1886-1996 Specialty & Distinguishing Marks

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Back in the 1990s I used to illustrate the specialty and distinguishing marks of the United States Coast Guard, United States Coast & Geodetic Survey, United States Maritime Service, United States Navy, United States Public Health Service, and United States Revenue Cutter Service based on actual cloth items which I drew 400% to 600% larger than actual size in India ink on velumpaper; more than one tousand drawings in three years while going to college. Had other collectors step up and say they'd like to publish my manuscript, none did after I gave them a copy and nothing came of it until I got a personal computer with a scanner and taught myself how to use it and I scanned more than 100 pages to a CD disk and gave away free copies of that CD and one of the recipients was an eBay seller who with my blessings sells it so it'll get into the hands of serious collectors and researchers, I asked for nothing in return as my role is strictly to help others. I can send all of the scans here if others would like to have it available here to download and use however they wish to do so? Sell duplicate CDs if you want to, while I sell nothing, its okay as it costs to collect and collectors can certainly use whatever they can pick in in bread and butter money! I decided to show an assortment of Navy Diver Badges for starters - by the way, these are NOT photocopies of badges, they are hand-drawn, can't help it if they look a little like photos, rest assured I drew them all! ENJOY! (Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California [email protected]) thumbsup.gif

post-837-1204762959.jpg

Here is the front cover of my unpublished book - while I did not draw the rate you see, I did hand-embroider it when my eyesight was better and my fingers were nimble with a thimble, thread and needle, but I gave the rate to the Naval Historical Center at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. rather than let it fall on the market by accident, not that anyone would be fooled by my workmanship? You'd be surprised how long it takes to do needlework? Forever and a day, maybe? think.gif

post-837-1204763605.jpg

This page I did not draw nor make these patches! If you'd like to see more, please email me at [email protected] or a PM here or post a message here, thanks for letting me show you these images. :unsure:

post-837-1204764187.jpg

Great work, Sarge. Thanks for sharing!

Semper Fi.....Bob

SEMPER FI, BOB: Words of encouragement go a long ways, thanks, Bob! Page 2. :lol:

post-837-1204765910.jpg

Page 10. Not all of the sea services shared the same specialty marks, some were unique to their own branch. thumbsup.gif

post-837-1204766436.jpg

Page 17. The United States Public Health Service were the hardest to draw as those specialty marks, eagle, and chevrons are maroon on navy blue wool, almost no contrast! . :lol:

post-837-1204766846.jpg