"CM" hallmark: does anyone know something about this maker?

tomcatter

Hi guys,

I saw many times this hallmark: I don't know the name of this maker.

You can find this hallmark on the back of USAF Space Operator badges.

Thank you

cmhallmark.jpg

Could be ... Classic Medallics, Inc., Long Island City, NY. Their manufacturer's code was C31.

They are known to have produced metal, distinctive type insignia. With the 3-digit code, that would place them post 1964/65 time period. Not sure if they produced anything prior to that.

Tim

Thank you Tim,

here I post large pictures of the "CM" badges, I hope it will help with identification.

USAF Space Command badge (large):

usaf1.jpg

USAF Space Command badge (mini):

usaf2f.jpg

I think the "GI" is actually Government Inspected vice issued. I know the "GI" was incorporated into hallmarks sometime in the late 1960's, so that may be another indicator.

Tim

I think the "GI" is actually Government Inspected vice issued. I know the "GI" was incorporated into hallmarks sometime in the late 1960's, so that may be another indicator.

Tim

Who say's you don't learn something new everyday.I alway's thought 'GI' was Gov't Issued not Gov't Inspected.

I think it depends on where you read it. I've seen GI = Government Inspected; Government Issue; General Inspection. All relating to military issued items. I always thought it was "issued" as well but, have been previously corrected on more than one occasion with the reasoning that "inspected" related to the goverment purchase orders or contracts that had inspection oversight.

I think as long as we know it relates to official government issued items, we're good!

Tim

Could be ... Classic Medallics, Inc., Long Island City, NY. Their manufacturer's code was C31.

They are known to have produced metal, distinctive type insignia. With the 3-digit code, that would place them post 1964/65 time period. Not sure if they produced anything prior to that.

Tim

I would guess Classic Medallics.

http://classicmedallics.openfos.com/

OK, so it's probably Classic Medallics. Thank you guys! :)