*** Greatest Generation *** WWII Named Photograph Archive

General Apathy

• 3 weeks later...

I know this one is a bit prior to WWII but I am sure he was in it all the same. Fred and Allie Taylor of Birdsey, In. 1936. Photo taken in a Louisville, Ky. studio.

Mike

post-1387-0-99276300-1362717601.jpg

Coconut Harry

Yes my father-in-law was a true soldier he retired in 74 and died in a boating accident while fishing about a year later. He had planned to adopt the korean boy but the process fell through. I hope the lad ended up living in the south.

Thanks for the kind words about my father.

Terry

Hi Terry, you're welcome for my words for your father.... sorry for my slow reply. I also send now my belated condolences about your father-in-law.... life's roads take some strange twists and turns. To have been a warrior surviving 3 wars, then to be killed in a boating accident...well, I can say, and not sure if this proper, but maybe & hopefully it was some comfort to you & your family knowing that at least he left this world doing something I'm fairly sure he enjoyed greatly...I hope he caught a few on his last day of fishing...but even if he didn't, surely he was enjoying just being out on the water with a rod 'n reel.

All the many times I've been out fishing on my now long gone boat, even when I had nary a nibble, just being out on the boat is a stress relief.....Even the worst day fishing is better than the best day at work as they say.......

And to now know he wanted to adopt the little Korean cowboy sheds light on another side of him. Not only truly a man of service & honor, but also a man of kindness with a good heart. It's too bad the adoption fell through, I also hope the boy ended up living in the South & had a good life the last 60 or so years.. If you know his name and he's still living, it would be nice if you could find & contact him. With these days of the internet & computers it could be fairly easy to do.

Regards, Steve

Hi Coconut Harry, thanks for adding the photo of Rin - Tin - Tin, I am pleased to say that in my collection I have one of these dog gasmasks in it's original cardboard carton and with it's carrying bag. :D;)

thanks ken

HaHa! :D Hello Ken.... I'm glad you've approved of Rin-Tin-Tin's inclusion to the thread...certainly he deserves his place here.

You really have a rare piece of WW2 gear...those M6 doggy gasmasks are quite rare to find just by themselves, let alone the original carton and carry bag!! Very Nice item!

Hi Coconut Harry, thank you for adding the photograph of your grandfather Capt. Carl Ruby, and his very interesting service details.

I hope the attached photograph is of help in identifying the model of tank that he is sat upon, it appears to be a riveted hull M-3 ' Lee ' tank, compare the riveting, hatches, sloping armor and other details of the two photo's.

thanks ken

Thanks Ken, Your absolutely correct. I actually knew it was a Lee tank, but my brain's memory bank sometimes fails me...I've now written Lee tank on the backs of the photos....

Regards, Steve

General Apathy

Thanks Ken, Your absolutely correct. I actually knew it was a Lee tank, but my brain's memory bank sometimes fails me...I've now written Lee tank on the backs of the photos....

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply, no need to mention memory bank failures, it appears recently that I am continously having brain-farts when posting reports in my Normandy blog on the forum, mainly through rushing things when I am trying to post.

But thanks once again for adding your family photographs to this topic. ^_^;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-27662900-1363454454.jpg

post-344-0-49454600-1363454470.jpg

USN Utah Beach 1944 .......................

I picked this phtoto up locally, I would think that it was given to someone here on the veterans visit sometime in the last few years.

On the rear the name is a little hard to read mainly the first name, the second name is L'coste the first could be Raymond so maybe Raymond L'Coste it mentions the bunker at the Le Roosevelt cafe on Utah beach. There is a solid German concrete bunker at the rear of the cafe that the US Navy took over as a communications centre, and there was also a temporary USN sandbag ' bunker ' maybe eighty yards in front of the cafe facing out to sea for signalling purposes.

the sandbag bunker I have featured before in my Normandy ' Then & Now ' reports

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-96338900-1363454909.jpg

post-344-0-91574100-1363454931.jpg

On the rear of the Raymond L'Coste it mentions the bunker at the Le Roosevelt cafe on Utah beach. There is a solid German concrete bunker at the rear of the cafe that the US Navy took over as a communications centre, the photos above show this bunker ' Then & Now '

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-77205300-1363535670.jpg

post-344-0-39122400-1363535691.jpg

Raymond L'Coste mentions the bunker at the Le Roosevelt cafe on Utah beach. There is a solid German concrete bunker at the rear of the cafe that the US Navy took over as a communications centre, and there was also a temporary USN sandbag ' bunker ' maybe eighty yards in front of the cafe facing out to sea for signalling purposes.

Here are ' then & now ' photographs of the USN sandbag bunker the only identification of the location is the chimney seen on the extreme right of the photo, sadly a great deal of the original concrete sea wall has been destroyed by bad weather and high tides.

ken

• 2 weeks later...

post-70300-0-28661300-1361038892.jpgLt. Cecil Fuquay of the 359th Regt/90th INF Div.

Update on photo: I discovered that this was a earlier photo of 2nd Lt.Cecil O. Fuquay of West Palm Beach,FL and that he went on to be with the 501st PIR/101st Abn Div and was killed in Holland. post-70300-0-19811100-1364691701.jpg

post-70300-0-39439600-1364692911.jpg

Update on photo: I discovered that this was a earlier photo of 2nd Lt.Cecil O. Fuquay of West Palm Beach,FL and that he went on to be with the 501st PIR/101st Abn Div and was killed in Holland. post-70300-0-19811100-1364691701.jpg

• 2 years later...

Not much action here lately, so here's you go. Lets get some more pictures up!

This is my Dad, 21 year-old Corporal Dan Fusillo, 106th Regiment, 27th Infantry Division. This photo was taken on Okinawa probably sometime in May 1945. This was after his unit was pulled out of the front-line meat grinder battles for Shuri Castle. They were sent up to the northern part of the island for mopping up operations. It was against regulations, but Dad smuggled a camera with him. Unfortunately, only about 15 pictures ever got home. Dad had a lot of choice words about rear echelon mail censors.

post-2687-0-95785200-1457544665.jpg