NORMANDY DUG UP GROUPING (HILL 108 ST-LO)

Thanks for the update Yannick, another incredible find, truly sombering. Well done for you are your buddies dedication to finding and preserving these treasures!

If you can read this, thank a teacher, and, since it's in English, thank a soldier.

- Anonymous

Dedicated to the hard core.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Blake and Johan!

thank you again to you, Fred and Rico for this fabulous weekend!

Yep Nicko, we had good time there! You now can put a place on each finding of this thread ;).

Yannick

!

In memory of S/Sgt Sherwood H. Hallman (PA) F co, 175th Rgt, 29th division, BSM, PH w/olc (wounded in action june 8th in Normandy), MEDAL OF HONOR for action at Ilioc farm, Plouzané Sept 11 1944, KIA near Fort Keranroux, Brest Sept 14 1944. His son Sherwood Hallman II wearing the Medal. All my love to my adoptive family in Pennsylvania USA and to all my veteran friends.
You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Yannick, I have always loved this thread! Tre Bien Mon Ami! :thumbsup:

WANTED TO BUY OR TRADE - AMERICAN FIELD SERVICE, NORTON-HARJES AMBULANCE CORPS, AMERICAN RED CROSS IN ITALY, CZECH AND POLISH LEGIONS AND ANY ARTIFACTS ASSOCIATED WITH AMERICANS THAT SERVED IN FOREIGN ARMIES IN WORLD WAR ONE

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

ecSXx.jpg

"Je meurs content, puisque nous sommes victorieux! Vive la France!

As usual, more great finds & pics. Incredible!!!!! Thank you, Yannick!

Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

THANKS FRIENDS!!! And thanks to Rico for making such amazing field discoveries! He is the best! He made a short film while finding the helmet and I hope he will be able to put it here someday!

Yannick :thumbsup:

In memory of S/Sgt Sherwood H. Hallman (PA) F co, 175th Rgt, 29th division, BSM, PH w/olc (wounded in action june 8th in Normandy), MEDAL OF HONOR for action at Ilioc farm, Plouzané Sept 11 1944, KIA near Fort Keranroux, Brest Sept 14 1944. His son Sherwood Hallman II wearing the Medal. All my love to my adoptive family in Pennsylvania USA and to all my veteran friends.
You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

Verry nice finds Yannick ! :thumbsup:

Just fantastic and where your breath will hold !

Thanks for showing.

Field of interest in WWII and always interested in purchasing items related to the following:

26th Infantry "Yankee" Division

Army Nurse Corps

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA) to ETO men

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA)

KIA Purple Hearts specific men

My personal website about the 26th Infantry Division:

All is verry interesting! Nice you continue to find historic pieces on that hill!

Any secret how you clean the helmet ? I guess not only with a hammer and a tool ?

Thanks for your efforts to preserve history :thumbsup:

" You can manufacture weapons and you can purchase ammunition,

But you can't buy valor and you can't pull heroes off an assembly line ".

-Sergeant John B. Ellery-

U.S. 1st Infantry Division

Hang Tough my friend!

• 2 weeks later...

This soldier's bag was found long ago in a barn in Saint Mère Eglise area, so very far from the battlefield of Hill 108. Name and SN are stenciled on the barrack bag: Harry D. Pearman, 20333449. THis soldier was from 175th regiment and he was KIA June 18th, so most probably on hill 108. Any more info on him would be greatly appreciated

2m0k6u.jpg

30blb44.jpg

2mdh16o.jpg

v5ehhl.jpg

Also if some of you are able to help with those two more markings on the bag:

0550-1 and [X-4S]

note also the invasion colors bars with code 42707

5djs0g.jpg

compare with this colors bars (Code 425??) from this ground pannel case found recently on hill 108. Colors are identical but codes are differents (Is it for two different units in the 175th??? Hope there is some pro here to respond to all my questions!)

6zmwao.jpg

Yannick

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

How amazing to find this bag in the SME area ! Pretty interesting item :thumbsup:

Hang Tough my friend!

How amazing to find this bag in the SME area ! Pretty interesting item :thumbsup:

Yes sure. my friend Gingerbread found it in 1997. He noted on the tag: Chateau de Fontenay (fontenoy?) with the name of the farmer who gave him that bag. Realy just don't know how such material, belonging to a KIA soldier, but certainly not with him when he met his tragic fate, found its way there...

Yannick

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

• 3 months later...

Paul, Thanks for this info on Robert Silvick. I've read a lot on WWII and learned of so many terrible ways to finally die so it's sort of a relief to know that he died immediately.

brucem,

I dug out the letter that mentions Robert Silvick.

This is an excerpt from a letter by Howard D. Morris to a relative of mine in August 1946. I included the text I previously post for continuity.

