Family Bring-Backs

MasonK

Very nice pieces Eric. You're fortunate to have them in the family!

Thanks, Ian! As long as they're still legal to own, I hope when I go, my son or daughter keeps them in the family. Come to think of it, I may have to work that in my will!

So, I spoke with Karl's daughter (Yugo bring-back) and she was able to provide me with a photo of Karl in his service uniform.

This confirms on thing for me. I have a WWII 1st Cav patch that was found in my grandfather's personal effects (Karl was his half brother). I assumed it belonged to Karl, however when I found out about the rifle, I ruled this out as the 1st Cav served in the PTO.

As you'll ses in the photo, Karl is wearing the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon. With that said, the patch would likely be his.

This then makes me question the rifle. However, Karl's daughter sent away to NPRC for his service file (it's packed away and she will send me a copy when she digs it out) and while most was lost in the fire of 1973, one item remainded that confirms service in the ETO. His daughter also recalls Karl stating he served in an Armored Division.

Based on the photo, it looks like he served a minimum of 1 year in the PTO (Good Conduct ribbon) with the 1st Cav and I assume was transfered to the ETO sometime after the photo was taken into an Armored Division.

I'll likely submit another FOIA request in hopes that there is more to his file.

post-29885-0-94162300-1359475526_thumb.jpg