USGI Shotgun Ammunition

ponyradish

I have an original WW1 trench gun (with a WW2 heat shield) and a repro one I use often. I also have a stack of the TMs and pubs that went with it. A few years ago I found a very good condition shotgun ammo crate that I still have:

post-68-0-78399300-1428101223.jpg

Charlie Flick

Excellent stuff, Al! I am very impressed with the breadth of your USGI shotgun ammunition collection. It really illustrates the wide variety in the types of ammunition and packaging used by US Forces in WW2.

Thanks for making the effort to share your collection with the rest of us. You have given me a whole bunch of new items to chase.

Regards,

Charlie

Excellent stuff, Al! I am very impressed with the breadth of your USGI shotgun ammunition collection. It really illustrates the wide variety in the types of ammunition and packaging used by US Forces in WW2.

Thanks for making the effort to share your collection with the rest of us. You have given me a whole bunch of new items to chase.

Regards,

Charlie

Thank you Charlie. I will try to post some more in a bit. The War Department has left me instructions for getting supper ready while she picks up the Granddaughters who are joining us for supper, so I need to get busy.

Thank you Charlie. I will try to post some more in a bit. The War Department has left me instructions for getting supper ready while she picks up the Granddaughters who are joining us for supper, so I need to get busy.

O.K., the roast is in the oven, the table has been set, the veggies are ready to be nuked later and I am making sure that the Merlot is suitable. I quit collecting these a while back, and I covet a bunch of yours. I'll probably find new homes for them in the next year or so. Thanks, Al.

O.K., the roast is in the oven, the table has been set, the veggies are ready to be nuked later and I am making sure that the Merlot is suitable. I quit collecting these a while back, and I covet a bunch of yours. I'll probably find new homes for them in the next year or so. Thanks, Al.

Got lazy and am shooting these 10 round boxes as they sit on the shelf.

Got lazy and am shooting these 10 round boxes as they sit on the shelf.

Shotshell crate. A lot of the other shotshell boxes in my collection are only different in their manufacturing Lot Numbers. Enjoy, Al.

Charlie Flick

Al:

What a marvelous USGI shotshell collection you have. I salute you!

Here are a couple of pics of the only shotshell wooden crate I own. These things are neat, but take up a lot of room so I have limited myself to this single example.

This one is somewhat different from the example shown by Everforward. It, too, is for 12 gauge No. 8 chilled shot. This crate carried Federal Cartridge Corp. ammo. It is dated 11-27-43, displays the contract number, and has a nice Ordnance Dept. insignia on the end. I suspect that the crate is very similar to the ones used to ship civilian shotshells in pre-war times.

Federal 12ga No8 shot 500 rd wood crate.jpg

Federal 12ga No8 shot 500 rd wooden crate.jpg

Regards,
Charlie

Al:

What a marvelous USGI shotshell collection you have. I salute you!

Here is are a couple of pics of the only shotshell wooden crate I own. These things are neat, but take up a lot of room so I have limited myself to this single example.

This one is somewhat different from the example shown by Everforward. It, too, is for 12 gauge No. 8 chilled shot. This crate carried Federal Cartridge Corp. ammo. It is dated 11-27-43, displays the contract number, and has a nice Ordnance Dept. insignia on the end. I suspect that the crate is very similar to the ones used to ship civilian shotshells in pre-war times.

Federal12gaNo8shot500rdwoodencrate.jpg

Federal12gaNo8shot500rdwoodcrate.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks for the compliment. That's a nice box, very similar in construction type as the civilian ones in my collection. The one that I have is definitely milspec, but #4 shot. Somewhere I heard that they used #4 shot to control pests??? Thanks, Al.

Charlie Flick

An example of what is, I think, the current issue 00 Buck ammunition in the 5 round box. This one is made by Western/Olin and dates from 1988 so would be Desert Storm era. Al/Hirsca has a similar, more recently manufactured example in the group shot at post #39.

Regards,
Charlie

12 ga 00 Buck 5rd box Olin.jpg

An example of what is, I think, the current issue 00 Buck ammunition in the 5 round box. This one is made by Western/Olin and dates from 1988 so would be Desert Storm era. Al/Hirsca has a similar, more recently manufactured example in the group shot at post #39.

Regards,

Charlie

12ga00Buck5rdboxOlin.jpg

I bought two cases of that a year ago. Green plastic hulls and darkened brass.

Charlie,

Great topic and one that's a favorite of mine. Some really interesting stuff shown so far.

First, I can help with some sources on a few of the unidentified images. I think the Remington UMC 00 buckshot box from post #2 is from Bob G in Arizona. The green Winchester box loaded with sawtooth crimped buckshot is one of mine.

In post #5, the lower two tracer boxes are also probably examples from Bob G's collection.

In post #6, the image with 3 boxes and several individual rounds of XM257 #4 buckshot is my photograph of items in the Woodin Labs collection. You are correct. Early examples of XM257 boxes are quite scarce. The two 25-rd commercial boxes with the Frankford Arsenal foil overwrappers shown are among only three I have ever seen. I recently acquired the mate to the one on the left, showing Lot # Q1260, from the U.S. Marine Corps vet who brought two boxes home from Vietnam. He was a cartridge collector before going overseas and continues to be one to this day. I really appreciate the guys who save stuff like this, whether working in the production factories or in the field as a user. Often the few examples they save are the only surviving ones of a once common item.

Here is the box inside:

Number%204%20Buckshot%20Box%20Q%201260.jpg

XM257%20early%20box.jpg

Considering the fairly short life span of the XM257, it went through a lot of changes in a few years. High base, low base, red plastic with spiral or straight black markings, OD plastic with blackened brass, etc.

The 18.5mm flechette box in post #8 is another one of mine. Also from the Woodin Labs collection, here are a couple others; a typical USMC issue Remington Model SP-12F20 flechettes and a very early experimental Olin 25-rd flechette box. The rounds in this package are identical to the XM258 Olin flechettes in the 10-rd 18.5mm marked box.

Remington%20flechette%20box.jpg

Winchester%20flechette%20box.jpg

The following photos are from a couple displays I recently did, one of Vietnam shotguns, ammuniton, and accessories for gun show, and an edited version of ammunition only for a cartridge show. The images are mixed but should show most of the more interesting items.

PICT0060.JPG

PICT0061.JPG

PICT0062.JPG

PICT1406.jpg

PICT1401.jpg

PICT0073.jpg

One more image from the display of my favorite shotgun cartridge, the Navy SEAL silent 12-ga buckshot round. I'd like to say I've seen a box of these but I have no idea what it even looked like and doubt one still exists.

PICT0076.JPG

silent%201.jpg

:drool2:

One more image from the display of my favorite shotgun cartridge, the Navy SEAL silent 12-ga buckshot round. I'd like to say I've seen a box of these but I have no idea what it even looked like and doubt one still exists.

PICT0076.JPG

>

:drool2:

hirsca