WWII Impressions Roughouts?

islandhopper

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a pair at the Fort Indiantown Gap reenactment last month. This is the first pair I ever owned from WWII Impressions. I haven't had a chance to wear them much so I can't say much about them right now. Up to this point i've been using a pair from At the Front for about 5 years. I like them and I don't have any complaints about them so far although i've heard different from other reenactors. I do like the inside detail better than the WWII Impressions.

ATF left and WWII Impressions(after dubbing) Right:

post-27172-0-32797200-1361233454.jpg

I added the original laces you can find on the ATF website.

I have owned ATF and WWII Impressions footwear. If you have the money, buy from WWII Impressions. Absolutely the best quality for your dollar. They hold up great and are very comfortable. They seem to be made of the best materials and are constructed the closest to real spec. You can't go wrong with WWII Impressions.

I have owned ATF and WWII Impressions footwear. If you have the money, buy from WWII Impressions. Absolutely the best quality for your dollar. They hold up great and are very comfortable. They seem to be made of the best materials and are constructed the closest to real spec. You can't go wrong with WWII Impressions.

I agree 100%, WWII impressions is handsdown the best repro vendor, his stuff is top notch but very expensive.

• 1 month later...

At the time I posted in this thread I started wearing my ATF roughouts to work where i'm on my feet most of the day. I figured it would be a good way to see how the held up. I know these aren't work boots but about 2 weeks into it and I could see they were steadily deteriorating. These boots were 5 years old but I can't say I really got any hard use out of them. So yes anyone wanting to get a pair of roughouts should look at the other manufacturers out there before getting these, WWII Impressions being a good choice. Thats just my opionion.

post-27172-0-54950600-1363811809.jpg

At the time I posted in this thread I started wearing my ATF roughouts to work where i'm on my feet most of the day. I figured it would be a good way to see how the held up. I know these aren't work boots but about 2 weeks into it and I could see they were steadily deteriorating. These boots were 5 years old but I can't say I really got any hard use out of them. So yes anyone wanting to get a pair of roughouts should look at the other manufacturers out there before getting these, WWII Impressions being a good choice. Thats just my opionion.

I had a pair of their low quarters of the same approximate ate (5 years ago, that is). Wore them every day for around 3 months. Soles did the same thing - separated from the rest of the boot. For footwear, I generally go with WWII Impressions.

A own a few original boots that have fallen apart in the same spot.

I believe it's mostly due to the design of the boot although after three months isn't too great.

Leonardo

post-27172-0-54950600-1363811809.jpg

I've seen many pairs of ATF roughouts and double buckles falling apart in the same way. I have never seen a pair of WWII impressions boots with that type of deterioration. I've owned a pair WWII Impressions roughouts and double buckles for about 4 years. They have seen many miles of use but are still as strong as new. I definitely got my money's worth. Now with all the wear they have they are nearly indistinguishable from originals.

I've seen many pairs of ATF roughouts and double buckles falling apart in the same way. I have never seen a pair of WWII impressions boots with that type of deterioration. I've owned a pair WWII Impressions roughouts and double buckles for about 4 years. They have seen many miles of use but are still as strong as new. I definitely got my money's worth. Now with all the wear they have they are nearly indistinguishable from originals.

This is correct. I ended up going with WWII Imp, and they are still holding up strong. I don't know whether or not ATF has otherwise improved their GI boots; it's entirely possible.

I own a pair of SM wholesale roughouts boots they are nice pair bit.o think they were made in Mexico I'm not sure but anyways I use them for hunting in the woods the grip is good but not in mud .

• 1 month later...
americankraut

I own both WWII Imp and ATF. I will never buy ATF boots again mine came apart the first reenactment I used them in and they would not offer a refund. I did not even abuse them, only used in one public tactical!

My WWII impression rough outs have lasted me two seasons and that includes a lot of everyday wear and hiking. They are the best choice by far and are cheaper in the long run since they last a lot longer.

I give them a new shine at the beginning and end of every season and it seems to keep them well maintained.

