NORMANDY DUG UP GROUPING (HILL 108 ST-LO)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Thanks Paul and John.

I add this picture of the new addition in the collection. This dog tag was found a few months ago at St Renan, North of Brest, by a collector friend of mine. Needless to say I've been looking to it for a long time and today we finaly made a trade so the tag is home. Other stuff displayed around are for the exhibit. most are related to 29th division, except the religious medal and PH ribbon.

according to MR, 1st Lt Robert H. Roser landed as 2nd Lt , HQco 1/175th. he was later transferred to B co as Platoon leader. WIA July 17th near St Lô, returning to unit in August during the battle for Vire. At Brest he was promoted Commanding Officer on sept 1st, but was badly wounded the same day. the 1/175 was then fighting for Hill 103 at Plouzane. Lt Roser never returned to duty. Hope I'll be able to find a period photo of him.!

Robert H. Roser passed away in 2000 at age 80. This post to honor his memory!

otn1nk.jpg

Yannick

My son found this post and let me know about it. I am Robert H Roser, Jr, son of Robert H Roser. I have posted a photo from a 29th Division reunion. A photo as a corporal around 1939 in the 26th Rgt/1st Division; a picture with my mother Easter 1942 before his commission and shipping overseas. He went to OCS in early 1942 and was then assigned to the 29th Division. There is a picture of him in the book 29 Let's Go with a group of officers at St Ives in Cornwall from the 1st Bn, 175th Regiment. He was wounded at St Lo (shot in the hand while reading a comic book). He was wounded at Brest with shrapnel in his chest 31 Aug and did not go to the aid station as he knew he was due to attack the next day (1 Sept 1944). His wound on that day was from a short American mortar round. The shrapnel went through his right cheek and out his left ear (which he always turned towards my mother). He said he was found by a French priest who did a trachiotomy; he had a scar on his windpipe from this. He spent two years in various hospitals and rehab retiring from the army in late 1946 around the time I was born. He told the story that while landing on D+1 the man next to him was killed and all he could think of was that the man owed him $10. He killed a German in St Lo close up with a rifle launched grenade and a Frenchman by accident who popped through a hedgerow. This always bothered him very much. He died on Dec 1 2000 and was suffering from dementia at the time. I served 27 years in the USAF. Dad always said the only time he saw US aircraft in action is when they were strafing him. I also have three brothers: Steven, Lawrence and Bruce who all live in Texas. I live in Stafford, VA. Thank you for honoring his memory. He is buried at Ft Sam Houston.

post-164168-0-99032600-1478965708_thumb.jpgpost-164168-0-02185300-1478967825_thumb.jpgpost-164168-0-53969500-1478967835_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yannick,

Hello. It's Paul and we haven't corresponded in a while.

My daughter is going to do a semester in Paris and we are going to visit her in April 2017. Do you have any recommendations for a reputable Normandy tour company that may be willing to swing by Hill 108?

Yannick,

Hello. It's Paul and we haven't corresponded in a while.

My daughter is going to do a semester in Paris and we are going to visit her in April 2017. Do you have any recommendations for a reputable Normandy tour company that may be willing to swing by Hill 108?

Yannick

Did you see my post about my father (Robert H Roser) and his service to add to the information you had?

Was St Renan an aid station for the wounded? I was wondering why the dog tag was found there. One of my favorite Bretonne singers Nolwenn LeRoi is from there.

Where is the dog tag now? Needless to say, I would be interested in buying it.

Thanks

Bob Roser

• 2 months later...

Thanks Paul and John.

I add this picture of the new addition in the collection. This dog tag was found a few months ago at St Renan, North of Brest, by a collector friend of mine. Needless to say I've been looking to it for a long time and today we finaly made a trade so the tag is home. Other stuff displayed around are for the exhibit. most are related to 29th division, except the religious medal and PH ribbon.

according to MR, 1st Lt Robert H. Roser landed as 2nd Lt , HQco 1/175th. he was later transferred to B co as Platoon leader. WIA July 17th near St Lô, returning to unit in August during the battle for Vire. At Brest he was promoted Commanding Officer on sept 1st, but was badly wounded the same day. the 1/175 was then fighting for Hill 103 at Plouzane. Lt Roser never returned to duty. Hope I'll be able to find a period photo of him.!

Robert H. Roser passed away in 2000 at age 80. This post to honor his memory!

otn1nk.jpg

Yannick

I have been trying to get in touch with you. I posted the photos you requested of my father 1Lt Robert H. Roser. email: roscym@comcast.net. v/r Robert H Roser, Jr.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

First let me say the work and information you guys have researched is incredible. I don't see any recent post, so Im not sure if this group is current. The reason I am here is because I have always looked for information on my uncle that was in the 29th. I came across a post by Croix de Guerre in reference to S Sgt Harry D Pearman from Baltimore MD. Harry D Pearman is my uncle.I then seen items that were found of my Uncles which was sorta heart pounding. In addition Yannick, and Tom posted and researched also. I have the story I always heard from my grandmother, and some of the info you posted sorta matches her accounts. Also I do have a picture of S Sgt Harry D Pearman, and his whole platoon picture with their mascot that was killed also. If someone could get back to me so I know this forum is current, I would appreciate it.

Thank You for all the work you all have done.

Dawn

PROUD Niece of S Sgt Harry D Pearman

US ARMY , WW II

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I can't help. You should find the Morning Reports for the 29th Division which you can find on the internet. This will have a lot of information. I'm still waiting for Yannick to answer me but for some reason he refuses to.

He prb isn't answering because he hasn't been on since Nov2 2016

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I saw your post. My uncle, part of 175th co c. fought was killed on hill 108 on June 17th via a bullet to the head and knew Bob Doyle. Bob must have not known or forgotten. Did you find any other artifacts?

• 6 months later...