*** Greatest Generation *** WWII Named Photograph Archive

General Apathy

Lt. Oliver Berg, 428th FS, 474th FG. KIA in a P-38 January 1945

P/O Jimmy Rumbel, a Yank in the RAF, KIA in 1943 flying a Beaufighter over Norway

post-22-0-18474900-1400964829.jpg

post-22-0-97076300-1400964830.jpg

General Apathy

It appears we're stalled. A couple more for the cause.

Lt. Ashley Guynn 447th BG B17 pilot and his wife. He was KIA in April 1944

Captain Richard Fry, 454th BG B24 pilot. He was KIA February 14, 1945. His co-pilot, also killed was Alvin Brody who I posted already.

Hi 38driver, well let's hope that we have not stalled yet, I am pleased to see that you think it's a worthwhile topic and posted a couple more. ;)

thanks, ken

This thread definitely has potential "legs"...once word gets out there! So far, aviation subjects are dominating....but where are the Army, Navy and USMC photographs? Come on fellers...dig those albums out!! ;)

General Apathy

"Somewhere in England, Winter 43-44" L to R: A. d'Amato...B.Higgins...J. Levine...G. O'Reilly.

Hi Ian, thanks for posting a couple more, I love the mackinaw jacket with the blanket lining, I know I have related this story before in my Normandy reports posts, but I will add it again here for this topic.

Back in the late 70's I was driving along and saw someone attempting to hitch a lift going in the opposite direction, the fact that he was wearing a blanket lined mackinaw had me slip a U turn and pull up alongside him and declare that I couldn't offer him a lift but would he like to sell me the mackinaw.

An American had given the mackinaw to his mother during the war as she picked potato's during the winter alonside the airfield. We did a deal and later when I inspected the inside lining the following details had been written in the armpit :- N.A. Donais, APO 140, 31126387, 554 BS, Sta.164.

Station 164 is Great Dunmow, and they flew B-26 Maruders.

ken

General Apathy

Lt. Oliver Berg, 428th FS, 474th FG. KIA in a P-38 January 1945

P/O Jimmy Rumbel, a Yank in the RAF, KIA in 1943 flying a Beaufighter over Norway

Hi 38driver, thanks for two more , pleased to see whatever you have.

ken

BTW, P/O Jimmy Rumbel, as above, is serving with the RCAF, and not the RAF. ;)

Yeah yeah, I know :)

No one ever says "Yank in the RCAF" however :)

He was with 404 Squadron RCAF. I found some family of his and ended up getting his records from the Canadian Archives. The photo turned up in them

Major Harold Fry. He is the big brother of Richard Fry who I already posted. Richard spent his time in the PTO with the 150th Infantry Combat Team 'Bushmasters". He saw some heavy combat in the two years + he was there. He never really got over losing his little brother. He always felt that as the big brother it should have been him.

post-22-0-15385000-1400964868.jpg

Sgt. Bob Haws, gunner on the Richard Fry B-24. He's the only one of the crew still living. 7 were KIA and 5 POW. In the background is Sgt. Earle Kulhanek, on of 8 kids from Nebraska. He was the youngest on the crew at 18. He was unable to bail out and died in the crash of the B-24. The Fry Crew is "my' crew as I've spent much time researching them since the early 1990s. Getting to know the 3 survivors when I first got going as well as a number of families of the other crewmen was a very special thing

post-22-0-26236800-1400964897.jpg

Unusual for an infantry officer to wear his visor hat "crusher style".

He was an unusual guy. He lead a batch of M7 Priests in direct fire support of infantry up close and personal. It wasn't something that had been tried before. They were apparently very successful doing it according to Harold. I haven't talked to him in a long time, and I fear he may have passed away. He had his dress uniform ready for that day as he planned to be buried in it. His wartime experience never really let him go. When I showed up asking about his brother, it seemed to open a door to stuff he hadn't felt or talked about before, so it became a very gratifying experience to think it might have helped.

General Apathy

post-344-0-11642000-1359582388.jpg

post-344-0-23282600-1359582413.jpg

Yeah yeah, I know :)

No one ever says "Yank in the RCAF" however :)

He was with 404 Squadron RCAF. I found some family of his and ended up getting his records from the Canadian Archives. The photo turned up in them

Hi 38Driver, here's my ' Yank in the RAF ' Flight Officer Robert J Sarvis ' he was the pilot of an RAF Lancaster who died here in Normandy behind the Utah beaches and is buried in the American cemetery at Laurent sur Mer ( Omaha beach ), I place flowers on his grave each year, the flag and poppies I did in February 2011.

Note Sarvis is seen at the front of the photograph wearing US uniform and the crew behind are in RAF blue serge uniform, his order for all the crew to evacuate the aircraft saved their lives before the plane crashed into the field.

I sent detail to the state university of Tennessee informing them of the crash site and his place of burial as they had him listed as lost over the English channel, for the last two years

members of the university faculty and students now visit the crash site on their European travel.

ken

Hmmm, it appears we need to get some folks helping out here. Just to keep the ball rolling.

Lt. Earl "Dutch" Miller, 345th FS, 350th FG in front of one of the squadron's pair of P-38s that were used to chase high alt Ju-88s in the MTO. Their regular mounts, P-39 Airacobra's were not up to the job at high alt. At last check Earl was still with us too. He flew combat in Vietnam in A1 Skyraiders as an adviser to the South Vietnamese.

post-22-0-32050400-1400964945.jpg

SUGGESTION Instead of posting your individual portraits in the "Ephemera & Photographs" section, why not consider posting them in this thread instead?

General Apathy

SUGGESTION Instead of posting your individual portraits in the "Ephemera & Photographs" section, why not consider posting them in this thread instead?

New archive suggestions ......................

Hi Ian, well I started this one off as a WWII photographic archive, it would be good if other members kicked in and started off, World War One, Korean war, Viet-Nam and Gulf war archives

Come on forum members step up to the plate and get some of these other archives going, Viet-Nam and Gulf war should be easier options as many members served in both of these conflicts

ken

Some years ago I bought a set of HBT coveralls. In the breast pocket was a couple of pictures of a gentleman wearing them in the PTO. Nothing to ID who he was. Come on members. Post some more. Robett

General Apathy

Corp Henry Henkell 1st battalion 5th marines 1st marine division Cape Gloucester wia on Peleliu

Hi Mes, welcome aboard the archive here and adding the two sailors and the Marine, look forward to more if you have some. ;)

ken