Howitzer Display

Cannoncocker155mm

Cannoncocker155mm

Thank you,

Thats very moving and brings home the memory of those who served and continues to keep there memory alive for future generations.

1SG_1st_Cav

First picture is C-1-30th FA on a hilltop position overlooking the A Shau Valley in late 1968. Second picture is A-1-30th FA 155mm Howitzer being lifted out by a Chinook Helicopter. These were the third upgrade of the CH-47 Chinook with the Super Engines that allowed them to lift the 12,600 pound 155mm Howitzers.

Danny

post-1691-0-01150800-1364777119.jpg

post-1691-0-87495400-1364777600.jpg

Cannoncocker155mm

Do you know what the safety information says and looks like, does anyone have a clear photo of it or know where I can find one ???

Thanks

1SG_1st_Cav

The safety information could include any number of data. Minimum/ maximum eleveation, left and right maximum deflection, and any special corrections the Gunner would need to know depending on the Fire Mission. There was no standard and each unit devised their own depending on their combat situation and location, and weapon type.

Most generally, it was to prevent you from firing on friendly troops, or hitting trees, ridges, or other obstructions in front of your gun position.

Danny

Cannoncocker155mm

Hi Danny,

I'm thinking of recreating the safety information to go on My Howitzer at displays, if you can drop me a PM or put it on here what its made from, how its was fixed on the breech and what was on there it would be great, as usual a photo of it would be fantasic but I think i would be very luck with that ???

Thanks again for your help with this

Another thing that may help: Batteries often placed down Wood planks to keep the howitzers from digging themselves into the earth. The clay rich soil of Vietnam would swallow up a piece right to the axle even if just slightly moist after a few dozen rounds. Put down a few 2X4s and hammer them down to sink them a bit for the wheels to rest on. Also, maybe make a "pile" of casings off to the side. But regardless, this is amazing even without. Keep it up my man....

Cannoncocker155mm

Another thing that may help: Batteries often placed down Wood planks to keep the howitzers from digging themselves into the earth. The clay rich soil of Vietnam would swallow up a piece right to the axle even if just slightly moist after a few dozen rounds. Put down a few 2X4s and hammer them down to sink them a bit for the wheels to rest on. Also, maybe make a "pile" of casings off to the side. But regardless, this is amazing even without. Keep it up my man....

Thank you for the kind words, I have some spare planks I'll use them in future displays. I currently looking for extra bits to make it more like a firebase in use.

Thanks again

1SG_1st_Cav

You wanted pictures of gun pits in Vietnam. Here is B-1-30th FA at LZ St Barbara on 28 May 1969. You can see multiple guns in this shot. Danny

post-1691-0-08072500-1365034380.jpg

Cannoncocker155mm

You wanted pictures of gun pits in Vietnam. Here is B-1-30th FA at LZ St Barbara on 28 May 1969. You can see multiple guns in this shot. Danny

Love the picture, so much going on with sandbags, boxes, bunkers etc That's the sort of set up I can only dream of. :D

1SG_1st_Cav

Here is another gun pit configuration with A-1-30th FA in 1970 at a new Fire Base. This may have been in Cambodia in May June 1970.

Danny

post-1691-0-82212100-1365117109.jpg

That is an incredible display. I can't imagine how much work goes in to collecting, maintaining and moving such an impressive collection. Very well done. Thanks for posting the photos.

Danny, those guidons and you displays look great.

1SG_1st_Cav

Regarding the issue of the "Sinking Howitzers" and throwing boards under it, the M114A1 Howitzer had a jack stand with a large steel plate under it. I've been searching for this picture and finally found it. It is another Larry Burrows picture for LIFE magazine taken just outside Khe Sanh on 4 April 1968 of A -1-30th FA. Danny

PS: Note the Infantry guys from the 2-12th Cav scrounging water as they passed by. The needed it humping those hills around Khe Sanh.

post-1691-0-78130200-1365118058.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

Here is another Larry Burrows LIFE Magazine picture of A-1-30th FA in a duel with an NVA Artillery Crew on a distant hill yop. You can see the rounds impacting in the background. A-1-30th FA +1 NVA Gun Crew 0. Danny Our guys never had a chance to dig in before they were attacked. But they were professionals and whipped the NVA's asses! FIELD ARTILLERY IS THE KING OF BATTLE

post-1691-0-88545800-1365118431.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

And one more shot that kind of says it all about the haste with which our guys had to respond once they landed. This is another Larry Burrows shot for LIFE Magazine. Danny

post-1691-0-85115600-1365118575.jpg

Cannoncocker155mm

The safety information could include any number of data. Minimum/ maximum eleveation, left and right maximum deflection, and any special corrections the Gunner would need to know depending on the Fire Mission. There was no standard and each unit devised their own depending on their combat situation and location, and weapon type.

Most generally, it was to prevent you from firing on friendly troops, or hitting trees, ridges, or other obstructions in front of your gun position.

Danny

Someone on another forum said that a PS Magazine may of discussed the topic at some point so can any members let me know if this information is in the magazine ?????

Thanks

Cannoncocker155mm

That is an incredible display. I can't imagine how much work goes in to collecting, maintaining and moving such an impressive collection. Very well done. Thanks for posting the photos.

Danny, those guidons and you displays look great.

Thanks for the kind words, yes it takes a lot of work and effort and I'm lucky enough that my Girlfriend supports me with this and shares the driving to and from the Shows in the M54 with the Gun on the back as well as helping me to set up along with a few friends

I've collected most of the stuff over the last few years and I would hate to think how much Ive spent on shipping the stuff from one side of the pond to the other, but its been worth it to hear the great comments and see Veterans reactions when they come and see the display.

Thanks again :rolleyes:

Cannoncocker155mm

And one more shot that kind of says it all about the haste with which our guys had to respond once they landed. This is another Larry Burrows shot for LIFE Magazine. Danny

I just love the pictures you keep finding, they are the best Ive seen for a very long time and just capture the mood of the place perfectly.

The Projectiles lying around reminds me of my lock up when I'm getting ready for the shows :D Just wish I could get some of those driving band protectors as shown in the photo.

Cannoncocker155mm

In the photo below there is a gray box, can anyone ID it ??? Its not like the Fuze tins that ive seen before, the ones I have are more square in shape.

Thanks

post-1691-0-78130200-1365118058_zps2a7369c0.jpg

Cannoncocker155mm

It is a shipping container for fuzes. Danny

Must be a later type fuze tin than the ones i have.

Thanks for the info

1SG_1st_Cav

C-6-16th FA Near Phu Cat in late 1966. Preparing to put several tons of 155mm rounds on 'ol, Charley's butt. This Battery was attached to 1-30th FA in 1967 giving us four 155mm Batteries with 6 guns each. The need was there for additional firepower and we gladly provided it! C-6-16th FA was a Bastard Battery and the only one of it's kind in Vietnam. The rest of their Battalion was sitting on their butts back at Ft Sill while these guys were getting the stuffings kicked out of them. They took a terrible loss on 27 December 1966 at a very lonely place called LZ Bird. We adopted them into our 30th FA Regiment Association and they are an intergral part of it. Danny

post-1691-0-79814200-1365539127.jpg