you

Thanks for the picture and information, the amount of KIA and WIA you mention brings home the true cost.

I haven't had any luck identifying the bracket either, I have asked on other forums and no luck.

chief on one

In the photo below there is a gray box, can anyone ID it ??? Its not like the Fuze tins that ive seen before, the ones I have are more square in shape.

Thanks

post-1691-0-78130200-1365118058_zps2a736

That Gray box, as I remember is going to be the THERMITE GRNEADES. To destroy the guns so the enemy could not use them.

1SG_1st_Cav

We did have some of our guns destroyed by enemy fire [120mm mortars and 122mm Rockets]. Couldn't be Thermite Grenades as we never had to destroy our guns. Hard Chargers of the 1-30th FA would rather die fighting than lose a gun. In fact 40 Hard Chargers did die rather than lose or destroy a gun. Check with some of the other 69 US Army Field Artillery Units that served in Vietnam as they may have had to destroy their guns. Danny