NORMANDY DUG UP GROUPING (HILL 108 ST-LO)

A few more shots

nxv0xf.jpg

14kdydx.jpg

eb6hwo.jpg

10ofyb5.jpg

24xfner.jpg

Yannick ;)

Hi Yannic, NICE stuff, looks as if they could be the real deal. I showed my dad the pics off this thread Thanksgiving day and he was just amazed that the stuff you found. Great stuff as usual.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trebah Beach, Cornwall. Photo from "Spearheading D Day", H&C publisher, Jonathan Gawne.

175th soldiers walking to the embarking area, short before D Day. Two of the GI's at left are carrying their M1's in waterproof bags. On the photo, the bags look dark as the ones we found on Hill 108. (We found there both models).

rthth0.jpg

Same place today. My friend Simon Smith, another 29th buff who lives in Cornwall, found the spot and drove me there a few years ago. Being there was a great experience to me!

ih0bio.jpg

Rifle protective cover, First one (no markings)

j7gu82.jpg

A few minutes later, discovery of a second one

1onncx.jpg

28tdmpk.jpg

qq7n79.jpg

NB: The protective rifle cover I show with the manequin is not a real one... I am still looking for an original... Not dug up!

AND: Happy thanksgiving to all!!

Yannick

In memory of S/Sgt Sherwood H. Hallman (PA) F co, 175th Rgt, 29th division, BSM, PH w/olc (wounded in action june 8th in Normandy), MEDAL OF HONOR for action at Ilioc farm, Plouzané Sept 11 1944, KIA near Fort Keranroux, Brest Sept 14 1944. His son Sherwood Hallman II wearing the Medal. All my love to my adoptive family in Pennsylvania USA and to all my veteran friends.
You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Superbe mannequin ... great display, Yannick :thumbsup:

Collecting USMC AEF 1917-18 & PTO 1941-45, US Navy PTO 1941-45.

Most seeked items : USMC dog tags from 1915 to 1945, USN corpsman dog tags and other identified items, USN id'd M1 helmets.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Yes, he is reincarnated, but he used to be an Ogre.

:lol:

And I've a photo somewhere in the shop...

In memory of S/Sgt Sherwood H. Hallman (PA) F co, 175th Rgt, 29th division, BSM, PH w/olc (wounded in action june 8th in Normandy), MEDAL OF HONOR for action at Ilioc farm, Plouzané Sept 11 1944, KIA near Fort Keranroux, Brest Sept 14 1944. His son Sherwood Hallman II wearing the Medal. All my love to my adoptive family in Pennsylvania USA and to all my veteran friends.
You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

So Yannick, When does the book come out? :think: I'd love to see it all down with copies of your research maps, bios on the soldiers you've researched, before and after photos, etc. I think it would amazing! I know there are probably a lot of Americans that would pay good money for a metal detecting vacation with you and your freinds. Perhaps that may be a good source of income for you to finance your hobby? Thanks again for all your hard work and for taking the time to share this with us.

Tom

WANTED TO BUY OR TRADE - AMERICAN FIELD SERVICE, NORTON-HARJES AMBULANCE CORPS, AMERICAN RED CROSS IN ITALY, CZECH AND POLISH LEGIONS AND ANY ARTIFACTS ASSOCIATED WITH AMERICANS THAT SERVED IN FOREIGN ARMIES IN WORLD WAR ONE

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

ecSXx.jpg

"Je meurs content, puisque nous sommes victorieux! Vive la France!

So Yannick, When does the book come out? :think: I'd love to see it all down with copies of your research maps, bios on the soldiers you've researched, before and after photos, etc. I think it would amazing! I know there are probably a lot of Americans that would pay good money for a metal detecting vacation with you and your freinds. Perhaps that may be a good source of income for you to finance your hobby? Thanks again for all your hard work and for taking the time to share this with us.

Tom

Thats right...I for one would love to trace my dads steps. Dad is getting a little too old for the trip (his words not mine) I would love to send him with you. You do have a great sorce of income to be made here to finance your hobby though. :think:

Yannick , Somewhere i still have an original rifle cover with date on it. I will try to find it and take pictures, if its positive we will work something out.

Robin

" You can manufacture weapons and you can purchase ammunition,

But you can't buy valor and you can't pull heroes off an assembly line ".

-Sergeant John B. Ellery-

U.S. 1st Infantry Division

Hang Tough my friend!

• 2 months later...

INCREDIBLE THREAD!!!! Thank you so much for sharing, Yannick. As a young man, I had the privilege of living in Belgium for two years. I was only 11 or 12 years old at the time, but as a member of the Boy Scouts, I made several trips to battlefields and military cemeteries. I vividly remember camping in a farmer's field near Bastogne, and discovering that it was the same field in which some 101st members encamped during the Battle of the Bulge. I'll never forget such things.

I went back to Bastogne a couple of years ago while I was in Germany on a military trip. I had a free weekend, so I met up with a friend who was living near Ramstein, and we drove through Belgium and visited the memorial in Bastogne, as I had done several times in my youth. When we left, we drove through the country, and quite by accident we discovered the Bois Jacques. We parked and walked into the woods and were met by two Dutchmen with metal detectors who showed us some of their treasures. They said that before Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, etc... the woods were littered with relics; now, anything left is much smaller, and usually buried. I wished I'd had a metal detector with me then!

