*** Greatest Generation *** WWII Named Photograph Archive

General Apathy

General Apathy

Boleslaw Kulak BM Cox 2, United States Coast Guard,

Hi pauly, great, an unusual un-posed shot of BM Cox 2. Kulak, it appears he could have been captured by a street cameraman earning a buck off passing servicemen.

thanks ken

Hi pauly, great, an unusual un-posed shot of BM Cox 2. Kulak, it appears he could have been captured by a street cameraman earning a buck off passing servicemen.

thanks ken

Not 100% on the rate, but is looks like it to me, i guess.

This is a scan on an original photo I have of my Great Uncle John D. Heagney, Jr. He was killed on September 23, 1944. He was assigned to the 551st Fighter Squadron, 495th FG, 8th Air Force.

Um3RmSx.jpg

General Apathy

This is a scan on an original photo I have of my Great Uncle John D. Heagney, Jr. He was killed on September 23, 1944. He was assigned to the 551st Fighter Squadron, 495th FG, 8th Air Force.

Hi Sandlapper, thanks for the photo of your Great Uncle John D. Heagney, Jr, a striking pose.

thanks ken

General Apathy

Airmen of the 401st BS / 91st BG, 8th AF, England, '44.

Hi Ian, nice group shot, I can't quite work out his first name, the surname looks like Caggarell or Capparell.

thanks ken

General Apathy

Another Hoosier vet, Betty Conrad

Hi Erick, thanks for bringing our first femail Betty Conrad into the archive.

thanks ken

I think it reads "Capparell" Ken. Interesting to see it marked "Censored!" Possibly a joke? Re the squadron patch, it depicts the cartoon characters "Hairless Joe" and "Lonesome Polecat" who would have been well familiar to GIs of the period.

hi all do any of the photos posted here have to be id'd or have a signature ??? i have quite a few original photo's but not all have names attached to them regards carl

General Apathy

I think it reads "Capparell" Ken. Interesting to see it marked "Censored!" Possibly a joke? Re the squadron patch, it depicts the cartoon characters "Hairless Joe" and "Lonesome Polecat" who would have been well familiar to GIs of the period.

Hi Ian, it looked more likely to read Capparell pity the first name doesn't appear too clear either.

Side-tracking for a moment two of my biggest bugbears in life are illegable signatures and email or website addresses given out at four times the speed of the rest of the conversation, yes we easily know our own email or wed addresses but for someone listening to them for the first time it's crucial addresses should be given to them slower.

thanks ken

General Apathy

hi all do any of the photos posted here have to be id'd or have a signature ??? i have quite a few original photo's but not all have names attached to them regards carl

Hi Carl, welcome to the topic, and thank you for your politeness in asking, as there are many nameless photo's already on the forum it was my original intention to gather together in one topic any named photographs, so it was easily searchable rather than they be added as single photo's here and there throughout the forum.

I would like to think of the topic continuing with named personnel if possible, and would be happy for you to add any ones you have. Maybe if you wanted to start a separate topic with all un-named photographs again attracting an easily searchable number of like photo's.

I did suggest earlier in the topic that maybe other members could start a named Viet-Nam archive, Korean war, or Gulf war archives.

thanks ken

HI KEN THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY IM JUST GOING THROUGH SOME PHOTO'S NOW TO SEE WHICH ONES ARE SIGNED SOI COULD POST SOME FOR ALL TO SEE !! I LOVE THIS SIDE OF THE COLLECTING !! I HAD SO MUCH ENJOYMENT IN GOING THROUGH THESE PHOTO'S WHEN I INHERITED THIS COLLECTION FROM MY LATE UNCLE

I HAVE A PHOTO OF IRA C EAKER WHICH IS SIGNED BY HIMSELF AND A SHORT MESSAGE TO MY UNCLE IF THAT WOULD BE OK TO POST ??? REGARDS CARL

Hi Ian, it looked more likely to read Capparell pity the first name doesn't appear too clear either.

Side-tracking for a moment two of my biggest bugbears in life are illegable signatures and email or website addresses given out at four times the speed of the rest of the conversation, yes we easily know our own email or wed addresses but for someone listening to them for the first time it's crucial addresses should be given to them slower.

thanks ken

"Thomas J. Capparell" I believe Ken? Wonder which one he is....the little guy in the middle maybe?! :)

General Apathy

HI KEN THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY IM JUST GOING THROUGH SOME PHOTO'S NOW TO SEE WHICH ONES ARE SIGNED SOI COULD POST SOME FOR ALL TO SEE !! I LOVE THIS SIDE OF THE COLLECTING !! I HAD SO MUCH ENJOYMENT IN GOING THROUGH THESE PHOTO'S WHEN I INHERITED THIS COLLECTION FROM MY LATE UNCLE

I HAVE A PHOTO OF IRA C EAKER WHICH IS SIGNED BY HIMSELF AND A SHORT MESSAGE TO MY UNCLE IF THAT WOULD BE OK TO POST ??? REGARDS CARL

Hi Carl, it will be a pleasure to see anything you have, either named or signed. :)

thanks ken

THE PHOTO IS OF ENS GEORGE GAY OF TORPEDO SQUADRON 8 THE BOOK IS SIGNED TO MY UNCLE "BEST OF LUCK THAT I HAD AT MIDWAY"

IS THIS THE SORT OF THING YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ON THIS POST

post-106122-0-71194000-1360078691.jpg

General Apathy

I HADNT REALISED I HAD THE LAST PHOTO !! MY MISSUS POINTED IT OUT TO ME !! LOL

Hi Carl, yes that's what we are looking for faces with names attached to them as so many photographs are un-named, even today we are guilty of not naming images, fine while we are alive but a loss once passed on down the line.

thanks for the three you have posted so far ;)

ken

not a problem Ken !! there are a few more that i shall get posted soon but im loaded with the flu at the moment!! im glad you likedthe pics ive posted !! its a pleasure to show them off !! i have one of the b29 "boscar" crew as well !! but unfortunateley i have a few with only nicknames and unsigned which is a shame !!

Hi Sandlapper, thanks for the photo of your Great Uncle John D. Heagney, Jr, a striking pose.

thanks ken

thanks for your kind words Ken.

More to keep the thread on the move.

Lt. Richard Bender, 447th BG Co-pilot. POW April 1944

Lt Robert Slyder, Bombardier the Fry Crew, 454th BG, POW February 1945

Sgt. Russ Mars, tail gunner on the Fry Crew, 454th BG in the mud at San Giovanni, Italy. POW February 1945

post-22-0-01562400-1400965586.jpg

post-22-0-09202200-1400965588.jpg

post-22-0-28350100-1400965590.jpg

Lt. Bob Jensen, Radar Navigator on the Fry Crew, 454th BG. POW February 1945

F/O Jon Shepard, Navigator on the Fry Crew, 454th BG. KIA February 14, 1945

Sgt. Earle Kulhanek, waist gunner on the Fry Crew, KIA February 14, 1945

post-22-0-85082700-1400965646.jpg

post-22-0-67969400-1400965648.jpg

post-22-0-77780500-1400965650.jpg