"...You said did Frank say anything before he died. I'm sorry I can't tell you that because I was too busy. I talked to him only a few minutets before he was shot. He looked around and said, 'Jeepers Cats, Morris.' We both had long whiskers and were dirty. The Nazi were coming in on all sides, so it was rough. I smiled at him to try and make him feel better. He looked at me and said, 'You think this is funny, don't you?' I turned around to shoot and he walked off. I saw him two or three minutes later and T-Sgt Arthur P. Crisp of Baltimore and Sgt. William Sibley were carrying him. He was shot in the leg. Then while they were still carrying him a dirty sniper shot him through the head. We lost 600 men on June 18, 1944, killed and wounded. He died on the battlefield and not in the hospital. The Germans lost close to a thousand. I maybe badly mistaken but I beleive he had considerable money on him. Did he send any home before the invasion?

Sgt. Sibley who is from Richmond, Va. was badly wounded a few minutes after carrying Frank. He was shot in the stomach. I don't know if he ever got better or not. About a month later or I'd say a month and a half, Sgt. Crisp was killed by Nazi machine gun bullets. Sgt. Crisp was shot in the spine, so Lt. Higgenbottom of Texas ran out to help him. He was also shot and died instantly. He was kneeling and Crisp was on his back. We made an attack and I passed over their bodies.

You asked me if I knew Robert Silvick and Charles Kratz. I should say I do. Kratz was the company runner, and also my runner. The last I saw of Kratz he told me he was going to the hospital for an appendectomy operation. That was in Germany, and Silvick was killed on the 18th of June and only a few feet from where Frank died. He was literally blown to pieces. A mortar shell fell almost on him.

I'll tell you something else if you won't tell Mrs. McCallick. Please don't. Mickey was almost unrecognizable, wasn't too much left of his body..."

Well I'm not sure that make you feel better or really provides any more than you already know. But he died among his buddies on the battlefield fighting the enemy. That made me feel better about my great-uncle. Brave young men, all of them.

Respectfully,

Paul

Boy Yannick, you're getting really good at aging all that mint unissued material you found in that barn.... it looks so real. :)

Does Rco Ever get tired of digging? I think he is in the wrong business.

I hope you're keeping the powder from all the ammunition for the 4th Of July !

Boy Yannick, you're getting really good at aging all that mint unissued material you found in that barn.... it looks so real. :)

Does Rco Ever get tired of digging? I think he is in the wrong business.

I hope you're keeping the powder from all the ammunition for the 4th Of July !

Hé hé! I'm trapped like a rat ;)

Rico is of course still digging but he found a new area in 90th division battlefield. With some nice discoveries... We visited the place yesterday along with some friends from France and US ;) . We had good time in the field and saw nice stuff in farms! Rico should join us to share his stuff ;) . Here is a photo of a helmet we found.We just put water on it. Note the top of the red TO still visible on the front.

2nuo1u.jpg

Sorry Jon, no more powder for July 4th :pinch: , I used everything when you were here :lol: (I should find a photo of this good moment somewhere)

And Thanks Paul for the nice comment :thumbsup:

Yannick

PS: Jon, do you have an idea about those markings on Pearman's bag?

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

Jannick ,

Great work yourself and your friends are doing !!!

Your conserving these items is helping put a name to a face during the epic struggle to recover Europe from the Nazi boot .

owen

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Great helmet Yannick ! I assume it's not a dug relic ?

Hang Tough my friend!

I assume it's not a dug relic ?

You're right, it's a farm relic "from the old barn!"...

Yannick

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today is the anniversary of the battle of Hill 108. To commemorate it I put this photo of 3rd platoon, C co 175th taken at Penzance Cornwall short before DDay (Bill Doyle collection). Just sad I have no better photo of those men but two of them are Id'ed, Geo Schneider (remember our Id'ed finds, his camo bayonet and dog tag, on that hill, was the start point of this thread!!) and T/Sgt Doyle.

2mcty07.jpg

Don't know how many of those soldiers were still living a the end of June 18th... And how many made it back home...

29 let's go!! Thanks to you all.

Yannick

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

Nice picture, Yannick. Thanks for posting it.

This might be a good place and time to ask... Does anyone have a picture of D Company 175th? I've seen a reproduction of a 1942 company photo that was reprinted in The 29er, but I'd like to find a good copy.

• 7 months later...

Another one!! 2010 discovery, Not exactly Hill 108, but in 115th area

2dw9oau.jpg

swy9zl.jpg

301hque.jpg

Yannick

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!

Damn the helmets never stop to come out of the ground in the 29th sector! :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work.

Hang Tough my friend!

It's been a long time since we crossed on the net,the last time it was on another forum ;)

:lol:. Yep! It was a too short stay!!

I am still laughing thinking od your incredible username!!!

Best regards to you tchoukiboumtchikitchikiboumba :thumbsup:!

Yannick

You're the best!
29 LET'S GO!