Thanks again, Yannick. I'll just have to live vicariously through you!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who posted here! Glad to read your nice comments and glad you enjoyed this long thread ;)

I did not come to Normandy for battlefield researches for a long time but am still working on the findings we did over the years... With new identification!! And I have to thank 29th Historian Jo Balkoski about it! Recommended for any 29er's buff.

Yannick

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

Yes, he is reincarnated, but he used to be an Ogre.

Finally found the photo...

w7bk9i.jpg

;)

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

• 1 year later...

brucem,

I dug out the letter that mentions Robert Silvick.

This is an excerpt from a letter by Howard D. Morris to a relative of mine in August 1946. I included the text I previously post for continuity.

"...You said did Frank say anything before he died. I'm sorry I can't tell you that because I was too busy. I talked to him only a few minutets before he was shot. He looked around and said, 'Jeepers Cats, Morris.' We both had long whiskers and were dirty. The Nazi were coming in on all sides, so it was rough. I smiled at him to try and make him feel better. He looked at me and said, 'You think this is funny, don't you?' I turned around to shoot and he walked off. I saw him two or three minutes later and T-Sgt Arthur P. Crisp of Baltimore and Sgt. William Sibley were carrying him. He was shot in the leg. Then while they were still carrying him a dirty sniper shot him through the head. We lost 600 men on June 18, 1944, killed and wounded. He died on the battlefield and not in the hospital. The Germans lost close to a thousand. I maybe badly mistaken but I beleive he had considerable money on him. Did he send any home before the invasion?

Sgt. Sibley who is from Richmond, Va. was badly wounded a few minutes after carrying Frank. He was shot in the stomach. I don't know if he ever got better or not. About a month later or I'd say a month and a half, Sgt. Crisp was killed by Nazi machine gun bullets. Sgt. Crisp was shot in the spine, so Lt. Higgenbottom of Texas ran out to help him. He was also shot and died instantly. He was kneeling and Crisp was on his back. We made an attack and I passed over their bodies.

You asked me if I knew Robert Silvick and Charles Kratz. I should say I do. Kratz was the company runner, and also my runner. The last I saw of Kratz he told me he was going to the hospital for an appendectomy operation. That was in Germany, and Silvick was killed on the 18th of June and only a few feet from where Frank died. He was literally blown to pieces. A mortar shell fell almost on him.

I'll tell you something else if you won't tell Mrs. McCallick. Please don't. Mickey was almost unrecognizable, wasn't too much left of his body..."

Well I'm not sure that make you feel better or really provides any more than you already know. But he died among his buddies on the battlefield fighting the enemy. That made me feel better about my great-uncle. Brave young men, all of them.

Respectfully,

Paul

Hi all! New addition.

Here are five photos of some the soldiers mentionned in this letter. I must thank my friend A Schramm who got the 1942 photo roster of D/175 (and outbidded me ;-) ...) and was kind enough to make me scans of those photos. Other soldiers mentionned were not in the unit when the portrait poster was made.

vnl0gl.jpg2mg2yyt.jpg919usn.jpgzx0dbr.jpg108gzzm.jpg

Would love to know what the expression "Jeeper cats" means?

Regards, Yannick

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

Yes, this is a great thread,

thank you for shareing that special letter and showing the photos from the roster, it really brings home the reality of what these guys went through (and the memories the survivors had to carry and deal with).

Here's a link to an episode of 'Big Picture' showing the 29th Div. at St.Lo and other places............

cheers,

-John

Interested in US Naval and Marine aviation history, aircrew wings & insignia.

WW2 US Navy and Marine Grumman Wildcat, Avenger & Douglas SBD aircraft.

Also interested in US 5th AF in Australia.

donation2013.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

Thanks Paul and John.

I add this picture of the new addition in the collection. This dog tag was found a few months ago at St Renan, North of Brest, by a collector friend of mine. Needless to say I've been looking to it for a long time and today we finaly made a trade so the tag is home. Other stuff displayed around are for the exhibit. most are related to 29th division, except the religious medal and PH ribbon.

according to MR, 1st Lt Robert H. Roser landed as 2nd Lt , HQco 1/175th. he was later transferred to B co as Platoon leader. WIA July 17th near St Lô, returning to unit in August during the battle for Vire. At Brest he was promoted Commanding Officer on sept 1st, but was badly wounded the same day. the 1/175 was then fighting for Hill 103 at Plouzane. Lt Roser never returned to duty. Hope I'll be able to find a period photo of him.!

Robert H. Roser passed away in 2000 at age 80. This post to honor his memory!

otn1nk.jpg

Yannick

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

Thanks for the photo, Yannick.

As an FYI I think my great-uncle was a 81-mm squad leader. I was looking at the division morning report summary and when he was KIA his MOS was 653, that's a squad leader MOS. I believe that he as in the mortar plaoon because per the TO&E for a heavy weapons company the only staff sergeant squad leaders were in the 81-mm mortar platoon (the machine gun platoon squad leaders were sergeants). If he was a staff sergeant in a machine gun platoon his MOS would have been 652 (section leader).

Yannic, this is amazing work, and very exciting not only for you and your friends but for those of us who can only follow your adventure with anticipation of your next posting. Thank you for preserving all these important personal relics of war and presenting them with so much information, documentation and clear photographs. I have enjoyed reading every post. Bob

- Dedicated to my Uncle Ches -

General Ferdinand Joseph Chesarek

United States Army
Feb. 18, 1914 to Nov. 20, 1993

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

THanks very much Bob! Appreciate.

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!