Howitzer Display

Cannoncocker155mm

Cannoncocker155mm

Hi All,

Well I thought it was time for you to see what I do with all the Artillery stuff I collect.

Please see below some photos from my Vietnam Artillery Display held at the 2012 War and Peace Show here in England. This years display was dedicated to Mr Larry Tesh of The 1/92nd Field Artillery who served during the Vietnam War.

The unit sign in the photos is copied from one of his original photographs taken at Fort Bragg, North Carolina the year before he was deployed to Vietnam.

I hope you enjoy them

As always I'm still on the look out for anything related to the US 155mm Howitzer to make my displays bigger and better. These items can be tools, canvas items, equipment, cleaning brushes etc etc.

Do any of our members know any Artillery dealers or have items for sale themselves ??? They can be from WW2 , Korea and Vietnam

Thank you

g503-1.jpg

g5031-1.jpg

g5032-1.jpg

g5035.jpg

g5038.jpg

g5039.jpg

g50311.jpg

Thanks for posting the great photos of your display. My uncle was the Commanding Officer of the 28th Field Artillery Battalion, 8th Infantry Div.

from 1943 to Nov. 1945 and that was his gun, the 155 mm Howitzer. He spent most of his military career around artillery...no wonder he was so hard of hearing. :) Bob

Cannoncocker155mm

I love this. Looks very similar to our modern setups. The funny thing is some of the shells we were shooting were dated in from the '50's

you might like this that I just posted:

http://www.usmilitar...-in-action-fdc/

Thats great I'll check it out, Good to see the diffrence between old and new. I expect there is alot of projectiles dating back to the 50s, same i cant get a few more on this side of the pond :)

Thanks again

Cannoncocker155mm

Thanks for posting the great photos of your display. My uncle was the Commanding Officer of the 28th Field Artillery Battalion, 8th Infantry Div.

from 1943 to Nov. 1945 and that was his gun, the 155 mm Howitzer. He spent most of his military career around artillery...no wonder he was so hard of hearing. :) Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comments, i try to get things correct. Thats a great bit of history about your uncle, I bet he saw alot of rounds out and action ??? I havent met a Cannoncocker yet who isnt deaf

I hope to be firing mine at shows this year so hopefully i wont go deaf :)

Thanks

Cannoncocker155mm

Impressive display.

The sign made me smile, typical artillery humor.

Erwin

Glad you like it, I know what you mean about artillery Humor, I saw this picture on the web and I will recreate the set up at a Easter show i go to :)

post-34914-0-69844500-1359656658.jpg

Cannoncocker155mm

I saw that display at Beltring...very impressive. Do you plan on taking it to Folkestone in July?

Thanks for all the great comments guys, yes I hope to be taking it all, not sure about a static display or a firing display in the arena yet, we will have to see closer to the time

• 1 month later...
Cannoncocker155mm

Since I started this thread I've had some great comments and feedback and as the new show season is aproaching I'm always looking at ways to improve my display / collection so any ideas as to what I can do or leads on items that are For Sale are always welcome.

One thing I have to say, is: AMAZING. great collecting and great display. If your looking for some constructive criticism, than here is a bit I noticed. Your mannequins are great and lifelike. But their clothing is too clean and "parade ground" looking. It was vietnam, humid, hot and dirty. If I was lugging massive shells to and from a howitzer all day, every day, my uniform would be dirty and covered with powder residue, my sleeves would be rolled up, my jungle jacket unbuttoned, and I sure would not be wearing my helmet. So, my advice is to source some beat up looking jungle fats, and give your guys a little character. Use bandanas and OD towels to soak up sweat around their necks. Maybe one guy can be wearing a Charley Sheen red bandana. If they have enough leeway to have a sign like that by their piece they can dress more appropriate to the climate. Thats my 2 cents, I hope it makes sense...

1SG_1st_Cav

This picture is the first movement of a 155mm Howitzer Battery into combat by CH 54 "TARHE" helicopters nicknamed "Flying Cranes. The unit is Battery A, 1st Bn, 30th Artillery and took place in support of the 1st Air Cavalry Division's Operation MASHER/WHITE WING on 5 February 1966 and the place was LZ BRASS in the II Corps Tactical Zone [Central Highlands]. I'll post some other pictures after this one. ~ Danny

post-1691-0-43249100-1364672310.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

C Battery 1st Bn, 30th Artillery fires the first round in combat in Vietnam on 25 December 1965 near Phu Cat north of Qui Nhon Vietnam in the II CTZ [Central Highlands] Please note the Auxiliary Propulsion Unt on the left Trail. This unit provide hydraulic power to the two wheels and allowed it to move at about 2 to 3 miles per hour. Danny

post-1691-0-81603300-1364673344.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

Here are two images of the M123A1. The 1st Bn, 30th Artillery was the first complete 155mm Howitzer Bn to deploy to Vietnam in November 1965. Once the Bn went AIRMOBILE the Auxiliary Power Unit had to be taken off because its 900 weight caused the weapon to picth and yaw while in flight. Once the Auxiliary Power Units were taken off it was just a M114a1 Howitzer. The 1st Bn, 30th FA was the most highly decorated Medium Artillery Bn to serve during the Vietnam War. The Bn and its Firing Batteries earned a total of 15 Unit Awards and

13 Campaign Streamers, and fired 1,260,000 rounds of Accurate, Timely, and Deadly Airmobile Fire Power. These accolades did not come easy as our unit lost 40 Hard Chargers Killed In action and over 300 Wounded In Action. Please visit our website at WWW.HARDCHARGERS.COM.