-Ben

Just to revive this thread. Ive had ATF boots for years. My Combat boots have been to the Ardennes year after year on the commemorative marches and Ive had no problems at all. My ATF roughouts Ive had for years as well and have been in the sea off Omaha and are still doing great. My service shoes for ATF have not been used too much so can not comment. My WWII Impressions Boondockers havent been used much so again cant comment. These two manufactures do seem to better than the reports I hear about other boots made in the far east.

Regardless, all boots should come with a guarantee, just like the ones you buy at your local store, if theyre faulty then you deserve a refund.

The Buzz Rickson kit doesnt impress me, theyre M42 jackets do not justify the price, the upper pockets are not angled enough in my opinion and therefor dont look right.

Price and corresponding quality mean everything. Im very happy with my ATF boots, and very happy with my WWII Imp boots. But for $100 a pair can you expect any more? If they were $400 a pair I'd expect them to last 30 years with the soles being replaced every once in a while. But for boots that are used 5 times a year...

Everyone has a bad experience with a different seller, your never going to get a product thats 100% for every customer. As long as theyre custom service is good and the problem can be resolved then there shouldnt be a problem

Ive not had a problem with either companies kit. Quality divided by cost ratio probably evens out between the two.

Just my 2 cents....

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my WWII Imp. Roughouts since 2004. I have used them extensively at reenactments and in all types of environs: dirt, mud, snow, rain, beach, street and cobblestone roads. They're durable and still comfortable. The most wear I had on them was that the heel started to separate from the upper in 2011, chiefly because the nails had rusted from multiple saltwater exposures. A $15 cobbler repair solved that and I'm still wearing them to this day. By far the best investment I've made in reenacting. All I've ever done with them is dubbed them occasionally with original issued dubbing.

I have since bought Service Shoes from the same vendor after owning a pair from another and suffering for it. I saddle soaped my new pair, carefully as to not not strip the finish, and polished them right up. They look so sharp, I'm apprehensive of wearing them into the field! I wear them for garrison events as well as personal use with modern clothing.

I will not bother with any other vendors when it comes to shoes and boots. WWII Impressions has proven to me that their footwear is quality and will last.

Saw WWII Impressions at the West Coast show and I was very impressed by their boots when I handled them in person. I'd love to own a pair but I cannot justify the cost right now.

• 2 months later...
1st.marine.captain.17

Here's the problem with ATF boots. Excuse me that I'm not a professional shoe maker whatever so, but rather a humble amateur putting his words up.

ATF boots were made overseas, whereabouts, I would suppose quality control isn't great. In addition, I recently got a chance to even touch the ATF boots from a friend. He told me how disappointed of him towards it, and all I told him was, "Bring it to my inspection".

I examine the stitching and all that, and I was kinda surprise to see how the Goodyear welt construction that was top rated seems to be very poorly done. The stitches were barely secured, especially at the welt, where the sole and shaft joined. It was then a common sense to put a lot more grease in these areas than other, but with all these loose stitching grease seems to prone them more to loose the threads and in worst case of the scenarios, rot the thread used.

I had a chance as well to inspect one of my nephew's WWII Impressions "boon dockers" whereabouts upon inspection, I was far more than surprise. True to what people said, the constructions are way too good in comparison to so much others. The stitches on the welt were so tight, I suppose it takes TNTs to break them open! Even when I tried with my best effort to really tear it open, nothing happen! It stays the same way it came. Let alone the fact that my nephew's boots had seen more hell than any good, were treated with numerous kinds of greases and had been used for 7 years plus.

I'm not a tail swifter, so please, take it seriously. It's purely true observations and report.

• 4 months later...

Well, I have the WW2 Impressions M43 and USMC roughouts. I find the quality of their uniforms to be excellent, but I have little use for the boots. The Marine Roughouts are flimsy compard to orginals, I have never worn them. They just set on the shelf, the toe is no different than the army service shoes...I kinda wonder if they didnt send the wrong ones by mistake? either way, I would not recommend them. Its a simple design and its a shame NO one can make a pair of boots that are like the plain old rough outs. Specially for $150.00 they failed. The M43's are just the same boot with a leather cuff sewn on. As I said, clothing, outstanding...boots, very disappointed.