post-1691-0-38525300-1364674811.jpg

post-1691-0-39856400-1364674823.jpg

Cannoncocker155mm

One thing I have to say, is: AMAZING. great collecting and great display. If your looking for some constructive criticism, than here is a bit I noticed. Your mannequins are great and lifelike. But their clothing is too clean and "parade ground" looking. It was vietnam, humid, hot and dirty. If I was lugging massive shells to and from a howitzer all day, every day, my uniform would be dirty and covered with powder residue, my sleeves would be rolled up, my jungle jacket unbuttoned, and I sure would not be wearing my helmet. So, my advice is to source some beat up looking jungle fats, and give your guys a little character. Use bandanas and OD towels to soak up sweat around their necks. Maybe one guy can be wearing a Charley Sheen red bandana. If they have enough leeway to have a sign like that by their piece they can dress more appropriate to the climate. Thats my 2 cents, I hope it makes sense...

Hi,

Thank you for your constructive criticism, what you have said does make sense and would add more realism to the display and is something I will look into for future displays. This is why i asked for ideas as sometimes you can try too hard to get things right and miss the obvious things such as dirty worn out uniforms etc.

Thanks again for your comments :)

Cannoncocker155mm

Here are two images of the M123A1. The 1st Bn, 30th Artillery was the first complete 155mm Howitzer Bn to deploy to Vietnam in November 1965. Once the Bn went AIRMOBILE the Auxiliary Power Unit had to be taken off because its 900 weight caused the weapon to picth and yaw while in flight. Once the Auxiliary Power Units were taken off it was just a M114a1 Howitzer. The 1st Bn, 30th FA was the most highly decorated Medium Artillery Bn to serve during the Vietnam War. The Bn and its Firing Batteries earned a total of 15 Unit Awards and

13 Campaign Streamers, and fired 1,260,000 rounds of Accurate, Timely, and Deadly Airmobile Fire Power. These accolades did not come easy as our unit lost 40 Hard Chargers Killed In action and over 300 Wounded In Action. Please visit our website at WWW.HARDCHARGERS.COM.

Thank you for the great photos and information, I've only ever seen the Auxiliary units in Manuals and not actually on a 155 How, I've also never seen that type of tyre mounted on anything belonging to the US Army, I thought the Bar grip was the only tyre ever to be used except the road going tyres for truck and Bus used during WW2.

I checked out www.HARDCHARGERS.com and it has some great information and photos, one thing I have seen a few times before and on your website is a photo showing that on the left had side of the breech is something taped to it, is it coordinates or something like that. Any ideas ??????

If you have anymore photos like that please post them or let me know as the are always good for reference

Thanks again

1SG_1st_Cav

The information on the side of the breech is safety information. Here are a couple of pictures of what a real gun crew in combat looked like.

The first two pictures of A-1-30th FA on LZ Grant in 1969. The third picture is near the beach outside Tuy Hoa, B-1-30th FA in late 1966. Danny

post-1691-0-47797600-1364692079.jpg

post-1691-0-91313200-1364692196.jpg

post-1691-0-33774000-1364692434.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

Here is picture of A-1-30th FA on LZ Wharton outside Khe Sanh to help save the Marines and lift the 77 Day siege made by two North Vietnamese Army Divisions. The second picture is titled "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM" A-1-30th FA shooting support for a dawn air assault, A-1-30th FA. Danny

post-1691-0-40002800-1364692932.jpg

post-1691-0-35740900-1364693007.jpg

Cannoncocker155mm

The information on the side of the breech is safety information. Here are a couple of pictures of what a real gun crew in combat looked like.

The first two pictures of A-1-30th FA on LZ Grant in 1969. The third picture is near the beach outside Tuy Hoa, B-1-30th FA in late 1966. Danny

Thank you for more great photographs. You can always learn a lot from pictures taken in the field, showing what was used etc.

Do you know what the safety information says and looks like, does anyone have a clear photo of it or know where I can find one ???

Thank you

1SG_1st_Cav

This picture says it all. A-1-30th FA pounding the hell out of the NVA near Khe Sanh during Operation PEGASUS on 4 April 1968 by Larry Burrows, famous photographer with LIFE Magazine.

post-1691-0-73300000-1364761098.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

This picture was published in the centerfold section of the 19 April 1968 issue of LIFE Magazine. This is another of the thousands of pictures taken in Vietnam by Larry Burrows before he was killed in Vietnam in 1971. My he RIP. Danny

post-1691-0-79211500-1364761416.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

The theater-made guidon in this picture was presented to the Battery Commander, then CPT John J. Fleming when he left command of A-1-30th FA in September of 1968. CPT Fleming earned a Bronze Star medal with "V" and two Oak Leaf Clusters during his tour in Vietnam. He later retired as a Lieutenant Colonel and we were friends from 1968 until he died in May 1997 from canacer caused by exposure to Agent Orange. Before he died he sent me the guidon and asked that it be displayed in our 30th Field Artillery regimenatl Room in Snow hall at Ft Sill, OK. After we buried him with honors at Arlington National Cemetery we framed the guidon and installed it in our Regimental Room where it still resides today. It is shown in this picture in the center large frame with the slightly discolored guidon. Keep in mind this guidon is a Combat Guidon used during the war, in the field, with the smell of gun powder still embedded in it. My John Fleming RIP. Danny

post-1691-0-10026600-1364762056.jpg